Pic of the Day--Marion Bachman

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Marion Bachman

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Since being added to our garden in 1999 Marion Bachman has become one of my favorites. (the correct spelling of the first name is Marion, not Marian as listed in the Library) It grows in a spot that gets very little, if any, direct sun. It has done well in that environment, growing from 41x13 in 2001 to 38x16, 44x17, 52x18, and 50x20 in 2005. It was sprayed (apparently a small amount) with herbicide in the spring of 2006 but has almost fully recovered and this year measured 46x17. Lemke lists it at 28x18 and "medium". It has good slug resistance.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... %20Bachman

MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Marion+Bachman

Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/m/marianbachman.html

The photo is from 2007.
Marion Bachman 6-25-07c 057.jpg
Marion Bachman 6-25-07c 057.jpg (44.14 KiB) Viewed 2786 times
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

Hank,
I'm trying to learn so please help with this question. This looks like another hosta to me but I can't remember the name. What other hosta does it look similar to?
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

'Marion Bachman'

Post by thehostagourmet »

VThosta/daylilylover: I'm sorry but you need a name to go with your location. VThosta/daylilylover is just too long to address you.

It looks like too many other Hostas. That's the trouble. 'Bright Lights' comes to mind immediately.

George
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

Thanks, George.
I should have read the posts more before I picked a name, they ones I thought of were taken. Unfair to others in the state to address me as VT as I'm not a native either. Will figure out how to do this...
Yes, I guess my point was that it reminds me of too many others also but I wasn't familiar with Bright Lights either.
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

VThosta/daylilylover--Well, copy and paste is one way to deal with your handle. :D But, a change of name would not be such a bad idea either. :D

As George indicated, there are a lot of hostas that have similar appearances. Frankly, I'm not very good at keeping track of the differences. The Hosta Library does have a search engine that might help in finding similar varieties. This is all part of the frustration of the hobby, I guess.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

It looks a lot to me like Gold Standard, a little like F. Albopicta.
Then also like Katherine Lewis, Paradise Joyce...
VT you can put your name in every post automatically under your profile preferences, like mine says Dave at the bottom, George has his name at the bottom.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Hank, there are many that you grow that are larger than 'listed' elsewhere! I ususally list your sizes as probables in my lists here at home, b/c I feel they are more accurate. After growing for some time in your gardens, it certainly seems more believable than many listed with sizes that are rather young when shown in the library.

Just another reason your POTD are enjoyed! :D Thanks again for posting them all! :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Jane--Thanks for the comments. As you know from reading my Pic of the Days, I am rather irritated at the inaccurate information that we hobbyists are given about general plant performance as well as sizes. That is one of the reasons I have taken the time to keep size records over time and post them for others to read. I do realize that some gardeners will not be able to grow hostas as large as mine, due to less favorable conditions. I also try to give an honest description of poor or below average performing plants so that other hobbyists can avoid buying plants that may not grow well for them.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Wish there were a rubric on the registation form you could fill out :wink:

Thanks for showing all your love for hostas and being the one who gives al lot of great info to all of us
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

And we really appreaciate all the time you've put into keeping that information Hank! :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
New Topic Post Reply