HAIL DAMAGE!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
sownsew

HAIL DAMAGE!

Post by sownsew »

Hi Folks
We had a storm here the other night. (The house is still standing and intact)
My hostas were shredded (really!) by the hail. (The roof is where it is supposed to be)
Don't know about 'frost' from the hail piles. (All the trees are still standing)
There IS lots to be thankful for!! (REPEAT)
my question is:
What is the best thing to do now?
Should I cut back the damaged leaves?
In some cased that might be ALL of them.
Thanks
Nancy
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

Sorry about the damage! :(

Others may have a different strategy, but I would personally just leave them alone. Maybe just remove the really unsightly leaves. They're all going to go dormant again in 8-9 weeks anyway.

Mike
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Nancy so sorry for the damage you incurred! Mother Nature has been a real stinker this year.

I think that unless they show signs of rotting I would leave them alone since they're still feeding your roots.

Hope they look better next year. Did you loose scapes too?

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
sownsew

HAIL DAMAGE!

Post by sownsew »

Thanks every one.
They look really bad. Really shredded. A few scapes survived.
Will see what happens.
If I can, I'll send pics. Haven't figured it out yet.
Nancy
This has NOT been a very friendly year...late frost, slugs, drought, bugs, high temps, deer, slugs, rabbits.....AARRGGHH
barbara

Post by barbara »

Been through that twice this year, which is really unusual for us, but I say, and have, let them be! Not too much longer anyways, so look the other way :wink: :D
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

MollyD wrote:Nancy so sorry for the damage you incurred! Mother Nature has been a real stinker this year.

I think that unless they show signs of rotting I would leave them alone since they're still feeding your roots.

Hope they look better next year. Did you loose scapes too?

MollyD
I agree...just clean up any as they start to die so they don't lay on and decay on anything. So very sorry for your damage... :cry:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

I'd leave the leaves ... and just spray with a fungicide, etc., to help with any "infiltrations" by fungus until the tears heal. The garden will look a bit ratty but the more leaves you can leave the better.
Helen
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

:( So sorry about the damage, but :) You didn't have any home or property damage beyond that!

I'd do as others have said and just keep up on the removal of those that are rotting and leave the rest to aide in nutrients till fall sets in.

Again, sorry it hit you. :(
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

So sorry! I am right there with you. Mine look like shredded lettuce from a storm in early July. I have left them as is, for the most part. They get uglier after a few days, but what to do? Just enjoying the flowers that are still coming, and wait for next year. :(
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

Hi Nancy: I can say I feel your pain. I've been looking at my damaged garden since June 2nd. I did an experiment as to "what to do". I took one plant and cut it all back. I did get a 2nd flush but not alot of size or vigor. At this late stage of the game you can cut back the stems that resemble celery. I cut mine down closer to the ground. The hosta that suprised me with a beautiful comeback was H. Cathedral windows. I bet you live in Blaine. Kare 11 had serious photos of huge golf ball size hail. I understand they had 70 MPH, straight line winds in New Richmond, WI. Tell me Nancy...do you belong to the MN hosta Society? Maybe our paths will cross in Oct. Our guest speaker is Bob Solberg. Later, Love, Lisa
Attachments
DSCF6091-0001.JPG
DSCF6091-0001.JPG (13.52 KiB) Viewed 1279 times
DSCF6070-0001.JPG
DSCF6070-0001.JPG (24.1 KiB) Viewed 1279 times
DSCF6093-0002.JPG
DSCF6093-0002.JPG (46.7 KiB) Viewed 1279 times
Have I mentioned lately that my drinking team has a hosta problem?
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Any chance Bob Solberg owns horses? I worked in Elk River for a training farm, one of the clients were "the Solbergs", just don't remember their first names.
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
sownsew

HAIL DAMAGE!

Post by sownsew »

Lisa and all
I live in Ham Lake, which is just north of Blaine. I didn't see any really large hail....but hubby wouldn't let me out of the basement! :D
Hail was laying in piles off the corners of the roof. There was a lot in the grass for what seemed like a long time, esp given the temps of the past weeks.
I did just join the MN Hosta Society in May or June. I received the Summer newsletter/May. Will there be another before the meeting?
Would there be any benefit to feeding these injured hosta...Miracle Grow? reduced strength?
Is there a specific fungicide that I should use?
I will just watch these plants, and leave as much as possible, for as long as possible, but keep them 'neat and clean'.
thanks
Nancy
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Personally, I don't think I would feed them with anything...getting kinda late in the season for Minnesota, I would think. Don't want them putting on alot of new growth too late. They recommend here in Kansas, no feeding after 8/1 and I think our frost date is later than yours.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

ACK...I'm right there with you...storm just finished. I think I could be sick to my stomach...it is really, really ugly out there!!!! Kicker I have 50-60 people coming for a party on Sunday... I don't think I can even get the limbs picked up before then..oh my. Well, maybe quests can drag limb to the burn pile before getting their cake..oh my gosh..I'm crushed!!!

Stephanie
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

I'm sorry for your damage. We had 2 storms last year with golfball size hail.
The leaves are still feeding the roots, so I'd leave them on, but I wouldn't fertilize. It's too late in the season.
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

Hi Nancy: I'm not sure if we have another news letter coming before then or not. Bob lives in North Carolina and does not own horses. He does hybridize hosta though.

Oct 27 MHS General Meeting, Speaker: Bob Solberg (Green Hill Hosta), "Advanced Hosta Collecting, Tips and Traps of Collecting Hostas "
at Roseville Skating Center, Roseville, MN
ELECTION OF NEW OFFICERS

I hope our paths cross! Later, Love, Lisa
Attachments
blazing saddles.jpg
blazing saddles.jpg (36.78 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
Have I mentioned lately that my drinking team has a hosta problem?
New Topic Post Reply