The Hallson Hosta Happening...

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

hostasandpapillons
USDA Zone: 5

Post by hostasandpapillons »

Bill & I also had a blast there this weekend. I got two hostas in the swap, two in the auction and bought three more along with one of those dark sedums I couldn't resist :D I too got a chunk of Alligator Shoes. Thanks GreenGuy!!
It was a lot of fun to meet everyone and hang out for the day. The auction was a blast :o :o LucyGoose, you crack me up!!
Hopefully we'll be able to make it there next year again.
Paul, was it the oatmeal/chocolate chip cookie recipe you're looking for?
hostanquilts

Post by hostanquilts »

Wow, it sounds like everyone really had a blast!! Hopefully, I'll be able to make it one of these years. I did get to their Nursery a couple years ago when we were coming home from a motorcycle rally in Michigan, just NE of there. My DH was with me & we got to meet Chris, but Brian wasn't there or he didn't come out.
I got several nice hosta from them. Hope to make it next year or the year after.
Jan

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble
remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
Diana
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Diana »

I'm so glad to hear that the Hosta Science Journals found a good home! Sounds like everyone had a really good time, and that no one went home empty handed, or hungry, either.

-Diana
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

I'm glad that everyone had such a wonderful time. I missed being there with you. It sounds like the food was delicious and I know the company was great. The Pineapple Cream Pie and the Chocolate Cherry Bars sound yummy. :lol: The roadkill looks disgusting but I'm sure it was scrumptious. Thanks for posting the recipes. Hopefully we will be able to make it next year.

I love those pillow shams that Pia sent. They are really cool. :cool:
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

WOW - i feel like i was the life of the party i didn't even attend. LOL :lol:

I dug that hosta out saturday a.m. for Dr. Dave (last minute) so he is really the one that shared it. It wasn't as bad to dig it as I thought it would be but I was in a hurry and so was DD so i broke a good sweat. I felt bad DD had to carry it around the house and into his van on his own.

And he did the even harder job of splitting it up for everyone. So way to go DD!
I wish i would have sent some more stuff with him but I was tired and it was still pretty early on a saturday (my brain was in the slow position) but there is always next year :wink:

This thread was a real pick me up on a crappy day so thanks to everyone and thanks Dr. Dave!

and to everyone Dave gave one to - it is a good grower and i hope you enjoy it even more than i have
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Hey Lori, I was looking for the oatmeal/choc chip recipe too. If you don't mind...did you guys bring the Korean Snow for the auction? Not sure who did, but thanks. :D
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

I brought the Korean Snow, Paul. It is fun to play with for seedlings. Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks for the recipe!
pauhaus

Post by pauhaus »

Hey Denise, you're welcome and thanks for the KS! It's got some great streaking.
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
ladyblue
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by ladyblue »

Hi everyone! I live the closest and am about last to check in.
I had a great time and it was so good to see everyone "old" and new :D
Thanks Chris and Brian for opening your home and nursery for
this yearly fling! Chris it is great to see how busy you guys are;but you hardly got a chance to eat, much less sit and talk Hostas.
Thanks to Dr. Dave for sharing Alligator Shoes.Also thanks to Greenguy for making this possible, That one Hosta has many offsprings in our gardens and brought many smiles to our group!
The food was terrific, even the Copper Pennies, Brian. :roll:
I came home with Deep Blue Sea,Allegan Fog,Cameo,Stitch in Time,Fragrant Bouquet,Redneck Heaven,Great Lakes Gold,August Moon,Royal Tiara, Dream Queen,Green Nature Lady,Cathedral Windows, a Hakonechloa Macra 'All Gold',a great shade grass, and the booby prize, a chewed up,
Kifakurin Hyuga that Chris had a cute name on it and since I planted it at the lake, I now can't remember it's name,but it was appropriate! But the jokes on him, you should have seen the great root system!! :lol:
I'll see you next year!
Bonnie
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

Bonnie: It was h. Skeletonia!!! That was just hilarious! Poor thing...Chris said a grasshopper was on it, eating it down to celery stalks.

I didn't bring h. Lewis & Clark, don't remember who did?

Diana: Thank you so much for donating the Hosta Science Journals...I can hardly wait to start absorbing them!

wanda
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:lol: :lol: h. Skeletonia! :lol: :lol: That WAS funny Chris!!
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

So wanda? Are you going to rent them out? Uhm...never mind! I'm sure they payment would be cleaning chicken coops and sorry, I draw the line at anything other than cat boxes now! No more pooper scooping for this girl!

