Lotsa potsa hosta!!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Arlene

Lotsa potsa hosta!!

Post by Arlene »

Just to let you know how much work I did, these are some of the hostas I moved from Indiana to Tennessee in May. The largest ones are lining the path. There are a couple of areas I didn't photograph, so this isn't all of them.

Most of them look as if they never missed a beat, despite the fact that it was in the 50s when I dug them up and has been 85-90+ since they were potted up here.

My DH has been lobbying for me to leave them in Indiana ever since we began talking about moving. Despite his lack of enthusiasm for this project, he drove one carload down (peering through leaves for 8 hours), and for three LONG potting sessions, he hauled bags of potting soil, carried filled pots to their location, and helped me water. That kind of "above and beyond the call of duty" helps explain how we made it to our 45th anniversary on Saturday!! He's a gem! (most of the time :???:!!)

There are probably 50-60 pots in this area . . .
Paradigm . . . always lookin' good!
Blue Mammoth . . . probably the largest one moved.
Last edited by Arlene on Jun 05, 2008 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:o WOW!! I will show my DH this for sure......I was say.....See honey.....it IS possible!! :lol: :lol:
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I can see why you couldn't leave them in Indiana, they're gorgeous. :D
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

JOB WELL DONE :P You work well together. Thanks for sharing all your hard work with us, it really paid off. They look so happy in their new surrondings.
Sue
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

Great Job and Happy Anniversary!!! :D They all look beautiful!!
jgh

Post by jgh »

I shudder when I start to move just one big mature clump... you potted lots and lots... great job!
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

Congrats on saving the marriage whilst saving the funkia :lol:
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

:o :o LOTSA LOTSA hard work!! Definitely worth it!! :cool:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

:o Wow! That was an amazing feat. The hostas all look wonderful, and I'm glad that they were able to join you in your new home. Congratulations on 45 years together. (I'm right behind you with 42)
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

Boy does that look familiar!
way to go!
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Ditto Dave. Been there to but with out the DH help, and only going a mile or so with them the second time. The best part is moving them around and picking where to put them into the ground. So much fun with choice after choice of leafed out color to work with. Enjoy your new home and Happy Anniversary, he's a keeper for sure!
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Wow, truly anact of love!! :cool: :cool: That is terrific!! What beautiful hostas, how many did you dig up and take with you? Again, wow!
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
chelielynn

Post by chelielynn »

Your paradigm looks great...Mines always so slow to color in. Wonder if it's needs more sun.
Arlene

Post by Arlene »

Donna, I think between 125 and 150. I couldn't bring myself to count! Some broke apart so I potted them separately . . . and near the end, when I was running out of pots, I crammed some in together. And shouldn't the big boys count as 10 each?

Two close friends spent one day helping me dig and package, which was an enormous help, and my DH helped dig most of the big ones. Still, it was a big job . . . I thought for a few minutes that Blue Mammoth would be a deal-breaker, but he finally wrestled it out of the ground!

And, Chelielynn, my Paradigm has never gotten a lot of sun . . . it faced NE in its old home, under trees. I've always wondered if I just got lucky and got a nice one. It's always been a show-stopper. Probably why it's been my favorite hosta ever since I got it.
New Topic Post Reply