Pic of the Day--Frances Williams

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Frances Williams

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Having Frances Williams can be a bitter sweet experience. It can be a great plant.....if only it wouldn't burn out so badly. I have 2 of them and finally gave up on one a few years ago and replanted it off in the nether regions of the garden. It turned so ugly each year I just did not want to have it where it would be easily seen. The "bad" plant received less sun ( a couple of hours in the morning) than the "good" one (2-4 hours in the afternoon). The plant in today's pic does get a small amount of burn out, as seen in the pic from this past summer, but overall it shows why Frances Williams remains a popular variety. This plant was purchased in 1993. Over the last seven years its size has varied from 73x28 to 56x22, about in line with Zilis' listing of 63x28. Slugs have never been a problem.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... 20Williams

MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Frances+Williams

Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/f/francesw.html
Frances Williams path 6-25-07c.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

:eek: Oh my! I really must read about a hosta before transplanting! UGH! I just transplanted this last summer from an area that received too much sun, and thus was burning a little. Thing is, I did NOT give it any room! I suppose with the added root competition, It had NOT grown as large as I thought it would to be large, and thus stuck it where it will over take all others surrounding if reaches any of those sizes! Oh MY!

But Hank, As always, your's is beautiful! I really like mine, it has done well, with only minimal burning after the move. Thanks for sharing your handsome :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Francis Williams

Post by jobranch »

I like Francis Williams so much that I purchased a second one this year for a different bed. It's shape is soooo good that I did not want to divide it. This is one of my favorites. Also, my FW is two years old. First year, no burn, but this year I have had some.

Jeff
sownsew

Pic of the Day-Frances Williams

Post by sownsew »

Lovely!
This one gets 2-4 hours of afternoon sun?
Hot, early afternoon, or cooler (?) late afternoon (after 4)?
Think I need to re-locate my FWs, too.
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Sownsew--Depending on the time of year and where the sun is, it probably gets as little as 2 hours and up to maybe 5-6 hours. The sun that does hit this spot would be from mid to late afternoon..
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
New Topic Post Reply