The Hallson Hosta Happening...

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

nmb

Post by nmb »

Jane..

I firmly believe that God has a sense of timing that can't be beat.. if you were here those poor ladies could have perished.. you deserve an award,

mary
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

My goodness...sounds like such a very full day for everyone!
Jane, in this case it's a good thing you couldn't go. I know that you were a tremendous comfort to those ladies in their distress...not to mention getting them out of a very dangerous situation.
Chris, Maybe extra help on the gathering day next year would be good. And I'd love to have seen that big Alligator Shoes. Mine was on the way, and then suddenly declined over one winter. It's making a comeback now, but has a long way to go.
Mary, what a haul! Have fun finding just the right place for each of them.
I wish I had been there, and was planning to make it this year until Charlie's accident. Next year, Lord willin' and the crick don't rise.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Mary, my sister said the same thing, that perhaps it was God's hand telling me where I need to go or do next....Not sure I could do that. Losing them would hurt like all Hell-0 :(

LG, You and/or Brian have got to post a pic of those pillows! I wanted one too, but alas, there were only 2 :( BUT Someone has to get a picture posted! :D

I ended up (can't remember if I posted this) with a streaked Sitting pretty and streaked Elegans. Cute plants! Now to get them in the ground in this heat! :( Hate the heat waves we've had! Thank heavens for cool evening and mornings!

And yes, Brian I PROMISE to pencil it in first thing this winter when the new calendars come out! :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

It was a lot of fun meeting everyone yesterday! Wish I could have stayed for the auction! (Got meds soon enough to ward off the worst of the migrain, just couldn't see for the flashing aura.) I wanted one of those pillows too! So cute, Pia! And the Great Lakes Gold was beautiful! Who took those home? Who got Red neck heaven?

Thanks, Chris and Brian, for the gas card! It will come in handy! Thanks for hosting all of us, and the good food! (I left a whole pie in the fridge...hope someone found it!)

Greenguy, thank you, I am one of many who now owns Alligator shoes! Pictures of Dr. Dave dividing that monster will follow IF DH (Marvin) gets his computer running.

We came home to a monster storm. High winds, quarter sized hail. (Not too many hostas damaged...hail didn't last long.) Power was out for about 5 hrs, and computers down. Mine is back up, but DH is still working on his.

Several trees down, splintered, and uprooted in the neighborhood. Mom had some down, we were lucky to just lose a few branches.
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

Chris finally got time for lunch!
Notice the pillow shams from Pia...they are what looks like pictures of hosta leaves, hanging just behind the Great Lakes Gold plant.
Paul, the roadkill was yummy!
See Wanda anywhere? Is she still guarding that streaked plant she wants Chris to dig for her?
Dr. Dave with Greenguys Alligator Shoes

Everyone wants Alligator Shoes!

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I was so busy I missed it when the wolves attacked that poor Alligator Shoes. But luckily I had seen it before hand :lol:

Thanks for the pictures Denise and Marvin!
nmb

Post by nmb »

Denise,
sorry about the storm.
don't worry... we found the pie...

mary
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

It definitely looks like a good time was had by all!! Glad everyone had a great time. :D [Although the flashing aura migraine doesn't sound so wonderful. :( I'm sure glad mine aren't normally that bad.]

So how exactly did our Pia get hosta leaves onto pillow shams?? :-?

Poor dissected Alligator Shoes.... :???:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Lessadragon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Lessadragon »

Well, we are home. Once again we had a wonderful time. It was great seeing everyone again. It was also great to meet Lori and Bill and Denise and Marvin as well as Joan's Tom. Chris and Brian were their sweet, wonderful selves as usual. Thank you guys for putting on a fantastic day once again!
I didn't have any plants in the trade this year, but I did have a good time at the auction. :D
I got a beautiful Great Lakes Gold from Dave, Bud Is Wiser and Lewis and Clark from Wanda, Little Jay (someone please remind me who that one was from) and a Monty Python (sorry Wanda :roll: ), and a Marilyn Monroe from our own LucyGoose. Art, my DH, must have a very trusting face as we sailed home with no problems.

