Pic of the Day--Lakeside Elfin Fire

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Lakeside Elfin Fire

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Many of the varieties with red petioles have the unfortunate characteristic of having a clump form that does not show the coloring. That is not a problem with today's plant, Lakeside Elfin Fire. This miniature has a nice open clump that shows off the red base of the stems. We added the plant to our garden last summer when it measured 8x5, just a bit short of the listed mature size of 10x5.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... fin%20Fire

MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Lakeside+Elfin+Fire

Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/l/lelfin.html
Lakeside Elfin Fire 6-25-07c 019.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Hank!!

When I see my two Lakeside Elfin Fire's, I think of the Old Coot.....They were pressies to me from him for Mother's day and my birthday..... :bd:

I can't find a picture of them from last year, but they are way more filled out this this one in 06...

Thanks Hank!!
Attachments
Pic's 172.jpg
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

It's a great multiplier too. I planted it in a strawberry jar this year, and it shot one eye all the way to the top from the middle level! Here's a nice closeup.

I also got two scapes from it and some pods. It produced a fair amount of pollen for such a small plant too.

Laura
Attachments
L Elfin Fire.jpg
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Yours don't seem to be showing any red in the petioles. Is there any red coloring?
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:hmm: I don't remember.... :???:
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

I see it in yours, but not in mine. I got it from Hallson's in the summer of 2006. I'll see if I have any other pics that show the petioles better.

Laura
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Here you go, they were hiding a bit!

Laura
Attachments
L Elfin Fire petioles.jpg
jgh

Post by jgh »

think this might be one of the keepers in the mini category... can always use a good growing white centered one... and for speckles, we've been growing
Chickadee, the reverse of Dixie Chick. DC grows very well for us, but Chickadee has only been OK grower.l

We got Lakeside EF last year from the wholesaler and it was one of the winners at our spring sale... looked good immediately in the pot, seemed vigorous and is quite attractive. Lots of visual appeal, with the speckles standing out against the white, good contrast with the margin. Don't think much of the name... but people bought it based on how it looked without too much attention to the name.
mum2knm

Post by mum2knm »

Definitely adding this one to my wishlist for my mini/dwarf garden. :)
Sabrina
New hosta addict
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

I added this one last August. I'm afraid I didn't get it out of the pot it came in until Autumn when I temporarily put it into a new garden area. But I'm looking forward to watching it grow.
Lk_Elfin_Fire-0815sx.jpg
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

I have had this one for 2 summers and it really seems to multiple for such a mini. It doesn't need any extra care like some of the mini's. Nice one for me as I am still learning as I go.
Sue
New Topic Post Reply