Pic of the Day--Blonde Elf

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Blonde Elf

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Let's face it, many of us hostaholics are guilty of a certain bias when it comes to large sized varieties. You know...the "my Sum and Substance is bigger than your Sum and Substance" mindset. But beginning today and going on for the next couple of weeks I'll be covering a grouping of wee ones. The proper terms are "dwarf" or "mini" or "small".

The first of these is Blonde Elf. This nice little splash of yellow will get lost in many garden beds but is appreciated in its spot near the bench in our Friendship Garden. It has measured 5x2 and 11x3 on its way to 24x8.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... onde%20Elf

MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Blonde+Elf

Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/b/blondeelf.html
blond Elf 6-25-07c 054.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Thanks for starting a mini-series, Hank :) Being a suburban gardener means space is at a premium, and I have, almost out of necessity, developed a penchant for the smaller varieties. Needless to say my wish list has a large number of mini/small cultivars on it.

Blonde Elf is a new one for me this year. I did a trade with a lovely lady in Ottawa (Hi Dorothy :wink:) and she was quite insistent I have this cute little charmer. It's early days for me with this one since I only received it late July, and I'm looking forward to seeing how quickly it develops next year. I like what I have seen of it thus far.

Other small/mini ones around our yard are Feather Boa, Fresh, Dixie Chick, Lemon Delight and of course my favourite: Blue Mouse Ears.
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

I agree, and am also fond of the minis!

I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Laura
Carol W
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Carol W »

Me too! I need some more mini's so I know I'm going to enjoy this group and pictures...
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Hank!!

I too, will like the smaller ones.......I don't have BE, but being a blond, maybe I should! :wink:

Thanks for the POD's Hank! :cool:
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I planted a mini bed this year, so I hope most of them will survive over the winter. I do love the little ones and I'll be looking forward to this series. Thanks Hank!! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Eleven
USDA Zone: 6a

Re: Pic of the Day--Blond Elf

Post by Eleven »

A cute Blonde Elf, mine actually lightened a little as the summer progressed this year (as it should). This was taken late August:
~Shawna
Eleven
USDA Zone: 6a

Re: Pic of the Day--Blonde Elf

Post by Eleven »

I divided mine after that pic from 2012, and it's same size again in 2014. Quick growing small hosta. More green this year, as it was moved to more shade and this pic was taken about six weeks earlier in the year. I didn't like the late summer leaf burnout.

Hosta Blonde Elf 2014-0715
~Shawna
New Topic Post Reply