Lynn
pauhaus

Post by pauhaus »

Had a great time, as usual, and it was great to see everyone again and very nice to meet Lori and DH Bill, Denise and her DH Marvin and Joan's DH Tom. I was so happy with my haul from the auction...a really nicely streaked Korean Snow, a beautiful Ice Age Trail, and last but not least, an Atom Smasher seedling Wanda brought, thanks for digging up that baby and bringing it for the auction! I love it. I also purchased a Sunlight Child and a Hyuga Urajiro. The food was delish of course, Chris the baked spaghetti and fajitas were awesome! Denise, I need that Pineapple Cream Pie recipe from you, so good. And Missy LucyGoose, the Copper Pennies were good, no matter what Brian says, lol. I need your cookie recipe too. Just wanted to thank Chris and Brian for opening up their nursery to all of us and putting this shindig on. :D
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
pauhaus

Post by pauhaus »

Hi Lynn, glad you and Art made it home safely with your haul. We must have just posted at the same time. The Little Jay was one of mine. Great to visit with you guys again! I'll get you that recipe too if I can remember... :-?
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

We are home too now! Had a fabulous time visiting with Chris and Brian and seeing the forum members and their spouses/guests. I can't believe that I didn't take a single picture, but then again....I'm using a different computer now with a different photo program and haven't figured out how to resize my pics anyway. :lol: I came home with four hostas: Cracker Crumbs (trade hosta from Dr. Dave and very cute!), Illicit Affair (auction hosta to replace my lost one), Stargate (streaked Flower Power which was another auction hosta), and Plug Nickel (a small one I purchased ....yes Dave...I broke down and bought it Sunday morning before I left. :lol: ). I also purchased numerous perennials, most of which were sun loving plants to fill in some bare spots I have. Everything was looking wonderful...the garden phlox, the lilies, the Echinacea, etc. Hard to resist not buying one of this and one of that. I also won the cashmere scarf that Pia sent over and I had my eye on it. My DD , Ashley, couldn't attend with me this year and she does love scarves, so I managed to get it and I gave it to her when I got home. She was thrilled, so thank you so much ,Pia, for that wonderful donation. It just makes it that much more special knowing it came from you. :D
It was great seeing "old" friends and meeting new faces. Plus I found out that Denise and her DH live only about 15 mins. from me!! What a surprise! It was a pleasure meeting Denise, Marvin, Lori, and Bill for the first time.
And Denise....we did indeed find the second pie in the fridge. I think we all devoured it on Sat. evening. :lol: Please do post the recipe on the dessert forum here. I may make that for our next church function! It was so refreshing. :wink: All the food was great (even the Copper Pennies, despite what Brain says about them. :lol:) and there was tons of it for everyone to enjoy.
Thank you , Chris and Brian , for your hospitality and the planning it took for this get-together. We appreciate it so much and had a wonderful time. :) :)
I do want to say that I missed some people who were unable to attend this year.....Char, Pat and her DH, Dale, Robin, and several others I had met before. You were all missed and we hope you can attend in future years!
P.S. The play by play with LG and Jane on the phone during the auction was a real hoot! :lol: And...it was wonderful talking to John (Old Coot) on the phone. We also wished you could have made it to the get-together, but thank goodness for phones!! :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

There is a recipe forum here?!?! I have never posted in anything but the hosta forum!

I will admit, even tho I didn't get to stay for the trade and auction, I came home with plenty of hostas (and not just the little ones I claimed to be sticking too :roll: )....Greenguys Alligator shoes, plus Deep Blue Sea, Swirls, Sunlight Child, Heat Wave and Cutting Edge. Can't help myself :oops: There aren't too many hostas I can resist.

Next year, Chris, save a Radiant Star for me...such a pretty little hosta.
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

The pineapple cream pie is posted on the dessert forum.

Paul, I need the roadkill recipe! It was really good! (I may not call it that, if I take it somewhere, okay? :lol: )

Lucygoose, DH and I both liked your copper pennies too. Sorry Brian, you are out numbered!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

We are also home now......and Mr. Willie is just so happy! :lol:

I first want to again, thank Chris & Brian for having us!!.....The food was excellent! Loved those chicken pocket thingy's! :P I am planning on making some soon myself!

I am so happy that I got to meet Denise and Lori and their DH's.....Thanks God that Marvin took picture's as I am another that took hardly none......I have just a couple for today of Joan and Brian and us leaving.....but nothing for the get-together.....unbelievable! Lori and I have the Papillon dogs and we both had our fur kids pictures..... :lol:

I did good.....not overwhelmed with too many plants this year....:-)....the hosta's I got was Geisha in the trade......in the auction I got a really cute as a button, Gracillima "Yellow Edge" that Paul brought, Hideout, another cutie that Paul also brought, (I am thinking he brought the Gracillima, too..... :-? ....Please tell me if I am wrong) a Atom Smasher seedling from Wanda and an eye of that Alligator Shoes from Greenguy.....And I bought ONE hosta.....(Yep just one....I am so proud!) Little Hobber to replace the one I killed......Then I also got 2 different Echinacea .....one was a really nice pink color that is a seedling from a named on that I can not remember right now and didn't write down.....and then the other was a beautiful yellow one......and two other smaller ones that then name is not coming to me....And my pillow cover that Pia donated, that I will be looking to fill tomorrow.....I love it!

