Hey Lynn!! 'Bud is Wiser'

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
LucyGoose

Hey Lynn!! 'Bud is Wiser'

Post by LucyGoose »

Lookie.....she is 3 eye's.....do I dare to dig and get an eye to you the 26th? I will, ya know.....:wink:

This is *Bud is Wiser* for those who don't know......looks like Night Before Christmas, doesn't it?
Hosta Registry - not registered
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Bud+is+Wiser
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/b/bud.html
'Bud is Wiser'
'Bud is Wiser'
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I would guess that either 'Bud is Wiser' was mismarked from the start or got mixed up somewhere along the way, because yes, it looks exactly like Night Before Christmas and still doesn't look anything at all like a white centered 'Blue Mammoth'. If you have a 'Night Before Christmas' then compare the blooms and bloom time. If those are identical, then that's probably what this is too, so be sure to relabel your 'Night Before Christmas' to 'Bud is Wiser' ;)
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Your kidding......:lol: So this is prolly NBC? :lol: We got it at the auction last year, remember Chris? I think Wanda brought it??? Yes, I do have NBC so I will compair blooms.....Jay is standing here laughing that he went to all that trouble to out bid the Lynn and it's just a NBC.....:lol: I am laughing!!!!!!

Anyone have a picture of Bud is Wiser??
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Here is my 'Night Before Christmas'....
Pic's 170.jpg
Kent

Post by Kent »

I'll post pics of my two when they bloom (different times) My NBC has geen leaves and my BIW growing in more sun has blue leaves.

I personally don't think they are the same plant but very very similar.

Kent
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Thanks Kent! My BIW is in lots of shade if not total.....and the NBC is in lots of shade too....it's about 4 feet from the trunkof my black walnut, so it's in shade...........I see no blue in the BIW....but it's a baby......I will we watching to see when they bloom for sure.....

Thanks!!

Hey Lynn......I am thinking on leaving it now one more year.....K?
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

If they bloom at distinctly different times in the same garden then they can't be the same plant, but I still don't see how this could possibly be a sport of Blue Mammoth. Anyone know how that would be possible? :hmm:
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Hey LG, Kent's has a pic of BIW at the Hosta Library. :wink:
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Lessadragon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Lessadragon »

It looks an awful lot like Kent's pic.
Check out the blooming and let us know LG.
It sure is growing well!

Lynn
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Guess who is sending up scape's? They both are......looking the same......now what do I have? I hear Wanda post on bringing a BIW to the get-together......Hey Lynn.......there ya go! :P Then we both have one..... :wink:
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

I got the Bud Is Wiser from Kent, so I go by what he says - the man knows hosta far better than I! Before I lost a couple trees, mine was far more blue-ish. And I keep real good track of my hosta with my maps (plus haven't had time to move anything)...and anything I got from Kent is extra precious so doubly sure it didn't get mixed up with another one!

Lucygoose: Don't whack yours...I am bringing another BIW to the Happening for Lynn...unless someone outbids her again (hehe).

wanda
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Okay.....I wasn't going to dig mine anyway.....it is getting ready to bloom just like NBC is.....I will compair flowers.....i am telling ya, it looks just like my NBC.....but I am NOT changing the tag.....it is still Bud is Wiser to me..... :lol: ...It just looks like my NBC.....I was the only danger to Lynn bidding..... :lol: ....so she should be able to get this other one your bringing.... :lol:

Can't wait!!!
New Topic Post Reply