Quite possibly the smallest leaf I've ever seen

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
addieotto
Location: Southern NJ Lat: 39° 47' 17.916" Lon: -74° 59' 13.56"

Quite possibly the smallest leaf I've ever seen

Post by addieotto »

Ok, so it's really not that special but I couldn't help make the subject line comparison :lol: :lol: when I transplanted a bunch of itty bitties today .... after so recently drooling :o over the giant hosta leaf and plant posted by HostaDesigner...

A river of Tiny Tears:

SUE
My hosta blog: http://myhostagardens.com
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

WOW! That IS tiny!! :lol:
yardmom

Post by yardmom »

Cute Tiny Tears! Tiny Tears IS special by virtue of it's tiny leaves!

Can you post a picture that shows the whole area? I love to see what people do with their minis!
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

I agree. Please post a pic of the entire area. I find it a bit of a challenge to show off the minis well.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Viola Ann said it ... too cute and please one more pic :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
addieotto
Location: Southern NJ Lat: 39° 47' 17.916" Lon: -74° 59' 13.56"

Post by addieotto »

Here's a few pics of the area from different angles. The whole area is still under construction.

I put all of these plants in yesterday and made this bed from scratch. Several were victims of vole attacks so you can see that they look like crap (brown and shrivelled) and several others were divided while I was moving. My hope is that with several of the same hosta, I'll be less likely to lose it altogether from voles. Since I'm moving them - might as well divide. The bed is also chock full of permatill so that is why it's grey.

This is from above. I disassembled and moved the planter that you can see it its new spot here and lined it with hardware cloth to prevent vole entry. This is for the Empress Wu I ordered that should arrive this week.

Here's another where you can see several Blue Mouse Ears, a totally fried and green Sherbourne Swift (poor thing), a vole eaten and yellowed Hadspen Blue that you can barely recognize as HB.

It's located near the edge of a small pond that's connected to a larger one down further. There is a seating area on the other side of the pond so you will be able to see the minis from there or cross and walk on the path (wood chips in the photo).

Here's a view with the background of the abandoned, over grown house. You can see that we mow about 15 feet of the grass to help reduce the vole habitat. We will be putting in a solid fence about two feet behind the wire one that will give some backbone to this area. Behind the large hosta I hope to put something like climbing hydrangea against the fence.

Last of all here's itty bitty Tiny Tears with a quarter for size reference. Kinda gets lost in the lanscape quick! Thought it would make a nice contrast against Empress Wu! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SUE
My hosta blog: http://myhostagardens.com
yardmom

Post by yardmom »

Thanks! It will look awesome when you are done! I sure hope Empress Wu doesn't eat those minis up, though! :o
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

So, does this mean yours is the SMALLEST ... all double entendres included!!) ...
Helen
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
New Topic Post Reply