How can I attract Toads to my Garden?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

What a pretty pond! I love the raised bed idea! And your patio flows so nicely with all of it.
Two questions:
Do the fish eat mosquito larvae?
If they stay there over the winter then the pond water doesn't freeze solid, so how deep is it? Here the water would freeze into a solid chunk and perhaps crack the liner.
yardmom

Post by yardmom »

Goldfish will eat mosquito larvae, and having a filter that moves the water helps too (I don't think mosquitos lay eggs in moving water).
My pond is 16" deep in the center. The fish start hanging out in the bottom when the weather gets cold, and I stop feeding them then. We get down to at least 0 each winter, and sometimes as low as -10, but not for extended periods of time. They make something that keeps a hole open in the ice to help the fish...don't remember what its called, but I don't have it. The pond has never cracked. I just have little fish, donated by the neighborhood kids who get them at the county fair.
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Awesome pond and patio Yardmom. It looks great!

I also like the idea of having it slightly raised. I will ahve to borrow your idea when I get around to making a new water feature.

Great photos too....

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Hey_J

Post by Hey_J »

Thank you, again, everyone!

Yardmom, your pond really IS very pretty and I love it
that you have it above ground some and have built up to it!

I am so excited, because I think I can do that somewhere in our yard,
perhaps near our newly built octagonal deck in the center of our yard!

Yardmom--Let me ask you a question, please--what size filter are you
using and are you not using anything for areation, like a small fountain
or anything else? It didn't look like it from your pics.!
I love the water plants, too!

So, no mosquitoes, and no fish loss (over-winter )and you have toads
or frogs--right?

I've got to do this!!! If not this then the idea Linda offered, of the
small basin in the ground till I can--love that idea, as well, but I'm worried
about mosquitoes in that case. What did you do about that, Linda?

I just love the sounds of crickets and frogs--reminds me, so much, of growing up
in Florida and of my parents' home in North Carolina, (in the mountains)
the last 12 years of their lives. We kept their home after they both were killed
in an auto crash a few years back, and when we'd go down to look after things,
(we live in Ohio) I'd lay in bed with their windows up and just listen to the music!
They had a lovely creek just outside their windows with rapids, but somehow those
frogs and toads multiplied like crazy--tiny babies EVERYWHERE, especially at night!
So cute!! It was probably the boggy areas that they multiplied in!

It was so funny, cause those frogs would be deafening, out in the middle of
nowhere, but they'd all suddenly go completely quiet and within a minute a car would
be coming around the bend of the mountains! How did they know??? :o
As soon as the tail-lights disappeared, they'd be at it again, as loud and enthusiastically
as ever!!!

Thank you all, again, very much! So much great stuff here! I can't wait to get them toads,
and frogs a'court'n in our back yard!!! I love 'em! :D
Janice
Primroselane

Post by Primroselane »

P S I forgot to say that I have hundreds and hundreds of toads, they are everywhere and sometimes I step on them by accident.
Lucille
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Janice, I keep a plant in the tub, this year it's a water hyacinth, last year a canna, etc. That seems to help keep the mosquitoes at bay. Every now and then, usually when I clean the birdbaths, I just fill that little tub up to overflowing with water, gently, so as not to dislodge any desirable critters living there. I've not yet seen any sign of mosquito larvae in it. Here's a pic of the tub today, and also a couple of my new pond.
I think you really need to get frogs and toads in your yard, for the memories they'll call to mind. I love to listen to the night sounds, too. Your story of listening to them at your parent's house is so touching...bittersweet.
My DD and DSIL have a preformed pond in their yard that is set into a raised bed, too. It's worked out quite well for them. They have 5 oak trees on a small lot in town, so digging in the ground for a pond wasn't a good option.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I can tell you're going to have a plan in motion very soon!
Linda P
Attachments
Tub with toadbridge Aug 1 07.JPG
Pond upper pool Aug 1 07.JPG
Pond lower pool Aug 1 07.JPG
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Hey_J

Post by Hey_J »

Oh Linda--I am SO EXCITED!!! I LOVE your tub and pond!!! Thank you so much for the pics and the ideas!! I just have to do this!!!!!

