Not Pic of the Day 6-04-08 "When Good Things Happen...

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
jgh

Not Pic of the Day 6-04-08 "When Good Things Happen...

Post by jgh »

Some years back there was a very good book entitled "When Bad Things Happen To Good People." It was a rabbi's attempt to help people work through the grief and rage that follow unexpected loses in life.

Being a parodist by nature (I was working on "The Seven Habits of Highly Ineffective People" when someone else published under the same title!) I was sorely tempted to write "When Good Things Happen To Bad People" as a humorous attempt to explain why so many SOBs seem to end up rich and/or in positions of authority.

Anyway, this NPOTD installment might be entitled "When Good Things Happen To Bad Gardeners."

In a completely successful good year, when our lives are manageable and we can dedicate ourselves properly to the garden, we will weed, fertilize, Preen, and mulch all of our gardens by early June.

Unfortunately, Life Happens, so we haven't had a completely successful good year since... well... ever, I guess! But the last several years have been particularly busy as our May hosta sale has grown into a small business and then we have travelled for the whole month of June for the past two years.

So the weeding doesn't get done properly. And the Preen (a chemical product that retards the germination of weed seeds) doesn't get spread. And the mulch composts into a good seed-starting medium.

But the Law of Unintended Consequences has positive results as well as negative. Even after gardening with hostas for many years and having raised them from seed, I had no idea just how easily they reseed in the garden. They seem to come up in any place left undisturbed. We miss weeding a section - next year there are a bunch of hosta babies peeking up. We miss spraying roundup on our (fake) cobblestone walkways - there are baby hostas everywhere. The railroad tie walkways accumulate a little dirt between the ties, or in crevasses in the ties - more baby hostas.

And, being softies, we hate to pull out a hosta. When we see one, we leave it. We are sure we will get back to it and will move it into our "back forty." We are, of course, kidding ourselves. We won't get back to them. We are busy gardeners. They will stay there - always in the wrong place - growing larger. The next time we see them, it will be even harder to pull the seedling. The net result is a mess... but a fun mess. A few photos to illustrate...

A nice, established, labeled 'Medusa' in a showy part of our garden... and what is THAT doing there!

And that one is 'Junior Miss'... no - the variegated one... the blue one is a... volunteer...

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... ior%20Miss
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Junior+Miss
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/j/juniormiss.html

Here we have a nice planting with 'Last Dance' at the top, 'Flash of Light' in the middle, and the delightful 'Kiwi Blue Baby' at the bottom... whoops, where is FOL? OK... change in plans... this is a display showing that the seeds, possibly from the same seed pod, can give you yellow, green, and blue seedlings!

'Kiwi Blue Baby'
Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... lue%20Baby
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Kiwi+Blue+Baby
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/k/kiwib.html

this was taken a week or so ago. The leaves of the yellow seedling have now become gigantic montana-like and Kiwi Blue Baby is now almost totally covered.

[/u]
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Those are some nice seedlings, Jim!! 8-) I especially like the blue & the yellow from the last grouping. But the 1st one is pretty darn nice too. Nice leaf form & I like the way the leaves are held up.

You need to publish your books. I think you'd do well with them. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Jim, thanks for this post! Now, when someone points at the seedlings growing in totally strange places, I'll just say
"Oh, that happens to ALL the best hosta gardeners...."
:lol:
I have some really nice looking volunteer seedlings. Some of them would look even better if they weren't growing under/over/between and in the middle of the clumps of the hostas that I actually planted.

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

Fun post JIm and those are some pretty seedlings. I have a couple that popped up in rock boulder garden edges I can't get the nerve to pull and now he is 2 feet across this year. It's amazing the vigor of some seedlings compared to the pitiful growth of tc's.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I wish I would get some...those are really noce looking surprises!
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

:lol: :lol: I love the title of the book you didn't write--I think it could be a best seller, don't we all know some of "those people" I like the seedling surprises, I have a few at first you think who put that there?? :or???: where's the tag for this one, you look again and figure out a seedling. Last year I planted out a few that I thought would be mini /small and they leaped over the winter. But it's fun to find interesting ones.I put little markers behind them so later on I won't be trying to identify them. Enjoy, in my case it might be a little like "when good things happen to bad gardeners" :wink:
New Topic Post Reply