Clovelly

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Kent

Post by Kent »

Diana,

It's part of my English series of hostas.

Clovelly is a village on the north Devon coast, England about twelve miles west of Bideford. It is a major tourist attraction, famous for its history and beauty, its extremely steep car-free cobbled main street, donkeys, and its location looking out over the Bristol Channel. Thick woods shelter it and render the climate so mild that even tender plants flourish.
Attachments
Clovelly pic.jpg
Clovelly pic.jpg (14.25 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
Diana
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Diana »

It looks like a beautiful place. Thanks for the explanation.

-Diana
Rob
USDA Zone: 8a

Clovelly at last

Post by Rob »

It's been on the top of my "must have" list ever since I first saw a picture of it on the web, so I ordered it at the beginning of the year.

Finally got two plants last week.

Guess I can start a "Terpening"-bed now (with a piecrust edge) with Clovelly, Dancing Queen, Marrakech, Ringtail, Sahara Nights and Split Decision.

Greetings from the Hosta Mill,

Rob
Visit my garden on www.hostamill.be/ENG
mooie

Post by mooie »

I really like the looks of Clovelly, but Kent's Dancing Queen still knocks my socks off every time I go outside. Stunning color. I posted a pic a while back and it looks even better now! :o

As for other piecrust, Marilyn Monroe really takes off early in that category. Sweet!

mooie
~Imagine~
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

barbara wrote:the nursery had hvx, right, and not the plant?
Right! 2 years ago I told them about HVX, cause so many of their plants were infected!
Willowy

Post by Willowy »

I wish mine was even 1/4 the size of Diane's picture. I love buying mail order and this is the first time I have received such a small, small, small, small plant - and none of the other plants ordered from that seller were as young as Clovelly....

If you saw the plant you would have to agree with me that there is no way someone could evaluate if this was a successful tissue culture - time will tell.
a.k.a. hostabuff
My Hosta List & My Blog
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

Willowy wrote:such a small, small, small, small plant
There was a crop of 'Clovelly' that had issues...they were very slow to break dormancy and just poor quality. Whether these plants will come out of it and grow better in the future, I don't know.
Quiet Storm

Post by Quiet Storm »

My Clovelly arrived today, and it looks much like the photo Diana posted, both in size and form. I was pleasantly surprised to find that they had sent me two plants, both about the same size. I spoke with Jack when I called to thank them, and he reiterated that it takes the plants a few years to develop the piecrust edge. I can be patient.

I put the plants in the ground immediately, but am not entirely happy with their location. I am thinking of digging them up and potting them until I find a more suitable location, or just growing them in pots.
Gloria

I will breathe after my own fashion...
Henry David Thoreau, Civil Disobedience

My Hosta List
jgh

Post by jgh »

oooh oooh Mister Kottah! I know! I know!

We bugged Kent about this this spring. Clovelly is a lovely coastal village in England. It is a steep uphill village, quaint... Kent was there some years ago... google it for great pics...

We had great hopes to see widespread Clovelly plants this year as a major wholesaler had it in tissue culture and offered it this spring. Unfortunately, they didn´t handle it well and many of the plants rotted. Chris told his tale of returning all of them. Of the twenty I received, I think I finally got maybe ten very tiny starter plants, kind of like I was able to salvage part of a partially rotten crown. i probably would have done just as well to return them all as Chris did and then order new next year. The producer knows they had a problem and their working on it, so if you wait a couple of years you should see a bunch of nice gallon size plants in a lot of nurseries.

I look forward to watching this one of Kent´s babies develop its adult characteristics... patience patience patience!
FreakyCola
USDA Zone: 5

Post by FreakyCola »

Wow, I'm impressed I didn't know Kent had so many hostas he's developed! Cool!

Years ago Kent surprized me in the secret trade with a White Lightning which I loved. Unfortunately, it went to hosta heaven this year (can I have an AMEN?) poor poor baby! I saved a tiny piece which I'm hoping will grow up but it's not looking too promising!

So where can I see pics of all of Kent's hostas? Are they out there to be googled?
Kent

Post by Kent »

Here's a link for you FreakyCola:

http://www.foosf.com/Site/Kent%27s%20Gallery.html

Kent
Carol

Post by Carol »

I love the Hostas Kent. Thanks for posting the link.
Carol W
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Carol W »

Kent wrote:Here's a link for you FreakyCola:

http://www.foosf.com/Site/Kent%27s%20Gallery.html

Kent
This (foosf) is one of my favorite sites, just love to see what the breeders are up to, so I can add more to my must have list!!!
New Topic Post Reply