Not Pic of the Day 6-12-08 Communication can be... 'Victory'

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
jgh

Not Pic of the Day 6-12-08 Communication can be... 'Victory'

Post by jgh »

such a tricky thing. Just this morning, for example. Sheila and I were in the middle of our daily ritual of morning coffee and three games of backgammon when she looked up and said "Today we have to clean."

I blinked a little, then responded "Define your terms." Clarification is always important.

"Today" for example... does that mean literally "today," or does it mean "if the weather won't let us work outside" or "if we have some time today..."

"we"... does that mean literally "we" - as in both of us, working in tandem and roughly equal amounts of effort and time... or does it mean a kind of global we, as in "we, between the two of us, both making efforts commensurate with our skills and focus, will get a number of things done today..."

"need to" as in "really must be done" or "really should get done" or "entropy is one of the laws of thermodynamics and if we don't get on this one of these days it will be too late..."

and "clean"... as in "get the crap out of sight in case the paramedics are called or a stranger needs to use the bathroom" or as in "a good vacuum and cleaning the kitchen and bathroom good enough for company" or "cleaning everything, whether it shows or not... yes, that means vacuuming under the bed and using the nozzle along the baseboards..."

Can anyone blame Bill Clinton for trying to clarify what the definition of "is" is?!

We finished our backgammon before we had parsed the sentence completely, then the phone rang... so I'm at the computer and have dodged the cleaning bullet for the nonce...

So I was looking at the new Hallsons sale hostas. (yup... I zigged, then zagged... you can stay with me... we'll get there eventually...)

and why, you might ask, would I, who buys hostas wholesale and sells them a little, why would I be looking at the Hallsons sale. Well... you know... there is always one more hosta I don't have that I really should have, and... oh, never mind - Sheila doesn't understand that one either.

Anyway, I saw a listing for one of the hostas I'd been planning on including in the NPOTD anyway... so it moved up to today's entry.

The hosta is 'Victory'. Oddly enough, I find the name unsettling. I tend to be uncomfortable with hosta names that inspire thoughts of war or conflict. I look for peace, or at least some form of tranquility, when I'm in my garden. (Except when I'm popping a cap in that dxxx woodchuck's xxx!)

In mythology, Cadmus (a hero, demigod, or whatever... founder of Thebes) killed a dragon, but in the process so upset the dragon's patron, Ares, the god of war, that he incurred a lifetime of bad karma. Thus a "Cadmean victory" is one where winning may indeed cost one more than losing would have.

For years I've used my own definition for "victory" - Victory means the self-delusion that one has lost less than the other party.

So I was ambivalent about putting 'Victory' in a prominent place in my garden. I ended up putting in two... and have become quite impressed with it. It seems like there are a lot of upright or semi-upright, green-with-yellow-margins hostas. 'Sagae', of course... and lots of sports... and 'Leading Lady'... and 'Mount Everest'... and and and. So what makes 'Victory' stand out?

Two things. One, the green center tends toward the lighter end of the spectrum than most of its competitors. But more strikingly, the leaves of 'Victory' have an exceptionally elegant tapered look and are extremely large. Though my plants have not formed particularly "full" clumps, the leaves they do have are quite dramatic. I measured several this morning at 10 1/2" across and over 13" long. I find I will have to move a pathway and relocate some other hostas just to avoid moving this plant that so strikingly anchors one end of a bed.

Hosta Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... ty=Victory
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Victory
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/v/victory.html

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Sheesh, all that inspiration from a hosta? Anyone who is not a hostaholic just wouldn't understand :lol:

Every time I dig a Victory I only think of one thing... Stewie Griffin from Family Guy:
Attachments
stewie.gif
stewie.gif (7.64 KiB) Viewed 2745 times
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh my...you guys just kill me!! :lol:

Lovely hosta, btw. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

:lol: :lol: This could be the best NPOTD yet!! :lol: :lol:
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:lol: :lol: I love you Jim!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
addieotto
Location: Southern NJ Lat: 39° 47' 17.916" Lon: -74° 59' 13.56"

Post by addieotto »

That did it.

The Stewie reference came so unexpected after I had already spit potato chips out of my mouth while laughing at the post ... prompting my darling boy friend to mute the tv in the other room to check in on my ability to breathe...

All NPOTD posts will now opened with a - no food or drink - warning at my house.

I think potato chips came out my nose.
SUE
My hosta blog: http://myhostagardens.com
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

:lol: :lol: Too funny :lol: :lol:

Great NPOD and great looking hosta, Jim.
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

I always thought of 'Victory' as being victorious at becoming the first sport out of Elatior. :P Only one I know of, besides streaked plants. I bought Victory and Unchained Melody the same year. Unchained melody is a Hybrid giant that looks alot like Victory in an immature state, but is a less upright plant upon maturity. I was so positive when both came out that they were the same plant, but I was wrong. Unchained Melody here has larger leaves. Both have ridiculously tall scapes.

Jim, Love the Family Guy reference!!! We watch it. Adult cartoon with so much creative writing and innuendo that even if a child watched, most if not all would go right over their heads! Some adults don't get it, either! :lol:
jgh

Post by jgh »

uhmmmm... Chris, you may have inspired a whole new series of hostas... but I'm not sure how much overlap between Seth MacFarlane fans and hosta fans there is. would H. 'Stewie' sell? (It would have to have very rounded leaves to go with that head...)

H. 'Brian'

H. 'Family Guy'
H. 'American Dad'
Attachments
200px-Briang.jpg
200px-Briang.jpg (7.61 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Cripes! I just read the reply. I thought Jim posted the picture of Stewie, and Chris did! Very funny, Chris!
I'll shut up now.....!
addieotto
Location: Southern NJ Lat: 39° 47' 17.916" Lon: -74° 59' 13.56"

Post by addieotto »

H. 'Quagmire', lots of flowers but never sets seed
H 'Evil Monkey', long, narrow leaves that point at you in a threatening manner when you walk through the garden
H 'Mr Weed', makes a shortlived appearance in the garden and dies in the third season.

... I'm not sure that last one would be all that commercially successful but I would buy and Evil Monkey in a heartbeat! :lol:

SUE
My hosta blog: http://myhostagardens.com
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

A co-worker has the evil monkey on his car window. :lol:
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

:lol:
Helen
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I shared an excerpt of this installment [..dxxx woodchuck's xxx...] with Sara just now & she laughed harder than I did. :lol:

I'd probly have Victory if I had room for it. Don't have Elatior for the same reason. :???:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
tsbccowboy
Location: Apple Valley, Minnesota 44°43'39.50"N 93°14'52.40"W

Re: Not Pic of the Day 6-12-08 Communication can be... 'Vict

Post by tsbccowboy »

How about re-reading a JGH post. Here is 'Victory' the American Hosta Growers Association (AHGA) Hosta of the Year for 2015. This 'Victory' still has quite a bit of growing to do.

Victory
6/22/13

Victory
7/30/13
New Topic Post Reply