what did this to my hosta??? (Grrr...)

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
twoblackdogs
USDA Zone: 5

what did this to my hosta??? (Grrr...)

Post by twoblackdogs »

I went out to water some of the plants from the trade. Noticed that Climax was not it's usual perky self. Walked further to investigate - and the stems are all sliced off, almost like someone took a knife to it, right at ground level.

any ideas? I don't want the same thing to happen to the others in that bed.
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

How large of a plant was it??? If on the small side, cut worms I assume could do that. They can do a number on the stems of a tomato just like that.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
Don Rawson

Post by Don Rawson »

I second that...cut worms, if it was a smaller hostas. Use Sevin garden dust or spray, or other insecticide. Don
woodthrush

Post by woodthrush »

Are the leaves there or gone? Voles will chew them right off at ground leave too. And if you are dry, I've seen chipmunks chew the stems of plants for moisture.
Pam
twoblackdogs
USDA Zone: 5

Post by twoblackdogs »

The stems were about an 1.5 inches across. The leaves are still all there - just laying on the ground - almost like someone took a wire and cut them off right at soil level.
We haven't been that dry - lots of rain - a flood watch right now, with more rain to the west.

I haven't had a chance to go out and look for cutworms at night - I had 6 extra 8 year olds spending the night last night for my youngest's birthday and we're still emerging from the chaos of many Legos.

I will try to post a pic tomorrow.
Mark Raw
USDA Zone: 9

Re: what did this to my hosta??? (Grrr...)

Post by Mark Raw »

Sounds more like a rabbit to me. They seem to enjoy doing it never eat then just bite them off
New Topic Post Reply