Pic of the Day--Aristocrat

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Aristocrat

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Today's variety, Aristocrat, is for those of us with a lot of patience. A lot of patience. The leaves are very attractive but the plant has really taken its time to grow and lose its sparse look. I got the plant in 2000 and have it growing in a spot that gets only occasional afternoon sun. It has had an overall clump measurement that has been remarkably consistent. Starting in 2001 its measurements have been 19x7, 17x7, 19x7, 21x7, 23x7, 26x11 and 28x9. While the clump has "filled out" some during that time, the photos show how few leaves the plant produced until this year. The registration size, as listed in Lemke's data base, is 16x12. As a sport of Hadspen Blue (48x18) some can expect a size somewhat beyond the registration numbers. On the plus side, Aristocrat has not had any slug damage. The pix are from 2002, 2004, and 2007.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... Aristocrat
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Aristocrat
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/a/aristocrat.html
Aristocrat 6-25-07c 038.jpg
Aristocrat 7-8-04c.JPG
aristocrat 6-24-02c.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Wow! I love it! I guess patience isn't a such bad thing when it ends in such a pretty hosta! Very pretty!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Love that hosta! I lost mine in the freeze this year...it was a new planting late last year. I definitely want to replace it.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

I got one of these last year at the AHS convention auction, with at least one good streaky division (sold as such). Even a "normal" plant can look a little streaky. I do hope it grows to be as nice as Hadspen Blue. But I was disappointed that it didn't set any seed this year.
AristocratStrkd.JPG
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Aristocrat

Post by Marlys »

Hank,

I've never disagreed with you before over a hosta but Aristocrat is one of my favorite little plants in my garden. However, it was a nice multi-eye plant when I bought and it gets quite a bit of sunshine. Maybe I just didn't have to endure the waiting game. I love my Aristocrat.

I was just wondering why we are willing to purchase single eye divisons when there are nurseries out there that sell nice retail ready size plants at the same or even lower prices than certain other places/people. There are those that sell tc plants first year instead of growing them on and putting them on the market the next year when they would be much nicer plants with lots better odds of survival. It might be sold as a gallon container but is really a liner pot -first year, little root system just stuck into a larger pot.

Go figure.

MM
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

This is one of my all time favs that I will never be without.

Thanks for posting the great photos

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:oops:

Had to look for mine.. it was hiding under a huge Gay Search and like Hanks.. it have been slow, very slow... it might need a bit sun... :-?

Thanks for sharing and a special one to Hank

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

Aristocrat is worth the wait ...
Helen
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
New Topic Post Reply