Late season hosta hunt

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Linda P

Late season hosta hunt

Post by Linda P »

I have a dear hosta-growing friend who is in her 80's. Yesterday we finally got our calendars synchronized and each had a free day, and off we went on a hosta adventure.
She was busy filling the cart with hostas, and saying that at her age, she has to look for the pots with the most in them, because she doesn't have that much time.
I picked out a couple, and she had probably 7 or 8. When we got back, she gave me a piece of every hosta she bought that I didn't already have.
So, I came home with:
Anne Kulpa, Blue Hawaii, Cloudburst, Cordelia, French Quarter (a new sport of Cajun Sunrise from Q&Z nursery), Rootin Tootin, Shazaam, and Silver Bay.
I just got my whole summer's accumulation of hostas in the ground on Monday, so now I have a few more to plant! Fortunately, there is still a little room where I planted the others.
It was a great day, we had soooo much fun! Next year we're going to try to get there earlier, so she can have the summer to watch them grow. As it is now, she will pop them in the ground and soon be on her way to Florida for the winter.
Oh, did I just say winter...ACK!
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Late season hosta hunt

Post by JaneG »

Sounds like a lovely day with a lovely friend. And some nice hostas, too!!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Peggy B would have called that an Excellent Adventure. Sounds like a fun day for both of you.

Cordelia isn't touted often but mine is a stand out medium sized grower and problem free.
Attachments
Cordelia.jpg
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Post by jobranch »

Nice haul Linda! I have never seen a single one of those you got - thank goodness for the hosta library.
hostanquilts

Post by hostanquilts »

Mary Ann, That Cordelia is gorgeous... I'm going to have to get one of those. Don't think I've ever seen one before.

Linda, That is a nice haul... very nice that you have someone to go hosta shopping with. I used to have 2 or 3, but Peggy C moved to TX, Joby got discouraged several years ago & isn't into hosta anymore & my other friend moved too. My DH goes with me know, but it's not the same. Can't buy several with many eyes & divide with friends... that was always special.
Jan

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble
remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by Marlys »

Linda P - What a perfect way to spend a perfect day :!:

H-'Ann Kulp' is an awesome plant :!: I think Connie D gave the plant to me. It has grown quite quickly and become quite large. The colors are clear and the contrast is bold, nice thick substance leaves. It has become a favorite in 'Marlys' Garden'. :D

Mary Ann - your H-'Cordelia' is beautiful. I am not familiar with that plant. Did we see it when we visited your gardens? That was such a lovely morning. Thank you, again for having us. It was a good time. I finally got your ferns into the ground last week. I put them along the east fence.

I think I finally got all my hostas into the ground. I planted the last of them today. My 'Sunpower' had suffered from dry crown rot and I had several surviving eyes in sinlge pots all season. I took them to last week's garden club plant sale but had to bring them home again. So into the ground for winter they go.

You know, I just remembered I have a very large unknown blue (Halcyon-type) hosta in a great big pot, and several pots of 'Gold Drop' sitting out under the big trees waiting for a home. Oh, bother! I thought I was done. I wanted to take the GD to the butterfly garden but the new area is not ready yet. They can't go back into the ground here, that's for sure. They might have to go into the potting shed in their pots. All of this makes me so stressed every single fall. Every year I swear I am not going to put myself through all of this frustration and every year I do.

Frost will be here soon!!! :frosty: We have been picking up walnuts out of the yard just about every day. It isn't safe out there under the walnut tree without a hard hat. :lol:

I'm looking forward to seeing hosta friends next Sunday @ the ROHS fall mtg / potluck. The food is always so GOOD!!! Usually lots of apple deserts. Yummy :idea: Everyone is looking forward to hearing Bob Soleburg speak on 'Selecting Hostas for Your Garden'. I heard him speak at the 2004 national convention and it was very good and very informative. He is an entertaining speaker. I always like the pictures best though.

Thanx! for sharing everyone.

MM
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Wonderful haul and sounds like you ladies had a grand time. There is almost nothing better than plant shopping with a good friend! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Mary Ann, I remembered seeing a pic of Cordelia before, and I think I also remember admiring it in your garden.
Jan..that is so sad. I met this particular hosta friend at one of my spring plant sales, and it turns out that she lives
just a couple of miles from me. She knew my mom, and is good friends with my aunt's sister in law...all those funny
connections that make you wonder why you never met before. Anyway, all of her gardening friends are either in
assisted living or just not interested anymore. Next year, we'll have to try to arrange to meet in Princeton,
maybe some of the other members close by can make it to. Jane, Mary Ann, Justaysam..what do you think?
Marlys, I know what you mean about getting that stuff in the ground. I still have some to plant, some to move.
I REFUSE to get stressed by it! I'm in control here, not my garden. (yeah, right..... :lol: )
Now I'm moving other perennials that are getting too much shade as my trees and shrubs grow, so I can plant
the hostas that are in the holding area out in the garden. Always something to do!
jobranch...glad you could find them in the library. Blue Hawaii is one of Olga Petrysyn's plants, and anything
of hers is good. I have Grand Canyon, Mississippi Delta, Millenium, and Brother Stephan, so this one
will be joining family members! :wink: Silver Bay has been on my list for a while, from Don Dean. Next time
I run into him and he asks me if I have it yet, I can say yes! Cloudburst is from Doug Beilstein, and one I've wanted
since I first saw a pic of it. I remember a discussion of Ann Kulpa from last summer, and I knew, Marlys, that it
was one of your faves. Glad to have it here and I will think of you when I look at it.
Joan, there's not much I'd rather do than go hosta shopping with friends, unless it would be meeting up with forum friends,
which you and I will just have to do one day!
Linda P

My Hosta List
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Sounds like a great day :D

You are so right, being together with garden friends is gooooood :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
twoblackdogs

Post by twoblackdogs »

Sounds like an excellent trip and great plant haul.

I can second Mary Ann on H. Cordelia - it's a wonderful grower and has been problem free for me as well.
I had to get it for my garden long ago since Cordelia is my first name, as well as my mothers and several cousins. Of course we all go by nicknames since no one ever seems to be able to pronounce it properly...!if I had any girls I would have passed it on as well.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Pia, I hope someday I can have the pleasure of spending a day in the garden with you.
Hard to see how that could happen, but you just never know!
Twoblackdogs...I will have to nickname Cordelia for you!
Linda P

My Hosta List
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I'm thinking it's not too smart of us to buy hosta for the name rather than it's attributes. There are lots of hosta I'd rather have now than some I have purchased just because I liked the name, like 'My Marianne' is no big deal. What was I thinking? :lol: It looked so innocent in a one quart pot.
Attachments
MyMarianne.jpg
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
New Topic Post Reply