Growing Minis in Strawberry Crocks

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
k9clipper

Growing Minis in Strawberry Crocks

Post by k9clipper »

Has anyone had success growing minis in Strawberry Crocks ( I think that is what they are called, they look like 4 or 5 small pots all stacked together ) I was thinking about doing this, because I'm afraid my minis will get swallowed amongst all my large hostas.
Hostahaveum

Post by Hostahaveum »

Funny thing, klipper I was gonna ask the same thing :-? I was thinking of a Blue Mouse Ears planter , mama on top & all the sports , around. If anyone has done this let us know the particulars please. I do remember reading some where to fill the center of the pot w/ something light so it can be moved if needed.
Hostahaveum
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I've seen pics of people who have done that...it may have been on this forum last year...

One thing....the Blue Mouse Ears group are not really minis and would probably outgrow a strawberry pot the first year, unless it was a very large strawberry pot... :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
planwerk

Post by planwerk »

Take look at this, its in german but the pics tell the story!
http://www.hosta.at/forum/index.php?topic=410.0

Greets planwerk
Seebruck, Chiemsee, Germany
Zone 6b (526 m above sealevel, 1,5 m above lakelevel ;-) )

"Ein Leben ohne Hosta ist ein Irrtum"
frei nach Karl Foerster
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

I have tried it twice, unsuccessfully. My soil just drains too quickly and they don't get watered well enough. I would suggest some of those hydrogel thingies that I think Chris sells to help retain moisture.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:oops: tried it :oops:

Cats eye...died
Thumb nail...died
venusta... survived
Pandoras Box..went from 7 or so eyes to one

Blue Mouse Ears... grow out of its hole and inside the pot to the top hole

Praying Hands in the top.. fine

Problem

I did not add enough chicken grit to the soil... never saw draining problems, but I expect the soil have been to rich for the minies

They dry out fast and you have to water every pot and the top

Tried it with herbs last year... bad idea :evil:

Hmm,... may have to try it with strawberries...anyone ever tried that ?

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

A strawberry pot with strawberries planted in it?? :o Whodda thunk of such a thing!!

:wink:

I haven't used one of the strawberry pots for minis, but I still plan to try it one day. I know I have 2 pots in the basement I bought several years ago to try with minis. I seem to remember comments from people who had on here several years ago. I think Pia's results were similar to other's. The minis that were the hardiest thrived and the rest didn't or died.

I remember that others had the problem of some in the lower 'pots' sending roots/new eyes into pots that were at the upper levels. I remember someone suggesting that a barrier of some kind be placed to keep the roots from intermingling. If they did well, then the roots invaded the neighbor's roots and vice versa. Trying to divide them/get them out of the pot was very difficult without actually breaking the pot. I thought that if I ever try it, I'll use sections of plastic milk jugs to create pockets/barriers inside the pots. And that could also help some of the minis like Pandora's Box that seem to need to be in a situation where they're slightly rootbound to really thrive.

And as was mentioned, some minis are really only minis until about their third year. So you need to realize which hostas will actually be a small hosta even though they are masquerading as minis when you 1st buy them.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
jody

Post by jody »

I've grown minis in strawberry pots for several years. The only problems I've ever encoutered are that: you have to water very thoroughly to be sure all the plants get water and not just the top... and you have to divide them at minimum every other year or they really diminish. Other than that have always had good results with them.

I've got pics somewhere :???: No time to find them at the moment though.

Oh... and Pia I just planted one with ornamental strawberries last week. It looks great! I'll try to snap a pic for ya :D
New Topic Post Reply