Pic of the Day--montana 'Aureomarginata'

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--montana 'Aureomarginata'

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Today's variety, montana 'Aureomarginata', is universally regarded as one of the truly premier hostas. It's wonderful foliage is stunning from the first day it emerges in the spring (often one of the first hostas to emerge) until the end of the season. I purchased the plant in 1997 and for the last several years it has been in a spot that gets a couple of hours of mid-day sun and high shade otherwise. Its steady growth rate took it to 52x26 in 2001 and then it went 64x28, 66x31, 66x31, 72x38, 79x33 and 78x32. Zilis' listing is 68x27. Besides its other fine characteristics, it has great slug resistance.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... rginata%27
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/montana+%2 ... rginata%27
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/m/maureo.html
montana Aureomarginata 6-25-07c 047.jpg
montana 'Aureomarginata 5-8-02c.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
loisf

Post by loisf »

Beautiful photos, Hank. I spotted two montana Aureomarginatas growing in a garden and was overwhelmed by their beauty. I stopped to question the gardener, but she had just moved into the house and had no idea what variety they were. She said I was the third person to stop and ask. I went on a quest, and finally discovered its name. I now have one of my own and am anxiously awaiting its arrival this spring. Thanks to the forum, I learned to protect it from early thaws, so it's covered with mulch, sleeping under the snow.
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi--With hostas, I think you will only have to mulch them for the 1st winter. That is what I have done here and have never lost one. Actually, it is probably not necessary to mulch them the 1st year either but it seems like the safe thing to do.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

Beautiful pics, Hank.

This is one of my best favorites. :lol: (can you say that?)

For whatever reason (characteristic, placement, etc); MA is my first hosta to appear every year and often does get zapped with a late frost. I have started to give it some extra mulch. I may need to move it closer to the house so that it is more protected and I can see it more.
moongirl

Post by moongirl »

I am planning on getting a Ma, possibly this year, so this is a timely post for me.
Thanks Hank!
moongirl
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Beautiful Hank!! I got mine from our Roxanne!! I just need to get me some shade built for it.....This year, I am hoping!!

Thanks for sharing!! :P
New Topic Post Reply