Sick of the rain!!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

HostaDesigner

Sick of the rain!!

Post by HostaDesigner »

ARRRGH!!

(bangs head on desk)

More on the way.

-sigh-

I have cabin fever and it's not even late winter yet! We've had around 9 inches over the past week or so. Granted, I'm thankful we don't have the flooding like a lot of other folks. I'm just venting. It's ruining my chances to get out and pollinate with my plantagineas.
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

Not me...we need MORE rain...LOTS more rain...before the horde of tourists descend upon us over Labor Day. Otherwise, one careless cigarette/hot muffler/unattended campfire (although banned)...and POOF...northern Michigan is a charred wasteland!

And the hosta really need more moisture to plump the crowns before dormancy - it has been horribly dry all season. They had frost just a bit north of us last week!

wanda
woodthrush

Post by woodthrush »

Frost? Oh say it isn't so! I'm definitely not ready for fall weather.
Pam
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

I'm with Wanda regarding the rain. It's very much needed.
Things have been a bit dry and shriveled here.
Last week 75 of the 80-something counties in our state were put under a burning ban (in or near state forest lands) due to the drought we've had. Including Wanda's and my counties.
As for the frost ... here in the northern tundralands of Michigan the frost can come early. Wanda's a bit north of me yet.
My average expected frost date is Sept. 30 but it could be earlier depending on Mom Nature.
Helen
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
mmsgrv

Post by mmsgrv »

I wish I could have some of your rain. We've been in a drought and a heat wave. The temps have been in the 100's for several weeks now and the local water supplies are drying up. We've been on a water restriction and I haven't been able to water anything for about a week. I'll be surprised if my hostas survive this.
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

It's odd. We were in a "moderate" drought for weeks, then the skies opened up. We've been in a tropical rainforest ever since. I have so much fungus, mold and mushrooms in my yard, it's almost laughable (in a maddening sort of way). Southern Blight? Oh, yeah...it found my daylilies in the front yard.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Man, don't like the idea of that southern blight! We've had rain everyday since sunday but not as much as you've had!

We've had maybe a total of 3 inches in 5 days, with more due. I can handle that! We need it with our restrictions at 3 X a week for outside watering.

I thought the ban was for any outside burning? Not just around the state land?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Last week we began to have some rain each day. At the same time temperatures dropped to 41 last Saturday morning. Today our temperatures have rebounded and 92 is forecasted. Rain continues and I'm seeing scapes coming up on both hostas and daylilies. It's a WEIRD year! :???:

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
Arlene

Post by Arlene »

Last week -- about 6 storms ago -- the weatherman announced that we'd had 11.5" of rain in 5 days -- which was more than the total of the previous 5 months put together. The lake is higher than we've ever seen it in August, after being low all summer.

I'm grateful not to be having real floods, like Findley, Ohio, and mudslides like Hank's area. My big worry is that when the ground is so saturated, the big old trees are very vulnerable to wind. One memorable spring years ago we watched a maple slowly fall over -- just clipping the East corner of our house. Had the wind direction been just a few degrees different, we'd have been right under where it fell. Because we're at lake level, our water table is very high, and these soakers pose a real threat.

On the other hand, the hostas look great and the grass is green again!
hostaanita
USDA Zone: 6

Post by hostaanita »

Our eyes should be good and pump with the rain we've been getting this summer. Didn't have to water once :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Making our world beautiful , one backyard at a time.
    newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

UGH........I don't know which is worse. All that rain in such a short period of time or the return of the hot ,humid weather we are experiencing now. I feel like a limp ,wet noodle with mold between my toes. Okay...that might be a bit too much info. :roll: :lol:
    ~JOAN~
    My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
    dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

First drought, then major hail, now flooding...what a year!!!

We live on a hill, but DD had 2 ft of water in her basement, and the intersections at each end of her block were blocked off due to standing water. :eek:

In comparison, hostas are hardy, they will come back better next year.
    Spider
    USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

"Okay...that might be a bit too much info...."

That and the mental image of:

"It's ruining my chances to get out and pollinate with my plantagineas."

:bd: :lol: :wink:
    Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
    wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

:lol: These threads are begginning to show the 'affects' of being inside without sunshine and/or constantly soggy shoes (thus the moldy toes)! :D
    Primroselane

Post by Primroselane »

We finally got rain tonight, in our area we only got 6 inches total of rain this summer counting from the 1st of May. So we are very grateful. My Hostas are saying thank you. And my trees are smiling.
    Lucille
    wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Wow! Really? We just got another 7/10ths this afternoon! I'm getting those constant wet feet fears (the moldy ones) that Joan's complaining about. Can't walk in the yard without soaking your feet! :roll:
    HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

Spider wrote:That and the mental image of:

"It's ruining my chances to get out and pollinate with my plantagineas."
    :
    Y'awl dont know whut goez on 'round here B-four 6 a.m wen its still dawrk. :-?
    flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

As I sit here typing I hear drops of rain. I sure hope it is a long slow one as we are about 7 inches below normal. We have had one rain in 2 months or so best that I can remember. And the 100+ degree days are taking their toll on the garden and me too.
    But on the lighter side, at least my house isn't sliding downhill. :)
    On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
    Cheryl
    My Hosta List
    newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Yes...the hostas are loving all the rain and the golf course I was on Friday was soooooooooooooo green and beautiful, thanks to all the rain. We were supposed to get thunderstorms starting last night and into today, but nary a raindrop in sight ..........yet. :???:
    ~JOAN~
    My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
    wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

With all ohio has had, you've not gotten enough? We had another 3/10ths overnight. Ever day we've had something. the least was Tuesday, only 2/10ths, and thus allowed for mowing that night. I think we've had 3 and 3/4 inches this week. It's been a slow, long drizzle or light rain, occasionally heavier, but has soaked in great! Love not dragging those hoses out!
    New Topic Post Reply