Pic of the Day--Earth Angel

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Earth Angel

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Blue Angel is the largest variety in many hosta collections. So, when a variegated sport of it comes along, hostadom takes notice. We received Earth Angel as a gift for our Friendship Garden and planted it (unknowingly) in a batch of trilliums. So, when you are looking at the photo, try to imagine what it will look like next year when the trilliums are gone. (:-) I am expecting Earth Angel to be a real attention grabber when it nears maturity. The Hosta Library describes the plant as being 60 inches wide, which would be in keeping with the very large size of its sport parent. The registration size of 39x16 is probably another example of information that does not match reality. Our plant was 24x14 in its first year and 31x12 this past summer. With its very good substance, slugs should not be a problem.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... th%20Angel

MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Earth+Angel

Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/e/earthangel.html
earth Angel 6-25-07c 013.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
Carol W
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Carol W »

That's a nice looking hosta, I must add that one to my list!
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

One that's been on my list and I've wanted since the first pic I saw! Now it's one of those nagging my urges again! Great photo! You'll need to post again in the spring after it's leafed out, I be it will be stupendous! Very pretty hosta, I think! :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

The bigger they get, the more amazing they become. Saw a few on the tours, mine is still adolescent but getting there.
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Pic of the Day--Earth Angel

Post by redcrx »

Here is mine. It has been in this spot since 2010 with a lot of root competition.
Earth Angel - July 21, 2014
It gets some interesting leaves.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

It would seem you have something closer to Dream Maker than to Earth Angel. Has it set seed for you on one of these streaky divisions?
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Hmmm, I just thought that was normal for this plant. I hadn't noticed that one division was streakier than the other. I don't have any flower pictures and this season's got chopped somehow - I always think "rabbit" when I see this.

Here it is over the years with its "buddies".
Only one photo from 2011 with Blue Angel on the left and Fallen Angel on the right:
Earth Angel - June 3, 2011
Earth Angel - June 3, 2011
Here it is in 2012. The Blue Angel is at the top. The Fallen Angel didn't survive.
Earth Angel - April 22, 2012
Earth Angel - April 22, 2012
Here it is a few days later. In this photo you can see a Confused Angel further to the right. It had been planted with the others but hadn't been in-frame before.
Earth Angel - May 1, 2012
Earth Angel - May 1, 2012
Here it is later in the season. Blue Angel is in flower. Earth Angel is done flowering and no seed pods. Confused Angel is on the right edge.
Earth Angel - July 4, 2012
Earth Angel - July 4, 2012
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

A few more photos continuing the time-line.

Here is 2013.
Again Blue Angel on the left with Confused Angel on the right.
Earth Angel - May 18, 2013
Earth Angel - May 18, 2013
Here in mid-July Blue Angel is flowering and Earth Angel is done flowering.
Earth Angel - July 10, 2013
Earth Angel - July 10, 2013
Here it is in early 2014.
The bottom division is more streaked than the top division.
Thanks Dave for pointing that out. I need to watch the flowers more and protect them.
Earth Angel - May 9, 2014
Earth Angel - May 9, 2014
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

I think that Dream Maker is known for NOT setting seed well. I'm not sure about Confused Angel (which has at least produced Flemish Angel).
It always seems strange that a change in variegation can have that much effect on what is otherwise a terribly fertile plant. I don't know that any of the Blue Angel sports are good at setting seed.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I was out at a garden center yesterday and spotted a little Earth Angel with some interesting leaves. It had a main flush of normal leaves but t the base there were 3 sprouts that may be streaked sports. Should be fun to watch.
Earth Angel - June 6, 2018
New Topic Post Reply