most expensive......

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
vawildflower

most expensive......

Post by vawildflower »

Which hosta do you feel has given you the least bang for your buck? For me, I paid 50.00 (i think) for love burst and it has done nothing...still the same size when I bought it...very small and not anything special about it. Just a 50.00 dollar Love Pat. A real disappointment at this point....maybe that will change in time. For the prices we pay, it would be nice to hear your stories.

thanks
wild
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

Back when I was an avid "collector" I shelled out a C-note for a 'Tattoo'. It limped along for years, never getting to maturity. If I could only get that time/money back....sigh...
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Mine isn't quite in the big bucks range you guys are talking about. I think the most I've ever spent on a hosta was $35 at an AHS online auction. I got Ran Lydell's 'Yucka Ducka Do' and enjoyed it in a new garden for about 3 months after I finally received it from him. Every other hosta in that garden was present, accounted for, & looking great the next spring. Except that auction plant. It didn't frost heave - it simply disappeared... :roll:

Another big disappointment for a little tc plant was Fireworks. Had to have it cuz it was brand new & looked so cute - even though it was a tiny thing. So I shelled out $28 to a convention vendor. It was never that big again cuz I had to look harder in the holding bed to find it every year after that since it kept reducing in size. :x I believe it was last year that I found the dried out husk that had frost heaved.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

I spent $50 for a one-eyed division of 'Flamboyant' (Soules Version), planted it, then it went from bad to worse. It came up the second year and then literally mushed up and rotted away. :evil: I've never had a hosta do that poorly. Needless to say its off my list, I won't be giving that a second chance.
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
Justme

Post by Justme »

I think I paid around $40 for a L.S. Dragonfly and it has not really taken off. This year it has reduced to only one small eye.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
John

Post by John »

I got L. 'Dragonfly' in last year's secret trade, and it looks great!

However, 'Fire and Ice' as mentioned above is a disappointment, to say the least, and kindly...

The most I ever spent on a Hosta was $17, and that was a couple decades or more ago, on 'Northern Halo'. There are still one or two eyes...

Second highest: 'Patriot', well worth the $10!

I've actually spent higher amounts on seeds, notably Katsuragawa beni X ?, none of which seedlings showed any red. I am thinking now I should probably have crossed those seedlings amongst themselves (sib crosses) to bring out any recessive red genes?
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

Fireworks - it would be a great plant if it would grow. mine is not dead but it has been the same size since i got it (i think 3 years now)

embroidery - it looked ok when i got it but turned out to be the most expensive plain green hosta i had and i can't even find it in my garden anymore - i probably gave it away or it died
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Greenguy, maybe you should go look in your sister's garden for Embroidery. :???:

:wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

Not counting the atom smasher (200.00 :eek: ) that actually did live and is thriving in several spots in my beds and in one pot..............I count my repeated failures with the same plant:
Like: maui buttercups, salute and midas touch , I have tried repeatedly to grow these same three and they keep dying. I give up on them.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

renaldo - could be :lol: :lol: :lol:
John

Post by John »

Salute and Midas Touch do fine for me, but INVINCIBLE should have been called anything but, it disappoints every year, and is the first to go down for the winter.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

And my Invincible has looked good every year in spite of being strangled by roots & one year being munched on twice by deer. :???: Everybody seems to have their own problem hostas.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Post by jobranch »

$29.00 for this Great Expectations. I no longer have great expectations that it will ever look like one...

HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

renaldo75 wrote:And my Invincible has looked good every year in spite of being strangled by roots & one year being munched on twice by deer. :???: Everybody seems to have their own problem hostas.
Invincible is one of my favorite plants for seeds too. LOTS of 'Moonlight Sonata'-type traits for robust plants.

I forgot I bid a couple hundred bucks on a Dorothy Benedict thru ebay a few years back. I was outbid!! Foolish moment saved by deeper pockets than mine!
New Topic Post Reply