'Fair Maiden' and 'Lakeside Kaleidescope'

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
moongirl

'Fair Maiden' and 'Lakeside Kaleidescope'

Post by moongirl »

Has anyone grown both of these? I got LK last year after flipping a coin between them. I love the look of Fair Maiden and they seem to be similar.
Wondering because of the recent postings on LK. I may have to get Fair Maiden as well!
Kat
moongirl
digs57

Post by digs57 »

At first glance, it's hard to believe there's any difference between the two just from photographs, but there is. LK is significantly larger than FM. It has a much more ripply edge, and blooms a little later. FM has more of a tri-colour look, with some nice streaking of the white edge towards the centre. Of the two, I think FM is a more interesting plant.

Digs.
...greening up the Great White North!!!

Digs' hosta list
45° 22' N 75° 43' W, 114 metres (374 ') above sea level.
moongirl

Post by moongirl »

Thank you, digs. But of course, now I NEED Fair Maiden, lol! Kat
moongirl
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

My FM was new last year and looked anything but "fair" in its first year. Am sure hoping that it comes round in a new season.
Ann
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

My Fair Maiden does get prettier every year. I love the overlapping tones, white brush strokes, and unique leaf shape. Good luck with yours, ViolaAnn.

Hosta Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... r%20Maiden
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Fair+Maiden
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/f/fair.html
FairMaiden.jpg
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

This is mine from April 27,06. I started it early in the greenhouse and it is the second year for it. I have always grown it in a pot. It more than doubled in size from its first year to its second. This pic shows early spring colors and it is a little pale from just coming out of the greenhouse into the sunlight. It darkened up quite a bit as the season progressed (and it got some fertilizer :D ).

I really like FM. I won't go as far as saying it is my favorite, but I like it a lot. Performed very well here. I would definitely replace it if I lost it.
april 24 004.jpg
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

HI--Here is my Fair Maiden.
Fair Maiden 6-25-07c 055.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Nice examples of FM above. I will think good thoughts about mine. :)
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Leaf pictures may show a similarity, but digs is right on with the differences.

I've grown both and have had good and bad examples of each, so they can be picky about placement. If you are able to grow a nice looking Lakeside Kaleidoscope I would recommend trying Fair Maiden as it really can be pretty (as you can see above :) ). If LK is a dud for you, FM might be too :???:
Liselotte

Fair Maiden etc.

Post by Liselotte »

Failure to grow hostas in my garden are blamed on the short season and cool summers. Many minis will usually survive the first winter but shrink in size and then not make it through the second winter.
This happened with Fair Maiden (I killed all 12 plants over a period of 3 years).
Lakeside Kaleidoscope is another story! What a surprise, it grows well and is a good medium sized plant, definitely a winner !
FreakyCola
USDA Zone: 5

Post by FreakyCola »

Hank, does the gold moneywort ever bother your hostas? I have it in one bed and try to keep it away from the crowns but yours seems to be all around and very close to the hosta.

I have both FM & LK in the same bed. It's pretty shady and most hostas there don't increase in size much, I guess it's just too dark. I'm thinking of ways to increase the sun there, maybe with a system of computer run mirrors that will calculate where the sun is, make each mirror move to reflect the sun onto the house, where it will bounce up into the tree and back down on the hostas so it doesn't burn them up. Or perhaps I could program it to reach fake hands up into the trees and push the leaves away for a specified time each day. Now all I need is a computer capable of that, brains and a ton of money & mirrors. No problemo! :roll:
New Topic Post Reply