Last night, we were invited over to friends' house for dinner and they asked if we'd like to go sit in their living room and have coffee, after eating! I said, I'd really love to go outside and sit on your patio, if you don't mind? Of course, they were agreeable despite the very warm temperatures. We had a lovely time and he had made a wonderful water feature from a watering can and 3 levels of terra cotta pots and saucers cascading down to a final large clay pot. He says, he gets eggs in those saucers all the time and that he has to frequently kill the tadpoles with chlorine!!! :eek:

I asked him, please, next time just call me and I'll come running with a jar!!! He promised he would.

Then as the evening progressed, all the tree frogs in the surrounding neighborhood started their songs! Oh----how I LOVE THAT SOUND!!!

You are so right, I long to have them in our yard, and having just come in from our deck, after listening to the crickets, only one thing would make my experience so much sweeter and yes, also, bitter sweet--the frogs!!!

I hope, hope, hope I can get hubby to agree to us moving on this----ANOTHER project!!!! Poor guy--he's soo good to me!!
Janice
yardmom

Post by yardmom »

Janice, I have no idea what size or how strong our filter is. I do know its the smallest we could get. It actually is a little too powerful. Right now I have the hose shoved down so it is emptying back into the pond under water. We tried it with a frog spitter, but that frog spit so far we were losing water. I haven't tried a bubbler. Seems big for my pond, especially with pond plants in it.
janey

Post by janey »

This house is in a "woodsy" area and I often see little toad critters in the few gardens currently here....I never thought about actually trying to attract them.

Duh.

After reading this thread, the other day I cracked two clay pots in half to tuck under the hostas and things in my little holding bed. I gently lifted the leaves of FB to place a "toad abode" and all of a sudden a rather large lump of dirt jumped.....Maannn, so did I!!... and landed smack on my posterior.

Guess we both thought that under Fragrant Boquet was a nice place to call home.... :D

But I am glad this was in the back yard and out of sight of normal people. :P
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Silly question . . . do tadpoles turn into frogs or toads?
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

From what I understand both frogs and toads start out as tadpoles. Frogs lay their eggs in clusters and frog eggs look like a lump of jelly. Toad eggs come out more in a line so you'd see a string of eggs. Frogs are ususally found in moist environments after they mature while toads, in general, like a drier environment. Usually frogs will have bigger hind legs and buggy eyes, while toads generally have smaller hind legs and a bigger head/chest area (frogs on steriods). Both eat insects :D
Hey_J

Post by Hey_J »

I'm off and running, thanks to all the very good information you all have provided me! Thank you, again so much! Have I said that before a few times! :lol: I do mean it, though!! I'm so hopeful!

I heard about two chirps from, hopefully, a tree frog while sitting out last night!! I hope it wasn't his last!!!

I found a rubber water bowl, we've use to have out for our dog in the winters (now, totally an indoor so won't need it) and I purchased a couple of water lilies, from Lowe's (marked down to 1/2 price)! I plan to plant the bowl, to the rim and fill with the water and put the plants in and sit and call---"here froggy, froggy, froggy!"

I am, in the meantime, planning a tad bit larger pond with some water movement, at ground level, somewhere in our yard!

Now, one last question, and I'll try to leave you all alone--should the small one, with the water lilies, be in mostly sun or more shade?

Thank you all--I know--- :???: AGAIN!!! :roll:
Janice
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

Water lilies need full sun to bloom.
Hey_J

Post by Hey_J »

Well, I thought I'd update you all! Again, you were so helpful and inspiring that I couldn't
wait to do SOMETHING along the lines suggested!

I have just finished this small pond, today! I started it this morning, the digging leveling etc.!
It is mostly inground! The back-end is slightly above ground level, but, I've built up dirt behind it!
Then I walked around my garden gathering rocks!

