Pic of the Day--Great Expectations

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Great Expectations

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Great Expectations is probably the most aptly named hosta variety. The most successful growers "only" have to wait 3-5 years for this plant to finally start showing off its wonderful potential. Less successful growers may have to watch as the plant fades off to nothingness or just hangs on year after disappointing year. For those whose great expectations are fulfilled, Great Expectations is often regarded as the most beautiful of all hosta varieties. I purchased my plant in 1995 and waited, and waited, for about 5 years before it finally showed its glorious potential. In 2000 I moved it to a spot that gets about 3 hours of mid-day sun, from a spot that got 4-6 hours of afternoon sun. I don't know if the change of location was the cause of the plant going on a growth spurt. By 2001 its size was 49x26, and then it went 64x27, 61x24, 48x23, and 54x27. Zilis lists it at 58x29. The plant has never had slug damage. I am including my favorite photo of a leaf in the fall.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... pectations
MyHostas - http://www.myhostas.be/db/hostas/Great+Expectations
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/g/great.html
Great Expectations Leaf 10-10-03c 006.jpg
Great Expectations 6-24-02c 241.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
zil1

Post by zil1 »

Beautiful, Hank. I'm afraid this far south this one didn't do squat for me. :lol: Good to see that your baby lived up to "expectations".
Liz- Mom to Evan James, b. 12/10/03 and Catherine & David 1/30/06
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

That's a great looking plant and I LOVE the color in that autumn leave. I got my GE last year and kept it potted and it grew beautifully, so I unpotted it and plunged it into the veg garden to overwinter. :) I will probably repot it in spring... from everything I've read, I think it likes to have its roots "bound".

I'm surprised to hear that slugs don't like i!
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

So gorgeous, Hank! My GE is not yet living up to it's full potential. I expect to have to wait a year or two more. :???:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Beautiful but slow, never seen the red in the autum pic golden yellow here
One to get as a beginner--- in a good corner

Mine is stunning as yours - after 7 years
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply