Blue Arrow

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

hagranger

Blue Arrow

Post by hagranger »

I've been busy culling photographs from my photo files and in going through my hosta photos came across this photo of Blue Arrow that I thought I'd share again.
Of all the oldies in my garden, Blue Arrow really impressed me and still does. It's always been consistently a good hosta and continues to look good the entire season ... not like that ratty Patriot/Minuteman bunch!
Even "foster mom" Wanda has fallen in love with it, although she says it's a bit more "green" where she has it. (Sorry, no current 2007 photos of this one) ...
In the evening light this hosta photographs with an almost unearthly blue like the attached photo shows.
Please correct me if I'm wrong (Wanda has my hosta baby books) ... if I remember correctly this is a Herb Benedict introduction.
I believe it is a 10 ft. rule hosta with its upright pointed leaves and good substance.
It likes to be in "high shade" and did very well in my former garden shaded by both a wooden fence and from harsh evening sun by a large globe arborvitae.

Hosta Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... ue%20Arrow
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Blue+Arrow
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/b/bluea.html

Helen
Blue Arrow in evening light 6 1 5.jpg
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

That is a very striking plant! The closest to it that I have a Halcyon which had that same blue coloring until a few weeks ago.
I like it!

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
Rookie_Green_Thumb

Post by Rookie_Green_Thumb »

Very pretty indeed. I would agree with the 10ft. rule. That is an awesome blue :D
Jaime
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Wow, I like it too!!

Never heard of it....Thanks for sharing!! :D
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Hi Helen,
It's a Ken Anderson plant but I do agree it's a very nice plant and fits the 10ft rule to me also. Another that's similar is Yankee Blue but it has a little darker blue color :wink:
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

I really do like this plant...or...ummm...plants. It broke into two pieces when being dug. This year one clump has 21 eyes and the other has 14 eyes - nice full clumps. Nice distinctive growth habit and very blue - at least until the recent heatwave/drought.

wanda
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Wonder who sells that one? :-?

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Wow, very nice, Helen! :P
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

:o That is a gorgeous blue! :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
digs57

Post by digs57 »

This one's been on my wish list for a while. I like the upright blues very much. Salute, Kingfisher, and Blue Crinkles are other must-haves (and, do-haves for me :lol: ) in this class.
...greening up the Great White North!!!

Digs' hosta list
45° 22' N 75° 43' W, 114 metres (374 ') above sea level.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

That is a beautiful blue! Added it to my list...along with Yankee Blue that Jamie mentioned. I really like being able to see these in others' gardens and getting recommendations. I'm tired of buying things that don't perform.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

Wanda has my hosta book, so she'll have to check to see where I purchased it from ...

Jamie, thanks for the correction to Ken Anderson as the one who introduced Blue Arrow. Without my hosta book I'm sort of flying blind here.

I just remember that when I saw it I had to have it and I've not been disappointed by it. I definitely would recommend it.

My concern is always that with all the new introductions some of these very garden worthy oldies will be lost to the trade.

Blue Arrow is not finicky about being divided ... not like Niagara Falls ... and as Wanda said it "divides" readily into nice clumps (wink, wink) ...

Helen
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

Helen: Your Hosta “Bible” says you got it from Weigold in ‘82.

wanda
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

Wanda,
I was wondering when you'd step in (smile).
Weigold's is the nursery/greenhouse in Chesaning where I bought my very first hosta.
Does anyone have a recent Hosta Finder that they could look up Blue Arrow?
Thanks
Helen
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

It's a very pretty hosta, Helen! :cool:

From The Hosta Finder: H. 'Blue Arrow', K. Anderson, 82, 18", blue, white flowers, Average price $8.32, MANY LISTINGS
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

Pat,
Thank you.
I knew someone out there is cyberspace would come to the rescue for me.
Helen
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

WOW :o That is a great lookin blue!!! Neither one of my blues is blue now. Halcyon is dark green and Fragrent Blue is more green than blue now. They are not getting any direct sun, just "high" shade, but the heat is a killer.

Ginger
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

Helen, it's beautiful!!!!! And I just got it from Margery, my summer secret trade. Blue Arrow and Yankee Blue have been on my wish list for a few years and now I've got one of em.

Molly, Foxfire has it for 12 and Jim's has it for 8. I had that info on my wish list.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Helen, that's a beautiful shot of a great older hosta variety.
I've had it for years, some years it is bluer than others.
LG...you were standing a couple feet from mine when Pat was taking the picture of George sitting in the hosta bed. :)
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Beautiful. I have a baby and its doing well this year, but not so blue yet. It's a lovely dark green, though. Maybe next spring!

Laura
New Topic Post Reply