An old favorite - Ventricosa Aureomarginata

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

An old favorite - Ventricosa Aureomarginata

Post by Chris_W »

Here is one of my old favorites, Hosta ventricosa 'Aureomarginata'. This was one of the first unique hosta plants I ever sold, and this plant is even from that first batch back in 1996 (might have been divided once). That was the first year we were selling plants and had decided to grow about 20 different hostas that year. This was the fanciest of those 20, and it was the most expensive plant we had purchased at the time, having to retail it for just under $20. I remember having 2 customers on the same day with completely opposite reactions. Customer 1: Loved the plant, had to have 2. Customer 2: Took one look at the price tag and had a fit. "What? $20 for a hosta? That's it, we are leaving", and then grabbed her friend by the arm and dragged her back to the car, who was protesting the whole way that she wanted to look around. I could tell that the friend wasn't bothered by this price and was embarrassed by her friend's reaction. I was in shock at the time, too, and was worried that we had made a mistake by having something this pricey available. Granted, as we were just starting out many people still thought of it as a garage sale and would offer you a dollar for a $5 plant quite often. :lol:

I love the flowers on ventricosa, and like its solid green parent this plant does have a lot of self-sown seedlings come up looking just like ventricosa, although on occasion I've also seen yellow and cream seedlings but those don't ever seem to survive.

Just like when you see a large, fragrant flower you know a plant has plantaginea in its parentage, when you see a bell-shaped, dark purple striped flower you can be sure that the plant has ventricosa parentage somewhere in its line.

Next year we will have this one available again, for under $10 ;)
Attachments
ventricosa_aureomarginata.jpg
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

One of the true great classics. Agreed!
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Still a beauty!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Beautiful! Save one for me Chris, that's one I don't have.

By the way, that woman didn't have a clue. You're better off having people like that leave, they're just going to get you aggravated. Life is too short as it is.
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
hubble

Re: An old favorite - Ventricosa Aureomarginata

Post by hubble »

This is my all time favorite hosta. I just love the coloration and shape of the leaves. And the bell flowers are a bonus!

Unfortunately, It didn't like it's first home and got banished to Loser's Lane to recover. It is huge now and I'm afraid to move it to a more prominent location for fear of setting it back. I've also wanted to share it. I'm so glad you are going to have it again, Chris!

Thanks for the great hostas!

Karen
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Re: An old favorite - Ventricosa Aureomarginata

Post by pauhaus »

I'm glad to hear you're going to be selling this classic again Chris. I'm definitely going to pick one up. :cool:
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
New Topic Post Reply