Not Pic of the Day 6-27-08 A long time ago...

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
jgh

Not Pic of the Day 6-27-08 A long time ago...

Post by jgh »

In my childhood, the word FORD meant “Fix or Repair Daily.” Ours was a General Motors family, with an emphasis on Pontiac. There were Ford families and GM families. It wasn’t quite the Hatfields and McCoys, but it was definitely something one noted.

So in 1965, when Dave showed up to court my older sister, he started off with two strikes against him. First, he was interested in my sister… which indicated either brain damage or a deep character flaw. And second – I heard he drove a Ford. I was skeptical.

It was a summer evening. As my friend and I - both fifteen, both named Jim, and both deadly bored - wandered aimlessly around our sleepy little town, too lazy to be looking for trouble but hoping trouble would find us… we looked up to behold a heavenly vision. It was a 1965 Ford Galaxie 500 LTD convertible… red, with white leather interior and a 427 under the hood. Our ennui swept away, we watched with awe and envy as it rolled down the street.

We were surprised. Residents of small, conservative Minnesota farm towns did not drive red convertibles. We were confused when this dream vehicle from another world stopped – then backed up. We were amazed when Dave and my sister grinned and invited us to hop in.

We then engaged in the time-honored activity of “cruising.” This consisted of making a circuit of the few main sites of the town… the two blocks of Main Street including the movie theater… the hill up to the watertower… First Street past seven or eight bars and the bowling alley. The object was not to see, but to be seen.

Ensconced in the backseat, we felt like we should be giving the world our best parade wave… "Elbow, elbow, wrist, wrist, touch your pearls and blow a kiss." After a couple of circuits it was traditional to park in front of the bowling alley. We did so, holding court as the locals came to bask in the beauty of our vehicle.

Up to that point, my status on the teenage social ranking was about as low as you can go. Assistant football equipment manager and school photographer are not activities for “the cool kids.” But my status went up like a rocket that summer night. Our cool factor was driven even higher when Dave demonstrated his record player.

You can keep your I-phones and Blackberries. Never before and never since have I witnessed such a cool piece of technology. It mounted under the dash. Everything was upside-down. The record – a 45 rpm, of course – slid onto the post from the bottom and was held onto the turntable by a spring. The arm was spring loaded so it would stay in the groove of the record.

A warm summer night… red convertible… white leather… “I want to hold your hand…” playing 17 times in succession on the one-and-only automobile record player anyone had ever seen… it just doesn’t get any better than that!

I wasn't sure if my sister would stick with this guy - but I knew I was in love! Later that summer he cemented his place in my affection by taking Jim and I to "the Cities" to see a concert at Met Stadium... Dave Brubeck and Peter, Paul, and Mary. I got to get up close to my hero, drummer Joe Morello, and watch him play those legendary one-handed, left-handed, seven-stroke, open-stroke rolls in 'Take Five.' The epitome of cool!

It is only now, more than 40 years later, that it occurs to me to ask why Ford named their primary full-size car line the way they did. Car names don’t have to make sense – the Chevy competition was the Impala, after all – but why the misspelling of Galaxie? I am unable to find any explanation. I like to think that some pompous middle-manager heard the name Galaxy, liked it, scrawled the misspelled word on a drawing of the concept car… and like the Emperor’s new clothes, everyone fell all over themselves to compliment him on his excellent choice, no one willing to risk a job to correct the boss.

The hosta named H. ‘Galaxy’ is not misspelled. Registered by the Lachmans in 1987, it is something of an oddity. It is a streaked breeder. Back in the day, most unstable streaked plants were not registered. Still, this is a very attractive plant and, for me, has only required splitting every fourth year or so to maintain the streaking. It was registered as a cross of a Beatrice seedling and a Frances Williams seedling, and it has definite sieboldiana characteristics. It is one of the few streaked plants that Zillis gave a primary listing in the Handbook.

Galaxy has been used in breeding. It is in the heritage of many plants including Dee’s Golden Jewel, Mack the Knife, and Rosedale Tractor Seat.

Not quite as flashy as a 1965 red convertible – but a nice accent in the shade garden nonetheless!

flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

I am a bit younger than you Jim, but I remember my cool uncle Sammy, pulling up in the driveway in a '65 red and white Jaguar. The whole middle class neighborhood either stared out their dingy windows or had the nerve to come over and see this amazing car for themselves.
I was only about 8 at the time, but I knew inheriently, what a really awesome car that was. He only had it a year or two, I think he lost it in a poker game :lol:
And yes, I have galaxy hosta too. In fact, I may go out and whack it today in honor of you (and your superb post of the day). What do you call a green version of galaxy? It is not listed in zillis or on the sport page of My Hostas.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
jgh

Post by jgh »

I'm not sure what other people call the green sport of Galaxy... I call it compost :D
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I don't have "Galaxy", but I am a life-long Ford customer. What else was I to do when my Father worked for the company?
The hosta is gorgeous, but then again...so was my 1976 Ford Mustang with the T-top and 8 cylinder engine. I wish I had kept it. :roll:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Jim, what a wonderful post. I've been waxing nostalgic all week, and now this thread brings back some fond memories of simplier times.

