How late in yr should I water?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

How late in yr should I water?

Post by jobranch »

My hostas are still up, and we have had no rain here in the last two weeks. We had two mornings where temperatures got close to freezing, but by the way the hostas look, it did not freeze here. Should I water this weekend? When do I stop watering?

Jeff
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Jeff--I would water them. There is still a lot of plant activity going on, particularly in the root systems, that requires water. I don't have a science based set of facts but I think it is good to water if the soil is dry up to the point where the ground might become frozen. I don't know how that would work out in your much warmer climate.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Post by jobranch »

Hank - thanks, since it did not freeze, it should be a little longer before they go dormant. I assume that a freeze triggers hostas going dormant.
Wild Dog

Post by Wild Dog »

Dormant roots do not take up water so watering up to dormancy probably is ok but to much water in the winter and early spring leads rot problems (fungal/bacterial), heaving, freeze/thaw. And, the roots can't use the water anyway!

Balance is the best advice for all our gardening chores.
Conflict is as addictive as
Cocaine, Alcohol, Cigarettes
I’m sorry to report
That cooperation is not
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

Water as long as the plant has living foliage.
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

I agree with Hank. If the soil is dry then you'd be best to water. Not enough moisture content in the soil will lead to dry rotting also..
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Jeff,

I continue to water mine until the leaves start dying back. Here in Oklahoma we have recently had some cold snaps that had temps at freezing in the early morning. Several of my hosta had leaves that were impacted and they are dying off.

I know folks up north say not to water after the plants go dormant for fear of rot but with my climate and soil type I leave my pots open uncovered all winter and I allow nature to water and I don't worry about rot.
Matter of fact if we have freezing temps in the forecast I will water before the freeze. It actually helps keep the pots from freezing because the temp of the water warms the soil.
Just my two cents. You will find what works best for your climate in Alabama. I sure hope ya'll get some rain soon!

Ginger
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Jeff, It's been weeks (maybe 4 or 5) since we've had any significant rain. I planted some bulbs yesterday, and had to get about a foot down to find any moisture in the soil. Yikes. DH put the hoses away for me prematurely. I had to take them apart to untangle them. He thought I had sorted them out to put them away, so he was being a good boy and helping out. I didn't have the heart to ask him to haul them back outside. I'm really hoping we get rain soon, but there's nothing in the forecast for over a week. I usually water the hostas up until the leaves die back, and water the evergreens up until the ground freezes. I still have hostas standing here in my zone 5 garden.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply