Critter problem

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Critter problem

Post by jobranch »

I have something that is playing in the dirt around the base of some of my newly planted hostas. It digs the dirt up. My daughter has a cat, but the cat would have to get so close to the plant that I don't think she is the problem. Any guesses? It is digging in only the newly planted hostas: August Moon, Invincible, Guacomole, Francis Williams, Gold Standard, Krossa Regal, Elegans, etc.

Thanks,
Jeff
jobranch

Post by jobranch »

P.S. What do I do to stop the rodent that is doing this?
lovem

Critter problem

Post by lovem »

i have squirrels that like to dig where i dig. some days i plant small plants and they dig them up and leave them lay there to dry out. i trap them and find them new homes
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

still might be the cat...they like fresh dirt...
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

I would put down some screening material with a little dirt on top or put it under some mulch.
bengal

Post by bengal »

I have read that squirrels will dig in and around newly planted areas - plants, bulbs, whatever. I've seen them do it here. Probably what's going on at your place.
woodthrush

Post by woodthrush »

Skunks will also dig in soil that has been loosened. They like bugs and grubs. They like voles too.
Pam
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

Most likely squirrels, but opossum, raccoons and skunks also will dig in the newly turned soil looking for bugs and grubs.
Helen
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

I have the same problem here. It's either squirrels or chipmunks. I set mouse and rat traps around my plants. Also I spread red pepper very thickly around the plants. Between those it seemed to deter most of the digging.

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
jobranch

MollyD

Post by jobranch »

Thanks for the red pepper suggestion. I'll try that.
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

I have used Liquid Fence for Rabbits, Dogs and Cats. I think that is what it says. Not the one for deer, but I sometimes use both when I see deer tracks in the hosta bed. Anyway, I use a root growth stimulator when I plant and I think coons like the smell of it and dig my new plants up. When I spray newly planted hostas with the Liquid Fence they leave them alone. If I forget I know it.
Good Luck,
Sue
New Topic Post Reply