Don't have Galaxy, but maybe one day. I'll plant it next to Seventh Heaven (you were probably in Seventh Heaven when you were in that Galaxie :D ).

Oh, by the way, we also heard Ford meant ..."Found ona Russian dump" and "Found ona road dead".
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

I am 46 and I never knew that they had record players that went into cars! Learn something new every day! My husband, 15yrs older than I confirmed there was such a thing. I do have H. Galaxy and love it. My husband, just bought a new Ford. It is a Shelby, not sure why that is important, but if a man named Carrol (sp?) Shelby in Nevada passes away, he thinks the car may be worth a lot of money some day.
Arlene

Post by Arlene »

Oh, my, Jim . . . red convertibles and cruisin' in the same post!! In our small northern Indiana town, cruisin' meant up 3rd street, down Main Street and out to Bowers' drive in . . . a circuit of Bowers' and back downtown . . . to do it again . . . there was a time in the 60s that cruisin' caused so much traffic that the town actually banned it for several years.

And I remember dating a guy who had a fabulous red convertible . . . AND a summer home at the lake . . . AND a sailboat . . . but dummy me, we dated in the winter . . .

I don't have Galaxie but, thanks to your post, I sure am enjoying some warm summer memories!
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Don't have H. Galaxy, but my mom did have a Galaxie 500 convertible. That was about the last thing she suckered my dad into getting her before she filed for divorce. :roll:
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
jgh

Post by jgh »

I'm reminded of that wise saying...

"A woman without a man
is like a fish without a bicycle."

I can certainly find it plausible that a woman, finding herself in the possession of a Galaxie 500 convertible, might well feel other "appendages" unnecessary.

I'd guess, in balance, the Galaxie convertible was a net gain in the world. It may have led to some divorces, but think how many babies came into the world due to its heavenly nighttime views and spacious back seat...
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

What a wonderful story! I had no idea there was a record-playing auto, but cool IS cool. 8-)
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

Awesome NPOTD!!!!! I just got a huge H. Galaxy in the mail yesterday from Stuart!!

I'm 48, my first car was a '66 Mustang.

Justaysam, your husband just got a Shelby GT 500??!! :eek: It's my understanding that there won't be many of those made and the dealers are naming their price. I'd love to see a pic or 12 of the car!!
impatience

Post by impatience »

I just had to reply to your message Jim.

We must be the about same age and I have just made a short trip down memory lane. I can hear the Beach Boys now.

Thanks for sharing your story and your literary talents.

IMP
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Oh-oh.....nly Yoo-oo-oou....
could bring all those cruising memories flooding back.
One of my friends had a 55 T-bird...chromed out and carrying a wolf whistle. My first car was a 59 Chrysler that drank oil at every meal, and had a typewriter shift. That thing was hot...don't remember at the time what the engine was, but I never got beat..
Oops, no, I didn't do that. Never mind.
:lol:
Linda...I have a brother in law who would probably turn green if he saw your DH's car. He's a Mustang man, runs one at the drag strip.
Oh, and I don't have Galaxy, but my friend does. I'll get a piece of it one day if I can figure out which one is Galaxy and which is CT Gala.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
addieotto
Location: Southern NJ Lat: 39° 47' 17.916" Lon: -74° 59' 13.56"

Post by addieotto »

Yet another wonderful post.

In our house it's still - to this day - FORD: Found On Road Dead.
SUE
My hosta blog: http://myhostagardens.com
FreakyCola
USDA Zone: 5

Post by FreakyCola »

Oh Jim, those cruising memories! And the car stories, wow, this is a cool thread!

We cruised around the Dog N Suds, down the street a little to the Burger Chef, then way down the street to another drive in and back to the Dog. If we got way ambitious we'd drive all the way uptown, a whole mile or two, and darn, I can't even remember what was up there! For really crazy times we'd drive all the way to the north end of town, way out in the boonies to the bowling alley. My parents always told me to stay away from cruising and of course I never listened and got caught many a time!

Once I borrowed my brothers car and got hit by a guy who was drinking. He talked me out of calling the cops and ended up never paying for the damages. I don't recall ever getting punished for that one, but minor things I did I'd really get in trouble over. Oh teenaged life. Wern't things simple then?

We'd sneak into the drive in theater by going in the out door. Where were the owners? Couldn't they figure that one out? And there was a skating rink where all the cool people hung out in that cruising area.

In my 20's I dated a guy with a 70 bright yellow Corvette. He was very generous & bought me a 66 light blue one to drive around. I was working in a Pizza Hut & the district managers were visiting one day & saw me drive up in that yellow vette & they were falling all over themselves to talk to me, then they found out I worked there & didn't know what to think! Why would someone with a vette work there? It was so funny. (Actually that was a cool job & I had a lot of good times there, ah, more memories!)

Thanks for the memories Jim & everyone else!
Love the hostas too!
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I'm finally getting caught up after the weekend. Wonderful NPOTD, Jim!! :cool: 8-) :cool:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
New Topic Post Reply