Dark Green Halcyon

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Dark Green Halcyon

Post by jobranch »

I have never noticed any of my Halcyon as dark as this. This one is at my mother's house and greets everyone at the front door.

jobranch

Re: Dark Green Halcyon

Post by jobranch »

Chris - I need help with this photo. I pasted it from Photobucket and about 1/3 of the photo has been cut off. What have I done wrong?
Willowy

Post by Willowy »

That looks more like a Kryptonite or a Canadian Shield than a Halcyon....
a.k.a. hostabuff
My Hosta List & My Blog
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Could it have changed over to Devon Green (are they even related? LOL!).
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

jobranch wrote:Chris - I need help with this photo. I pasted it from Photobucket and about 1/3 of the photo has been cut off. What have I done wrong?
Hi,

The photo is simply too large to be displayed inline with your post so the forum is covering it up, otherwise it would force everything off people's monitors making the forum unreadable. Remember, not everyone has a large monitor - mine is only 17" but others only have a 13" monitor - so it is best to try an keep photos no more than about 8" wide. Your picture is over 14" wide, so someone with a 13" monitor would lose this post entirely if the forum didn't force the image to the background. To see more of the image try to make your browser window larger and you will see that the entire image is really there.

However it is easy to get the idea from your picture. This does look like Halcyon since there are still some spots of wax on the leaves, especially look at that new leaf emerging - it is still blue.

The blue on hostas is actually a waxy coating on the surface. As the summer progresses that blue will melt and wash off, usually leaving a dark green hosta. Keeping the blues out of the sun, heat, and by not overhead watering the blue wax will last longer. But when it really gets hot, that wax just melts away.

Hope both those items help :)

Chris
jobranch

Post by jobranch »

Chris - thanks for the reply. I have no idea what size the photo is (I just click the button on the camera and transfer it to my PC), and I know what you mean about it being larger than what is able to be displayed on my monitor because every photo I have posted here has been that way. I just don't know how to fix it. Can I resize it in Photobucket? What about making it a clickable photo? Help!
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Post by steg »

You should be able to resize in photobucket.

Click on the "edit" in blue above the picture. This should open a window that will allow you to resize the picture.

640 x 480 works pretty well, but you can go smaller too. Not sure which is best on the forum site but I think the 640x480 should be OK. You may have to play around with a couple sizes to see what works well.
jobranch

Post by jobranch »

Ok, here is my second attempt to post this pic...

Success! You guys are the best :beer:
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

If you wanna keep the pic full size and your posting them from photobucket, do the clickable thumpnails instead. You get that option when you select your pics.
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

It is still very pretty that way! I took a closer look at my Halcyon last night and it has turned green, it does still have a lot of the waxy coating left, but it has turned green. It's showing no signs of flowering, but that's OK. :) The only above watering my plants get is when a good storm comes through and sends rain to the glass doors. :D
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

I would go with Devon green
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

So would I, but Chris have´a sharp eyeand ntised the tiny leaf... it is blue.. so Halcyon it is :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

ooohhhh Yes well noticed. Halcyon it is deffo.
New Topic Post Reply