How 'bout that AUCTION?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

greenguy

Post by greenguy »

Alexa, I agree that is a great looking hostas but out of my budget now

I wish they stated what the planned to do with the money before the bidding, it may be worth bidding more imo. I look at the auction as a place that I am willing to pay more for plants since it is for a good cause.
bobaxe

Post by bobaxe »

Hi Laura
Wanted to mention the DB seedlings I donated, I have a large amount to pick from so a person could get about anything they wanted, I would take some photos and let someone take their pick.
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

This is the first year I ever got around to bidding and they sure have a suberb group of plants to choose from. I got a DB seedling from Bob A. off of an ebay auction and it is a lovely seedling.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
bobaxe

Post by bobaxe »

Here is one shelf of seedlings, not too good of a photo though. There are many good well streaked db seedlings, some of the best I have ever grown.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (32.04 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

They are looking might nice, Bob! Those sure look tempting.

:D :D
bobaxe

Post by bobaxe »

Thank you very much
They are all the way from gold and gold streaked to light blue streaked to looking like clones of db. I should mention I only got a few of the gold streaked and light blue streaked ones so am keeping them for hybridizing.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (30.66 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (29.58 KiB) Viewed 1716 times
Bill Meyer

Post by Bill Meyer »

Hi Greenguy,

This year the money from the auction is mostly going into the First Look treasury. Two years ago all the money from the auction went to the HVX research program, and last year half went to the HostaLibrary. Our primary purpose at First Look is promoting hybridizing of hosta by showcasing and rewarding the efforts of those that work to advance the genus. Because we are able to make more money than we need to do that, which includes about $1,500 spent on awards alone every year, we do the auction for other good causes that affect us all.

One we are holding money for now is a printed booklet that we have agreed to pay for about registration. The registrar is considering setting more rules about registering to clear up some of the vagueness and these would need to be put into a booklet to send to people thinking about registering.

We are looking into some other good uses for the extra money, but don't have anything firmed up yet. Possibilities include a public species collection with importing of new species material from Asia, or new research into hosta scientific questions, or maybe even financing hosta collection trips to places no one has looked before like Western Russia in hope of finding new species. We don't have the kind of money it would take to do projects like those on our own and can't organize them ourselves, but would like to be a part of such endeavors if they could be arranged. Also we can make emergency donations if there is a situation like the HVX research running out of money to finish the project ($40,000 for the whole thing). I'm not sure if they have much more than half that at this point.

To do things like that we need the money on hand to donate when it is needed. If something came up in June, we couldn't say that we will run another auction and get them the money next February. They could well need it much sooner.

Anyway, it's kind of hard to explain the whole thing but extra money in the treasury will be used for good causes as they come up. There just aren't any right now that need the money. There will be and we will be donating to them when they arise from the money we raise this way.

Good Luck to everybody who's bidding. Hope you all win the plants you want.

........Bill
If you thought the auction was fun, come to the meeting!
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Thank you Bill

Remember all the auctions close today at 10 PM East.... :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
bobaxe

Post by bobaxe »

I never knew there were hostas in western Russia, could believe it in the east.
Bill Meyer

Post by Bill Meyer »

Hi Bob,

Ooops. Meant to say in the east. There are the Kuril Islands, Sachalin Island, Kamchatka, and that part of the mainland that runs down the coast. Seems a good chance that there could be new species there if you look at a map of where they know hostas grow in the wild.

There was talk about ten years ago of a Russian scientist who was on a plant-hunting expedition of some kind. She said she saw hostas in the wild, but I don't remember where exactly other than it was in Russian territory. As far as I know she never went back. I don't think there was much plant-hunting in those areas what with the Cold War and all.

It would be pretty cool if some totally new species turned up there.

.........Bill
If you thought the auction was fun, come to the meeting!
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

The HVX research is certainly beneficial to all of us.
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

bill, thanks for the info
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Hi Bill,
Have you ever thought about moving the First Look Meeting across the US at all? The reason I ask is cause I can't and probably will never be able to make a meeting where it's at now, so how can this part "awards" for hybridizing benefit me? Is it possible for me to ship plants to someone that goes to the meeting to enter for me or do I have to be present to win? I know it's in Vermont this year but that still to far for some of us to travel
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Not that I am involved much at all....but I would vote for research to find an effective product to eliminate foliar nematodes....
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

Bob, I bid on your DB seedlings, but was waaayyyy outbid. :cry:
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Foliar nematodes

Post by thehostagourmet »

Charla, that was my thought too, but Bill explained that there were effective chemicals to eradicate them. The EPA has outlawed them all. The chemical companies can't justify the investment and have the EPA do it again.
George
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Auction results

Post by thehostagourmet »

The last recorded bid on the last three items was each 1 to 10 seconds too late. Great last minute bidding!
George
KatailS

Post by KatailS »

Hi Jamie~
Carol and Bill can correct me if I'm wrong but First Look came to be as a Specialty Division show (under the guidelines of the AHS Judges Handbook) and operates as a stand alone show. It is run by Region One, thus why it takes place somewhere in Region One each year. It joined up with the 2006 Convention when it was in Philly and will do the same in 2011 when the National Convention is in New England. I do believe that a similar show can be done in other parts of the US (or anywhere else)... just needs people, plants and guidelines.

That all being said.... I see no reason why you could not send a plant (or more) to someone who is going to enter on your behalf. Any awards are given to the originator of the plant no matter who enteres it. Each year we have plants entered on behalf of originators who are not present. So... feel free to contact me if you want to enter something! The more plants the more fun!

Kudos to the First Look Auction staff... another great auction! I am thrilled for the winners (and bummed I am not one of them)!
Cheers~
Kathie
KatailS
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Final total was over $7400!
bobaxe

Post by bobaxe »

Thank you Debbie
I agree Charla, it would be nice to find a cure for nematodes that doesn't eat your hand off applying it.
New Topic Post Reply