Yes, I thank you Joan, for mentioning our Old Coot!! I called and he gets to say hi to us!

Glad that SOME like the Copper Pennies.....there was not that much left..... :wink:

And Yes, Denise......post that recipe PLEASE.....I could get sick eating a whole pie of that.......It was excellent!! :P

Glad Jane got to have a little fun, too....Hugs to you my friend!!

I missed you Pat.....and other who couldn't make it.....
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

What a great day we had! So nice to see everyone and talk hosta. Was nice to meet Lori & Denise and their DHs. And Helen...where the heck were you & Gary?!

This year I tried a different auction strategy - I REALLY wanted Monty Python, and it was last to be auctioned, so I didn't even bid on anything else (well, just one). And Lynn STILL outbid me! (hehe) Oh, well, its tradition now...I always get outbid!

But I bought a hyuga urajiro and a Silver Threads & Golden Needles, and got Lakeside Legal Tender and Yellow Boa in the Trade. And thanks, Greenguy...I got a piece of the HUGE Alligator Shoes, too! Plus a wide-edged sport eye from it without roots (oops) - but lots of white meat to root, no problem. My sister Diana got a nice gift basket of skin care stuff in the raffle, then another of her tickets was drawn and she chose the whole box of the Hosta Science Journal generously donated by dear Diana from California for me!!! She is such an AWESOME sister!!! And I won another gas card!

On the way home, we had to stop in Alma and drop off a kitchen stove for our youngest sister, so got to play with the red-headed niece & nephew for a couple minutes. Then we stopped in Mt. Pleasant to see Jane (wishiwere) and her dear hubby to drop off the auction plants she won. Don't listen to her whine about her short hair - it is absolutely gorgeous and suits her so well! So glad we got to see her, even in passing! We missed out on the fire later...too bad - my sister is an EMT (and her hubby is our fire chief)...she is real good in situations like that!

"...got a $5 pillow which he can take apart, put solid on the back and make 2 pillows from. or he has one $5 pillow cover..." Did I miss something, Mary? I know you paid $30, since I was keeping track of the winners/prices for Chris & Brian??? And since I design stuff like that for a living, know it was worth far more than $5? Heck, just shipping it from Denmark had to cost more than $5!

It was a really great day - feel sorry for all those who had to miss it. And I got to go a whole day without even setting eyes on MIL! Guess she tortured my poor husband all day...but I really needed a whole day away!

I got about halfway home before I realized I missed seeing the chicken coop and chickens! I had asked Brian about them just before the auction/trade and found out where they were. Gosh, all those gorgeous hosta distracted me!

wanda
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Wanda,

Don't worry, you didn't miss the chickens, and the chicken coop is still a work in progress, although it is almost done. Char (our friend who helps us out here) also has chickens, ducks, pheasants, and other animals she raises, is taking care of our baby chicks for now since we were too busy in the spring to get the coop built. But Brian and I keep joking around that it isn't a chicken coop but a chicken chalet. I'll post pictures when it is done :lol:

And I forgot to thank Diana for donating the past Hosta Science Journals. Thanks Diana!
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

We got to see the "chicken chalet"! I have to say that my grandparents had chickens and I can never remember those birds having such a beautiful home as this one is going to be. :lol: Chickens probably aren't as finicky as cats are, so I don't think you'll run into a problem with them not liking their new home. I laughed when Brian told us that the cats didn't like that fabulous house you have for them to play and sleep in. :lol:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

Chris: I had really wanted to see the coop...ours is also "in progress". Wanted to see if you had any better ideas (hehe). Of course, after seeing the cat mansion, figure yours will be much prettier (hehe)! Brian said yours is also 8'x12'. Ours is up and sheathed, but no shingles, doors or windows yet. Its a salt box style. Was going to work on it yesterday, but the brother that is helping us had other things to do...his home got blasted by lightning last week. Took out their furnace, well pump, microwave, all electronics, blew the phone box off the side of the house, blasted the siding off two sides, blasted the shingles off the sunroom and put a couple holes in the roof and smoked my nieces upstairs bedroom!

So, what kind of chickens are you getting from Char?

wanda
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Wanda,

We picked up the chicks this spring. They are rhode island reds - we got lucky and with 10 chicks only 3 were roosters and the rest were hens. Char is going to keep 2 roosters and 2 hens and we will get the rest :D

And about the "$5.00 pillow cover", Mary won a $25 gas card from us and figures it is almost an even trade ;)

I wish I hadn't been so busy since I didn't get a chance to talk to people as much as other years, but really hope to see even more people next year. It is so fun to meet forum friends in person :D
New Topic Post Reply