I had made a much smaller version, with the water plants but it was very quickly SWARMING with
mosquito larvae! I can't imagine there'd be that many tadpoles so I dumped it and thought I'd have
to give up any way to have my toads/frogs if it would be a mosquito maternity ward in the process! :( !

Then, I saw this heavy poly-form, used largely for mixing concrete in at Lowes! The ends are scooped to
accommodate a shovel. It was only about 5$ as I recall, and I grabbed it and the plan began! :D

I've made two entry points at opposite corners, making ramps of stone into the pond. I have a very
small pump, (60 gph) in the center to hopefully discourage the mosquitoes but not the toads!

Now--if I can keep the Lab from sampling from it, on the way to the back part of the yard, as per her
training for potty runs---I'll hopefully have a chance!!!

Here's the pics. I just took (if you see something I need to tweak or any other suggestions,
please let me know):

I'm thinking--next year--BIGGER!!! That's the way it usually is--isn't it? :wink:

This 3 tiered corner, has a Dog Wood which is slowly dying! I'm thinking, it would be perfect
for a 3 tiered waterfall!!! I'd just have to move the center barrel with the 'Parhelion' in it, out!!
Sigh--upwards and onwards! A plan and project for next year!!! Something to keep me busy
researching over the winter! 8-)

Again THANK YOU---ALL OF YOU!!! It's been so much fun planning and doing even this small version
of what I want!

Oh, I know I won't be able to have the toads or frogs in the 3 tiered one, already--but I just
really want a sound and sight of a significant falls!!!!
Janice
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I think it looks Grrrreat! Nice job!

I don't know anything about ponds, but I do see one thing...if I may....

There's not nearly enough hostas around it! :D

Beautiful job, though, seriously! It looks like it has been there a long time.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
JoshS

Post by JoshS »

Good job! The toads will come...but probably not until spring.

The moving water should keep the water mosquito free, but for added protection I would toss in part of a Mosquito Dunk/Donut. Most garden centers and box stores carry them.
Hey_J

Post by Hey_J »

LOL Charla--you're very right--I need more hosta, but sadly the space won't allow it!
Now if you could pan out the picture a little bit, there's plenty surrounding this spot
to fill the eyes! But, can one really have too many hostas??? The more reasonable question,
might be-- can you run out of room for more hosta--yes, I can and I'm getting there fast! :lol:

Thank you, Josh! So, you think I can put those mosquito things in there and still have the toads
and tree frogs? I was afraid it could harm them!!! Gee--I have to wait till next Spring? I was hoping
to have some next week, already!!!! :lol:

I'm glad you both like my little minature pond!! I'm very tickled with it and really hated
having to leave it this afternoon to go shopping with friends. I just wanted to stay
and keep playing with it!
Janice
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

That looks great, Janice. You're on your way to having a garden full of croakers. :D I haven't had to use the mosquito stuff in my little tub yet. I don't quite know why, but I've never seen any larvae in there.
Oh, and speaking of toads, just the other day my dad was here walking around the garden with me. His vision isn't what it used to be, but he thought he spotted something small moving through the grass. It was a tiny baby toad, much smaller than the ones I've been seeing from the first batch to hatch out. I don't recall seeing any more tadpoles in the pond, but he came from somewhere. He was smaller than a dime...just a teeny thing.
I also have 3 frogs in residence in the pond now. I would dearly love to know how they found there way into my garden. The nearest spot that we have frogs on the farm is out in the back pasture. Do they sense water and set out to find it? It's amazing.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
JoshS

Post by JoshS »

Hey_J wrote:So, you think I can put those mosquito things in there and still have the toads
and tree frogs?
Yup...it is completely harmless to anything but mosquito larvae (and fungus gnats!).
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

That's good news, Josh! Thanks! That was a question I had about them, too. So can animals drink the water? I know my dogs will drink anything that is around....
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
New Topic Post Reply