H. Skeletonia! :lol: I think we need pics of that too! I am SO bummed I missed out on this! NEVER AGAIN!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
ladyblue
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by ladyblue »

Thanks Wanda!! Yep Skeletonia, that it! I planted it at the lake thinking that the deer can't hurt it! Ha!I do use liquid Fence
very often, but we have lots of deer around us.I'll take a picture this weekend.I left both tags on it, Kifikurin Hyuga and
Skeletonia to make me smile whenever I see it!
Booby prize was for getting the last pick on the trade.I got first and last pick.Great Lakes Gold was the first pick.Yes!!
Bonnie
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

And what was the last pick?? Not surprised Great Lakes Gold went first! It was gorgeous!!
Lessadragon

Post by Lessadragon »

Oh man, Wanda, I had a brain fart!!! Mary brought Lewis and Clark. I knew that... don't know why I said you brought it. Showing my age I guess. :lol:

Lynn
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I'm posting later than most, it appears.
It was a long day for me, since I took Erin to the airport before going to Todd's. She met up with me in Chicago and we've had 2 great weeks together.
I made the drive to Hallson's in about 3 1/2 hours, having left Todd's house at 9:20. He is sort of on my way. I got there about 12:20.
The food was great, and I was hungry. Very good combination!

The garden tour was cool, especially talking with Chris about his sports and future introductions.

The Alligator Shoes was quite a big hit, and thanks everyone for giving Greenguy credit for the gift!

Once indoors, we first did the swap, drawing tickets for the order. I think the last hosta in the swap to be picked was August Moon; I got two Guacamoles before that was taken. But I got a new one, Roller Coaster Ride, and some duplicates of ones I really like: Gypsy Rose, Paradigm, Guacamole). I donated the two Great Lakes Gold divisions, what a nice plant that is! (one for trade, other for auction)

Bidding for the auction got too high for my comfort level so I didn't win anything there, but did bid on a number of things. Lynn (lessadragon) and "Jane on the phone" (wishiwere) got almost everything I wanted. Well so did Mary and Paul. Oh Bonnie and Lori (hostaandpapillons) too.

With Joan's encouragement I bought a "Lady in Red" ladyfern, blue/purple delphinium, and a Hosta 'Plug Nickel' with 12 flower scapes on it. I don't think it is fertile but I am trying anyway because the world needs more minis.

It looks like Bonnie (ladyblue) went home with the biggest haul.

After all this, I stopped at Ken Marek's house to deliver plants in my end of last years trade, and talked quite a while before my drive back home... got in about 12:15 AM. I needed Sunday to recover, by hauling many many wheelbarrows fo dirt into a new raised bed in the back yard.... hmmm why am I still tired?
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Gee Dave, maybe you're tired b/c vacations do that to a person. We relax and enjoy good company and have some down time! :lol: Seriously though, it would be nice if Hallsons could move to closer to each of us hey?

I'm sorry I took away one of your wants in the trade :( Maybe I shouldn't have done that huh? I did wonder afterwards, if maybe that wasn't a good thing? Seriously, cute little hosta I got, but sorry too, that others can't enjoy them. :( I'll be good next year though and earn my right to bid, by being present to bid, promise!

Glad you had fun and it sounds like everyone did! That's a good way to sum up friends and hosta, FUN. Pure and simple.
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Hey Dave....if that Monty Python had been a two-eyed plant you and I would have had it! We could have split the cost. Oh well.....maybe next year? :wink:
Sounds like you really did have a longgggggg day! Glad you made time for us in that busy itinerary and especially glad you made it home safe and sound. I don't do well driving late at night, which is why I always stay overnight and come home on Sunday. :)
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
hagranger

Re: The Hallson Hosta Happening...

Post by hagranger »

Thank you everyone for posting~
I felt like I was there reading all the posts.
Sounds like another wonderful time.
Gary and I had out of town visitors -- good friends that stayed Friday and Saturday night as well.
Gary said he "owes" me because he made the plans and forgot to tell me.
Yes, yes he owes me ....
Helen :lol:
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
LucyGoose

Re: The Hallson Hosta Happening...

Post by LucyGoose »

Oh yeah....I would say he owes BIG TIME! :lol:
New Topic Post Reply