Hey, Hey, got my Hallson's order yesterday.

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Hey, Hey, got my Hallson's order yesterday.

Post by Pandora »

Came home and this nice package was fit snuggly in my mailbox. Brought a smile to my face. "I know what this is" :D

Nope, not going to name them...............

well OK, don't want LG after me. :lol: :lol:

Diva
Fantasy Island
Guacamole - mine was mature one year and gone the next.
Moonlight Sonata - WOW!!!! what a root mass
Silk Kimono
Spring Fling

Chris & Brian send such nice plants. I believe all were multi eyed. Thanks so much.

They are getting potted up tonight, so I can take my good sweet time to wander around with the soil & plants in a wheelbarrow deciding the perfect spot.
eastwood2007

Re: Hey, Hey, got my Hallson's order yesterday.

Post by eastwood2007 »

Pandora wrote:
They are getting potted up tonight, so I can take my good sweet time to wander around with the soil & plants in a wheelbarrow deciding the perfect spot.
Got a chuckle out of this part, cuz as I read it, I could feel myself walking around your yard with you, coffee in hand, looking for the best spot for the hostas!!!

Do we all do the same thing??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
LucyGoose

Re: Hey, Hey, got my Hallson's order yesterday.

Post by LucyGoose »

Pandora wrote:
Nope, not going to name them...............

well OK, don't want LG after me. :lol: :lol:

I would NEVER!! :lol: :lol:

Yep....Chris is the bomb!!! :wink:
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

Sounds just like I do it. Have you been watching me, sure hope not as I take quite awhile to make up my mind where the perfect spot is for each new hosta. Want to make sure it will like its neighbor when I plant them. It's been so cold here that I haven't got the urge to even plant my new purchases yet. Will keep them in and out of the basement until the nights get warmer. At least I can control the temp on the new ones so they don't turn to mush when we get that last hard freeze when they are unfurled like last year.
Sounds like you have some really nice ones to find that special planting place for.
Enjoy your day!
Sue
Rookie_Green_Thumb

Post by Rookie_Green_Thumb »

Looks like you made some very nice choices! Congrats. I had to laugh at Eastwoods description of walking around w/ coffee in hand...glad Im not the only one that wanders and takes forever to find that 'just right' spot. :lol: My mother and I do a lot of wandering around her flowerbeds doing the same thing...talking, planning, admiring....
Jaime
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I tend to 'visualize' by standing in one spot and staring at the garden until I have it rearranged in my mind. No wandering around the yard with a coffee cup in hand for me. LOL I'm sure if any of my neighbors are watching, they think I'm nuts. But then if they've been paying any attention at all for the last 20 years, they should already know that. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Nice group of hostas you got from Hallsons!! :P
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I do the same thing.......only with a cup of tea (since I'm not a coffee drinker). I always pot them up and decide later where to plant.
Sounds like a nice bunch of hostas, Pandora! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
jgh

Post by jgh »

A few thoughts about your selections... I like all the plants you picked... haven't paid much attention to Fantasy Island, but the rest of them all have display spots in my garden.

My Silk Kimono is nice, but I think its deep shade position has kept it from growing very rapidly... and brighter light might also make the nice contrast between the margin and center more striking.

Spring Fling is nice, particularly for its rippled and serrated edge - its the only one I've seen with actual little "teeth" on its edges... so placing it near enough to be able to point that out to guests is a nice idea.

Guacamole, as you know, needs quite a bit of light to grow at its best and I like it near enough to a walkway to make the most of the fragrant flowers. (It is also one of the hardiest hostas I've ever grown - something very bad must have happened to take out a mature plant... you've probably talked about this before, but I don't remember... do you know what happened? The only thing I've ever had affect Guacamole [and pretty much all the "plantaginea" developed fragrant hostas] is rot from too heavy / too wet roots and crowns.)

Actually, the reason I decided to reply is a remark about Moonlight Sonata. I don't think it is as widely grown as it deserves - really nice, if a little slow in a nasty, dry, dark spot in my gardens. Really nice form to the leaves, but the best thing for me about MS is its very nice dark green. I think for best color it probably should be in a fairly dark spot with probably no direct sun.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

You really should try Fantasy Island, Jim. It is one of the best middle variegated plants I have, multiplies great, stays nice looking, and great blooms and scapes :)
jgh

Post by jgh »

thanks for the suggestion, Chris. I'm not much for middle-variegation... too many disappointments, I guess...

but I went out and located my Fantasy Island - and found that I placed it right up front in one of my main display areas in a bright area... and it has 12 eyes poking up. So maybe this one will enter my consciousness and become a favorite.
New Topic Post Reply