Neglected Babies

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Justme

Neglected Babies

Post by Justme »

I shamfully admit I haven't really taken care of my hosta babies for the last two summers. Cleaned out the worst of the weeds once or twice and that was pretty much it.

I went out and really looked at the beds for the first time today. I am missing probably 1/5 of my hostas. I think my spilt Milk is gone, so is Robert Frost, Komono Dragon, Niagra Falls. Several others are barely there - LS Dragonfly, Sum and Substance, Fragrant Bouquet, Royal Standard, Blue Angel. I think it is a water thing. The shade trees have gotten so large that they are blocking the rain from getting to the hosta and cutting back on the sun. Plus the roots.

But then some like the Francis Williams and On Stage are doing great. Go figure.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I lost several over this winter too, Tami, and the winter before that was so much worse. I hated to lose them, but what can you do? Just go on and replace that empty spot later with something that might stick around. I feel for your loss. :???:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Justme

Post by Justme »

Joan, the Garden Treasure you sent me in a trade about 4 years ago is huge and bumpy and breathtakingly lovely. I think of you each time I see it. So, happy thoughts go your way at least once a day in the summer. Unfortunately the ones on eather side of it are itty bitty, one eyed wonders this summer and they have always done well, even last year.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Heyyyyyy Tami!! How ya been?? Nice to see you!! :cool:
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

Hi Tami, glad to see you back.
Weren't you supposed to move somewhere without internet access ?
I think you sent me my Komodo Dragon in a trade a couple years ago. It's alive and well. There a litte crown rot going on wqhen I received it, but I got rid of it. I used the pollen from the cut flowers for hybridizing, too.
Maybe I can send you a piece back.
Justme

Post by Justme »

Hi Dave. No I wasn't moving, but just got side tracked for a while. Yes, I did send you K.D., from mine that is now gone. Must have been some crown rot in mine that I didn't know about. That would explain why I am losing some of my babies, maybe it has gotten do some of the others. I just know that summer before last I started having some of my plants just wither away and dissappear for whatever reason. That is why I got discouraged and started not taking care of them.

I am determined to reform and take care of them this summer! Got everyone weeded, feed and slug killer out. Alfalfa tea steeping. Will have DS incharge of watering in mornings if it doesn't rain.

Good to be back gardening and hang around here more often.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

Cool, I'll take a look and see if there is a piece easy to separate off. I think there is.
Justme

Post by Justme »

That would be too cool, Dave. I even have the same spot that has been empty at least one year now. Hopefully anything that would have caused the rot is gone now.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
New Topic Post Reply