Fireworks - just emerging

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
jgh

Fireworks - just emerging

Post by jgh »

Potted up some plugs of Fireworks today... aren't the little eyes cute?!
Attachments
Fireworks 003 rdcd.JPG
Fireworks 002 rdcd.JPG
Fireworks 001 rdcd.JPG
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

8-) Looks a lot better than my Fireworks will this year. It was a no-show last spring. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

Yes they are cut and colorful!!!! I don't have that one.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Cute! I'm with Reldon. I don't think mine is going to show up this year. I bought one at Dubuque in 04, it died in 05. I got another one, a very nice sized one with great roots, from Hallson's in 06. It came up last year, somewhat smaller, and then was accidentally stomped and pretty much disappeared. I think this might be one that should be potted up for a few years to get it going.
Anyone else having luck growing this one? Give us your secrets!
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Linda - I am almost willing to bet that you & I got ours in Dubuque from the same seller. And I remember the price. $28 :eek: And the plant was extremely small. But I just had to have it... :roll:

I did keep giving the seller crap about ripping everybody off. So there was some small consolation. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
jgh

Post by jgh »

It will be interesting to see what Chris has to say about this one. I "passed" on it last year, then had folks asking about it. The Hallson's price - $17 - suggests that it might be a little touchy, not dropping as rapidly in price as some of the vigorous new varieties.

This is a Walters' introdution... they call it a small hosta and say it is great for containers due to the stiffer, more upright way the leaves are held on the plant. There is one hint in the description that suggests caution to me, though... it is a sport from Loyalist.

I have, for some time, considered the whole Patriot family to be the most overrated group of hostas in history... and the white-centered sports to be the most disappointing of the lot... so we'll see how this one does. Thankfully, wholesale price really came down on this one this year, so I didn't have to go too far out on the limb to get 20 of them... and 9 of them are already spoken for by my "regulars."
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Not a small hosta, it is a mini, and it does often grow better in a container where you can regulate the moisture more, but this plant has almost no vigor to it left unattended in the ground.

If I can't find a multiple eye plant I sometimes ship 2 for 1, although last year they all were so small I pulled them from sale completely. After giving them a 2nd and 3rd winter in the ground I just hope that they did something. I dug one the other day that wasn't too bad, but don't know how many out there are like that now.

Just remember my rule for miniature hostas: Some hostas are minis because they are naturally small. Other hostas are minis because the *&^%^#$ things won't grow! Fireworks falls into the latter category ;)
Dee
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Dee »

LMAO - I like the way you think, Chris! :lol:

I think I bought Fireworks last year. We'll see if it comes back. I am *gulp* getting rid of most all of my gardens this year - no time and this isn't my home anymore. My parents don't want all of this - I foolishly always thought they would. That's what I get for thinking!
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Reldon, Yep, same time, place and price. I just had to have it, too. :(
Chris, I suspected as much, and fully intended to grow mine in a pot. I really don't know why I decided to put it in the ground, except that I have this great soil, and most anything grows well in it. Then I meant to pot it up last year and never got around to it.
I like your description of minis. I have a Leather Sheen that has decided to be in the mini category. I think it's about 7 years old now, and still is one of the smallest hostas in the mini bed. I keep thinking that one year I will have to move it out of there!
Dee...sorry about having to give up your gardens. I'd have a real hard time with that.
Linda P

My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks for the good, long laugh, Chris. :D

Linda - S______-E____ - right?? Only vendor in Dubuque that I remember having it that year.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Fireworks

Post by Marlys »

Oh, my! I didn't know Fireworks was suppose to be an icky plant. :eek:

My neighbor & fellow hostaite, David won one at the 2004 Hational covention & gave it to me. (I wouldn't spend the money or more likely had all ready spent all my money.) :lol:

And - I hate to go against popular opinion here, but I have enjoyed the little plant & it is in the ground, on its own! So again, it is proven, ignorance is bliss! :wink:

Fireworks has been really fun for me :!:

MM
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Marlys - now that you know that you're one of the few who's had success with this, I'm afraid we'll have to erase this new information from your memory.

:eek:

:wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
jgh

Post by jgh »

what information??? :wink:

(remember... I just bought 20 of them!)
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I'd already forgotten that...

:wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

:lol:
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I grow it because people ask for it all the time, and they are very cute so I keep trying. Every year we probably lose more than we sell, though, but I figure the ones that survive a couple winters here are probably a little tougher. At least I hope so!
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Reldon...this thread seems to have erased some things from my memory, but I seem to remember a certain smiling face, and those intials are trying to dislodge something from the mists in the recesses of my mind.... :lol:
Marlys, Now I know I have to get out to your house, to see what a growing Fireworks looks like!
Linda P

My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Linda - it sounds like you need Dumbledore's silver bowl & wand so you can extract that misty thought & examine it better... :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply