Fragrant Fire

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Fragrant Fire

Post by pauhaus »

I got this from Chris as a bonus last year or the year before, first year it has bloomed. Love this hosta. :cool:
Attachments
fragrant-fire.jpg
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
LucyGoose

Re: Fragrant Fire

Post by LucyGoose »

It's beautiful!! :cool:
pauhaus

Post by pauhaus »

Well, thanks ms. goose. The flowers are big and they smell purty too! :D Did you get your babies planted yet?
Paul
My Hosta List

LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Well, I did get the Aligater Shoes, and the one you sent for me.....Oh man, I forgot the name...... :roll: .......but the others, no...it's been so hot....good excuse, huh? :lol:
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Very pretty Paul! :cool: I bought one when Chris offered them in a hosta sale. I think it was 2006. I don't know if mine is blooming or not. I'll have to check if I get a chance to run home tomorrow.

LucyGoose, It's Winfield Blue. There is something about your Hosta Winfield Blue that not many people can say about theirs. After it travelled here from Michigan and before it came to live with you, it took a trip to Winfield, Indiana.
:lol:
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Thanks for sharing Paul! Fragrant Fire is a white margined sport of Old Faithful, which gets to be a very large, upright hosta with tall scapes and huge flowers. I was shocked by the size of the flowers when I first saw them, and hope that Fragrant Fire will turn out to be as nice as its parent.

Personally I've never seen a mature or even remotely mature Fragrant Fire because I am always dividing them... But I do have a Hosta 'Old Faithful' that has really taken off. This was a gift from our own miss Lucygoose after a visit to Olga's hosta sale. If this thing gets much bigger I'll have to move a lot of things away from it :wow:
Attachments
oldfaithful.jpg
oldfaithful.jpg (40.08 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Patrushka wrote:

LucyGoose, It's Winfield Blue. There is something about your Hosta Winfield Blue that not many people can say about theirs. After it travelled here from Michigan and before it came to live with you, it took a trip to Winfield, Indiana.
:lol:
Thanks Pat!

WOW, Chris!! I wished I would have looked for that hosta while we were there.....I remember getting that and RockinC-Pegs hostas, too.....It's huge! :lol: No Fragrant Fire for me..... :lol:
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Post by jobranch »

I got Fragrant Fire at the Alabama Hosta Society sale last year. There were only two left when I purchased mine. Had several complements on it before I even made it to the car. To me it is a very tropical looking hosta and the red at the base of the petioles is a bonus. It is one of my special hostas since I have never seen it for sale locally, making it rare.
pauhaus

Post by pauhaus »

Wow Chris, that Old Faithful is huge, very nice. I wish I saw it in person at the get together. I really like Fragrant Fire, it looks great all summer, those flowers are amazing and the red pets too, although in my shot you really can't see them to appreciate them. Hi Pat, hope your mom is doing better, and thanks for getting that Winfield Blue to Ms. Goose.
Paul
My Hosta List

pauhaus

Post by pauhaus »

Hey Chris, how did you get the scroll bars on your pic you posted?
Paul
My Hosta List

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

pauhaus wrote:Hey Chris, how did you get the scroll bars on your pic you posted?
The forum does that part on its own if the image is not a thumbnail, but exceeds a certain dimension. For example, your attached file exceeded 50kb so the forum created a thumbnail. When you click on your picture it opens the full size image in another window. Mine was only 40kb so it didn't create a thumbnail, but because it exceeded a certain height it put the scroll bars on it. Click the image and it shows the full size image.

Not sure why all that is needed though... Maybe if I lower the thumbnail limit it will make more sense.
Patrushka

Post by Patrushka »

Wow Chris! That Old Faithful looks great! :cool: I was with LG when she bought it but I did not know that she gifted you with it. I hope I'll get to see it in person next year.

Thanks Paul, my mom is doing very well. I'm staying with her until my brother gets moved in because I don't want her to be here alone. I dreamt about my Fragrant Fire last night and it had a scape. :lol: I'm going home in a few minutes and I'll see if it really does. It was my pleasure to get Winfield Blue to Ms. Goose. :wink:
Pat
My Hosta List

~ Walt Whitman
Patrushka

Post by Patrushka »

It was only in my dreams. :???: My Fragrant Fire has no sign of scapes. Maybe next year. :wink: I'm glad you shared the pic of yours blooming Paul. :D
Pat
My Hosta List

~ Walt Whitman
myskyblue2

Post by myskyblue2 »

I just received Fragrant Fire in the Spring Secret Trade from Baja220, and it is shooting out a flower stalk already! I cant wait to see the bloom and a mature plant. Now I'm really excited!! :D
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

Hey sky, here's what it looked like before I divided up for trades and to take to my hosta society meeting. It'll grow great and pretty fast!! I love it and like everyone else has said, it smells great!!

New Topic Post Reply