Who is the biggest?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Nathalie23

Who is the biggest?

Post by Nathalie23 »

Hi! :D

I made a trip (gardening trip :cool: ) yesterday and I heard something that I know was false but I couldn't give the right answer :oops: So I'm asking to you! Which hosta is the biggest at all?

The personn said Sum and Substance but I think there are lot bigger hosta than SaS. I'm are right? :roll:
Nathalie

I usually speak french so sorry for my mistakes in english
Nathalie23 Hosta List
Don Rawson

Post by Don Rawson »

Do you want to know what hosta makes the biggest clump, or what hosta gets the biggest leaves?
Some very large hostas are Mr. Big, Amos, and Empress Wu.

Don

Here's a link that may be helpful: http://www.pwk.resteddoginn.ca/hosta_list_vlh.php
Nathalie23

Post by Nathalie23 »

My first though was the biggest clump but I'm interesting to know which one have the biggest leaf! :wink:
Nathalie

Nathalie23 Hosta List
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I think S&S has been touted as 'the largest hosta' for years (in fact I have seen that in print in a number of catalogs, etc.), but recently some newer ones have come out that are larger. I, too, think that at least Empress Wu will turn out to be larger than S&S, both leaf and clump size.

Just what I think...nothing scientific to back it up...

What about Jurassic Park?
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
sugar

Post by sugar »

At the moment, Empress Wu has the title of biggest hosta...

You can find a picture over here viewtopic.php?p=429557&highlight=#429557
Carol

Post by Carol »

My Mr. Big and S&S are in the same garden close to each other. My S&S is several years older, but it isn't as big as Mr. Big either in clump size or leaf size.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Growing conditions will have a lot to do with how large any hosta will get.

For me, Sum and Substance gets big just about anywhere I place it. Big John is touted as a really large one too, but mine have been very slow and pretty picky about moisture. Mr. Big can get huge and is starting to finally become one of my largest, but only because I planted it in the bog. The Mr. Big in the garden shrank every year, but then I finally moved one near the downspout and it is just so-so.

Empress Wu really could be a huge plant from what I've seen, however it may also prove to be a picky plant like some of these others. Only time will tell I guess.
jerry_br

Post by jerry_br »

Cyclops by Rachael Soucek has leaves on it that measures over 26 inches and is incredibly blue. Truely a stunning plant.

Regards
Jerry
Canadian-hosta-girl

Post by Canadian-hosta-girl »

jerry_br wrote:Cyclops by Rachael Soucek has leaves on it that measures over 26 inches and is incredibly blue. Truely a stunning plant.

Regards
Jerry
:o :eek: now i wanna see a pic of that hosta .....wow 26 inches .... that one must make shades for the other hostas :lol:
Nathalie23

Post by Nathalie23 »

Canadian-hosta-girl wrote:that one must make shades for the other hostas :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Nathalie

Nathalie23 Hosta List
myskyblue2

Post by myskyblue2 »

ImageI just ran out and measured my SaS . My biggest leaf is 14 1/2"

In my gardens, that's the biggest. But 26" ! that's a circus tent! :o

LauraImage
hostanquilts
USDA Zone: 5

Post by hostanquilts »

S & S hasn't done that great in my garden, but one of it's offsprings (I've been told it is anyway) is getting huge... Bottom Line. It has a glossy surface & has really filled out the last couple years, even with the neglect from being gone for 2 months last year.
Jan

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble
remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
FreakyCola
USDA Zone: 5

Post by FreakyCola »

My yard must be in the Twilight Zone. For a long time Plantaginea was the widest and tallest hosta. Then Sagae claimed the title for a few years. Last year Rascal and Elegans got huge and were the biggest. This year Squash Casserole is pretty huge. But the biggest leaves belong to Lady Isobel Barnett which I just measured at 14x16. Sum & Substance grabbed me & made me measure him too & his leaves are just as big as LIB but since she was a lady and not bragging I'll give the prize to her!
New Topic Post Reply