Silent Picture show - Olga Petryszyn's last hosta sale

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
HostaDesigner

Silent Picture show - Olga Petryszyn's last hosta sale

Post by HostaDesigner »

Some quick snapshots from today's sale. Might have passed some of you folks there today and didn't even know it.

Cheers.

barbara

Post by barbara »

Very nice! took a quick look, and will look a little closer later :D But, I want to know....what did YOU come home with? :D :wink:
Carol W
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Carol W »

Thanks for the pictures! Lots of nice hostas. Noticed the shovels, were they digging up some of those big clumps? And if so did you bring home a hugh clump?
twoblackdogs
USDA Zone: 5

Post by twoblackdogs »

My friend Diana & I were there - that's our loot in the first picture set out on the driveway by the guy who is loading up. I'm in the 13th picture down walking away with one of my prizes (dark hair, bluish shirt). Was a great day of hosta - first Olga's sale, then tour of Stegmans and Indiana Bob's gardens.

I've got a bit of digging or bribing of my kids to dig to do. My favorite "seedlings" I got at Olga's are a giant Dorothy Benedict x Montana f. macrophylla and a nice sized gold that looks like a gold version of Niagra Falls.
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

twoblackdogs wrote:My friend Diana & I were there - that's our loot in the first picture set out on the driveway by the guy who is loading up. I'm in the 13th picture down walking away with one of my prizes (dark hair, bluish shirt). Was a great day of hosta - first Olga's sale, then tour of Stegmans and Indiana Bob's gardens.

I've got a bit of digging or bribing of my kids to dig to do. My favorite "seedlings" I got at Olga's are a giant Dorothy Benedict x Montana f. macrophylla and a nice sized gold that looks like a gold version of Niagra Falls.
Funny, how that works, ain't it? People go to events like this and know of each other but don't know each other. :) As for your gold Niagara Falls-ish seedling, was it the one missing from the second-to-last pic (the gold with the great flowers?) If so, I was eying that one too!

I actually didn't leave with much. I have SO MUCH of her breeding stock that it's tough to find new genes from different plants. I ended up with a potted "hypoleuca x Maekawa" and a fairly large 'Fire Island' that was a gift to Olga from Bill Brincka. That was it for me! My father-in-law is also in the second to last pic, he got several named plants. I've successfully turned him into a hosta-freak like the rest of us. :lol:
scrappinmusicmommy

Post by scrappinmusicmommy »

Looks like you all had a great time and made some nice hauls. Hopefully one of you is my secret trader :wink: (wishful thinking)....

Wish I lived closer to some of these hybridizers. I'd probably spend too much.
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

We were this close --><-- to driving over from the Midwest Convention, but it didn't quite work out!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:o I forgot?? I did get her letter about her sale, but I could have sworn it was my weekend to work......this was my weekend off.....but for real, I do not need anything, but it's fun to go and Olga is a dear!! I do not breed, or need biggies....And with her moving.....(Steph told me on the phone), it might have been fun to just go anyway.....

Glad you had fun....I enjoyed the pictures....Wonder if we will ever get to go to a sale at her new house now.....
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

thanks for the great pics but i need to know the name of the hosta in the 5th pic.
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

greenguy wrote:thanks for the great pics but i need to know the name of the hosta in the 5th pic.
That's the only I'll be registering this year. 'Continental Divide.' :)
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

That is one of yours? it looks fantastic. does it hold that color all year?
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Wow, HD that 'Continental Divide' is a spectacular hosta! Congrats!

I must also know, in pic #9, the name of that dark green, streaked, corrugated, upright, hangy-over hosta is? :D

And also the name of the large streaked one the gray-haired gentlemen is admiring in the next to last photo?
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

that is a great looking streaker
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

eastwood2007 wrote:Wow, HD that 'Continental Divide' is a spectacular hosta! Congrats!
It was actually one I bought from Olga at least 6-7 years ago as a streaker. It settled out into a nice 3-tone leaf, so I let Olga know she should grow one for herself and consider it. It get better as the season progresses too. Here's the mother plant as shot in my garden a couple years ago before I divided for her.

eastwood2007 wrote: I must also know, in pic #9, the name of that dark green, streaked, corrugated, upright, hangy-over hosta is? :D
Unnamed! Nice though!
eastwood2007 wrote: And also the name of the large streaked one the gray-haired gentlemen is admiring in the next to last photo?
Another unnamed. This one is a big tease. It makes everyone drool every year...but it's sterile!
:lol:
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

Wow HD!!! That's a beautiful hosta!!! It's flowers look sort of Sagaeish.
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

Continental Divide is beautiful!

I see Bev, Stegemen, Indiana Bob, and Peggy Sierzputowski family...looks like a great time :)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

That Continental Divide is very pretty. When I first saw it I really thought it looked like Journey's End, but that isn't one of Olga's plants so I didn't know what it was. Do you have production plans for it? I would definitely buy it :D
jerry_br

Post by jerry_br »

HostaDesigner,

Do you still have the streaked mother plant? Have you ever done any Hybridizing or grown any seeds from it? If so have you had good results?

Regards
Jerry
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

jerry_br wrote:HostaDesigner,

Do you still have the streaked mother plant? Have you ever done any Hybridizing or grown any seeds from it? If so have you had good results?

Regards
Jerry
Hey Jerry, actually I do have the streaked mother plant. I have not used it for breeding yet though. It's blooming now, so I plan on crossing it a couple times using it as a pod parent. We'll see how it goes. :)
New Topic Post Reply