First Freeze Warning

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
mommatina
USDA Zone: 5

First Freeze Warning

Post by mommatina »

We have our first freeze warning for tonight... I cleaned the beds out last week and mulched some things, moved the 2 hosta I have in pots to the building .. so I am as ready as I'll ever be I guess... With the hot dry weather we had this summer I was really lazy with the garden.. I did start a new bed, moved all the hosta from under the maple tree to it... I started out with great gusto and then kinda dried up like everything else as the summer got hotter... I hope the hosta forgive me... I have found most of them to be a forgiving bunch...
http://mccomaswv.com/Beartown/beartown_wv.htm
Tina
Challenges make you discover things about yourself that you never really knew.
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

We had a cold front come through...got down to 73* F, whatever will Tampa do?? I miss real weather changes!
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

We finally got a killing frost, more than four weeks later than last year, which was the latest in the 23 years we had been here on the farm; only had the merest touch until now and still picked tomatoes a couple of days ago.

I KNOW that global warming is not a Good Thing for numerous reasons...but it surely feels good here!
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Yep...we had frost on the pumpkins this morning! It was supposed to get down to 31 degrees last night. DH actually turned on the furnace for the first time this Fall. :lol: (we did have a fire in the wood burner a couple evenings already). I've been neglectful of the garden the last month, so I guess I'll have to get out there this week and make sure everything is put away for the winter. :roll:
Is it too early to say "Hurry up Spring!!!"? :lol:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

There was a killing frost in the area Sunday morning, and I did have frost on the car windshield. It seems not to have touched my garden, though. I'm still picking tomatoes and peppers. Some of the hostas are looking pretty ragged, probably more due to the lack of rain in the last 2 months than the cold.
I agree, Viktoria. It seems really nice to have these extra days of warmth.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

We had two nights of spotty frost last week. It was supposed to get cold yesterday morning, but didn't. We live in a low spot, so anytime it is going to get down to around 38-39 I have to be watchful if I still have anything out. We will get one stripe of frost that runs right down the center of our long driveway, across the open area and to the barn. Most all else is under trees. My sun beds are there...including the roses, hibiscus, coneflowers and the veggie garden (when one is planted). This summer's gardening was so bad, though, that there was nothing still blooming to cover! Didn't plant a veggie garden this year as DH didn't get the tiller running.

Had been working on moving tropicals into the greenhouse gradually over the last week. No more frost expected this week, and temps between 65-70 all week except Halloween.

I'm loving the warmer fall, too, but I still don't think it is too early to wish for spring, either! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

We had our first killing frost last night too. Down to about
-3 C and up to only about +6 today. Also very late for us as we can usually expect such a frost around the end of the first week in October.
Ann
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Here in my area of Central Illinois the average first hard frost date is October 31 and we are right on target. It got down to 31 degrees last night and nipped the most tender plants. The hostas, peppers, and tomatoes didn't seem to mind though. I need to get out there and finish up the fall cleanup and get some tulip and daffodil bulbs in the ground.

I love this weather!!! November is one of my most favorite months. I don't need August or February. :D
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Jane.. you can have my January... long, grey, dusty,rainy and dark... I'll take your August :wink:

Global freezing have been the word here since mid June.. ready for a winther depression mid August, but September and October have been fair.. not great but fair..
We are one month ahead of sceduale...
Pia .... Hoping for spring in January :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply