Not Pic of the Day 6-06-08 a... a... a...

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
jgh

Not Pic of the Day 6-06-08 a... a... a...

Post by jgh »

Poor Dennis Savory (of the famous hosta pioneering family from Savory Gardens Edina, Minnesota, who have registered many fine hostas including Baby Bunting, Black Hills, and Golden Tiara.) He must have thought that he won the silly-but-fun competition to have the first listing in the alphabetical list of Genus Hosta. After all, ignoring the article "a", aardvark is the first word in most dictionaries. When Dennis registered H. 'Aardvark' in 1991, he moved to the very beginning of all hosta lists.

Alas, it was not meant to be. An interesting hosta man named Ed Eslager died recently... last year I think... but he spent much of the last decade registering many hostas. One of his goals was to have both the first and the last listing in the alphabetical listing of hostas... and to reach hosta immortality by holding that position forever.

When I saw the registration of H. 'A Many-Splendored Thing' by Ed in 1999 I thought it very clever, though I felt bad for Dennis and Aardvark. It seemed to be a bit of a slight of hand... but it met the old criteria for naming a cultivar, which included a three word maximum for the name and all words commonly used in a modern language. Ed moved to the top of the list.

A M-s T is the title of a hit movie from 1955 starring William Holden and Jennifer Jones (playing an Asian doctor - apparently Hollywood could not find a Chinese actor, continuing the fine Charlie-Chan tradition of putting a Caucasian in black wig and taping her eyes into a parody of an epicanthic fold...) The movie won no major awards for script or acting and is pretty forgetable, but the sappy, romantic, overblown title song won the oscar that year. I can't walk past this hosta in the garden without belting out a couple of lines. Everyone covered the song... Sinatra, Martin, Peggy Lee... but it is still the original version by the Four Aces that resonates for most of us "of a certain age."

I don't have this year's edition, but in the 2007 Hosta Finder, A Many-Splendored Thing is the first entry. But Ed wasn't satisfied with that. He knew somebody just had to pick another phrase starting with A and continuing with a second word with an initial letter before m.

I can't say I really approve of the results of this thinking. For a while, H. 'A B-1 Bomber' was first. To me, that is just a stupid name... like naming your son Percy or Sue out of a twisted sense of humor. Now I see that the Hosta Library lists two even before A B-1. H. 'A 10 Hut' - which to me is totally over the top, violating all the old naming rules, as that phrase is really just a mispelling of the military pronounciation of the command to come to attention... and at the very top H. 'A 1 4 The Money' - and why would they allow registration of a text-message shortcut for the entirely reasonable and appropriate "A One-for-the-money"?

And don't get me started on the end of the alphabet. I had H. 'ZZ Topp' in the pipeline for registration when they let Ed register H. 'ZZZZ, a Sleeping Beauty' which is both senseless and incorrect, as the common usage of "zees" for sleeping is three Zs in a row, not four.

End of rant. Love these names or hate them, you still have to give Ed Eslager credit for some long late creative nights!

The first three in the list are pretty unimpressive to me. A 1 looks like an undulata, and the next two are streakers - and isn't naming an unstable streaker a pretty questionable activity?

But A M-s Thing is a pretty nice hosta.

Still, for today's NPOTD - you thought I forgot that this was NPOTD and I had to actually post a pic, didn't you?! - I'm going to go with Savory's Aardvark. Not everyone loves the subtle variegations in hostas, but I do. Aardvark is unlikely to grab the focal point in a hosta bed dominated by more dramatic variegated plants... Touch of Class and Remember Me and Orange Marmalade are near it in my garden, and those are the ones that draw people off of my deck for a closer look. But some, having arrived at a closer vantage point, share my interest in Aardvark. It is a medium-sized plant with medium-sized leaves, but the fine pebbling of the leaves and the thick substance give them a really nice character. Probably will never break the top 25 in popularity, and it may even fade into obscurity due to the four names ahead of it on the alphabetical list - but "Attention must be paid!"

Last edited by jgh on Jun 07, 2008 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diana
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Diana »

I am thoroughly enjoying your musings, as well as being able to attach a bit of history to each hosta. Thank you for your NPOTDs.

-Diana
Arlene

Post by Arlene »

I agree with Diana . . . your pics are always a treat, but your history / commentary is a sheer delight! Reminds me of Paul Harvey's "The Rest of the Story . . . "

I love the flashy hostas, but the ones with more subtle coloration are just as attractive, in my opinion.
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

I kinda like the more unusual ones too. And thanks for your ramblings as always Jim. :cool:
I might have to dig out my record player now and play some sappy songs :lol:
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
Justme

Post by Justme »

Jim, love the rambling thoughts, errr, little background stories :wink:

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Sure, I like your Not-Picture-Of-The-Day, but I am really enjoying your Story-Of-The-Day.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Not Picture of the Day
(The Musings of a Hosta Mind)

I'm enjoying both daily features immensely!! :cool:

I have a catalog from Savory Gardens several years ago that features Aardvark on the cover in combination with Summer Breeze. Not a combination I'd have ever come up with, but it certainly is appealing in the pic. I've been wanting one ever since.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
New Topic Post Reply