Nematode control?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Nematode control?

Post by caliloo »

While I was getting the link for the Deer thread, I noticed the Crab Shell write up on the Neptunes Harvest website. I had a couple of hostas last year that lookied like they may have nematodes, but since they are not near anything else I wasn;t going to worry too much.

Since this product claims to create a hostile environment for nematodes, and I am ordering anyway, I will give it a try this year and see if there is any difference on the affected hostas. Can't hurt - right?

Alexa

BENEFITS OF CRAB SHELL 2-3-0 Ca23
Neptune's Harvest Organic Crab Shell is an excellent dry organic source of NPK, Calcium (23%) and Magnesium (1.33%). It will also help with nematode and fungus problems. Here's why: Crab Shell is high in Chitin (Kite-en), which promotes the growth of Chitin eating bacteria in the soil.
The exoskeletons of fungus and nematode eggs are high in
chitin. Crab Shell when added to the soil helps to create a hostile environment for the fungus and nematodes by feeding the biological life that eats chitin and chitin based organisms.
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
whip1

Post by whip1 »

I've suggested this to a few people that have had nematode problems. I've never had any experience, but I'm curious about the results.
Izzy

Post by Izzy »

I would also be very interested in the results of this!
Still trying to find a Canadian source for Messenger, with no luck!
Izzy
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

People were talking about this at hosta college. I don't know if it was in a class that they heard about it? Sounds like it could work to suppress symptoms if it knocks down the population enough. Anything you use is unlikely to completely eliminate them, but if it works to keep the symptoms away that would be great in the garden.
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Doesn't sound very scientific....sounds more like marketing.

I used to bait for Japanese beetles not knowing it would attract them by the thousands to eat the tree and roses at my little townhome (previous place).

Laura
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Crabshell mulch

Post by thehostagourmet »

Actually, I understand that the University of Vermont has done some research on it. I'm waiting for a reply from that person at Hosta College whom Chris mentioned.

Actually, if the fungus will eat the exoskelton of my enemy, I'm all for it. What I wonder is how it gets into the leaves and crown.

I'm not familiar with Neptunes Harvest. What is the site, Alexa?
George
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I'd be interested in learning more, but wonder how the chitin eating bacteria gets into the soil in the first place.
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Sorry George, I thought I had included the link........

http://www.neptunesharvest.com/

Look under the "Products" tab on the left.

Let me know if you decide to try it too - it will be interesting to compare notes.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
whip1

Post by whip1 »

Chris_W wrote:I'd be interested in learning more, but wonder how the chitin eating bacteria gets into the soil in the first place.
they're already there. You provide them with enough food, they multiply, devour all of the chitin from the crab, and then start to look for other sources. Then they eat the nematodes.
thehostagourmet

Chitin

OK, Alexa, now it's making more sense. It's a bacteria, not a fungus as was described to me, that feeds on the chitin. Chitin is in crab shells and nematodes and fungus. Bacteria are also small enough, theoretically, to get into the Hosta leaves and eat the pests and their eggs. If they stay just in the soil, it won't solve our problem.

There is supposed to be another crabshell product, a mulch in 40 pound bags, that is available in the big box stores' garden supply centers at reasonable prices. I'm going to check this weekend.
George
Maggidew

Post by Maggidew »

This is a little on the 'dry' and academic side of things, but it does give a clear description of the types of nematodes, the damage they do and how they do it, and how to best control parasitic nematodes.

http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/nematode.html
Maggi
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

"dry" and academic is definitely more scientific sounding at least!

Laura
thehostagourmet

Nematodes

Maggi, unfortunately there is no mention of foliar nematodes. Most nematode research has been for food crops.
George
Maggidew

Post by Maggidew »

Thank You! I love the www, I learn something new nearly every day.

I spent the first 43 years of my life in western Oregon, with a strong family background in gardening, and even went back to school in my 30s to take a degree in horticulture. Foliar nematodes are new information to me!

When I moved to Texas 12 years ago I tried a few Hostas here but did not have much success. I am trying it again this year and it's valuable information for me to know that such creatures exist.

I did find this from Ohio State University:

http://extension.osu.edu/~news/story.php?id=2223

Thank you for the head's up on these!
Maggi
thehostagourmet

Parwinder Grewal

Maggi, that's a useful article. Thanks.

You'll note the mention of the American Hosta Society as part of the funding for Dr. Parwinder Grewal's research. Unfortunately, that was terminated due to a feeling within the AHS that Dr. Grewal's recommendations were somewhat influenced by chemical companies who were also supplying him with funds.
George
Maggidew

Post by Maggidew »

Very interesting info. I have been out of the retail nursery business since leaving Oregon and am just now getting re-educated.
Maggi
New Topic Post Reply