Today's pic 12/13

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Linda P

Today's pic 12/13

Post by Linda P »

I finally got all of last summer's pics resized, so I thought I'd try to do some pics every few days.
I'll start out with a couple individual leaves on a streaked Lime Piecrust sport which my daughter named
Lena in honor of her great-grandma, my mom's mom. It seems to be settling out to a darker edged,
light centered leaf, not a high contrast between the two colors. The edged version is the plant I intend
to register when I get time to do the paperwork, hopefully next year!
In the coming days, I'll show you some of the seedlings from this plant. It doesn't produce a
high percentage of streaked babies, but the solid colored ones I got from it are quite nice.
I have one very young streaked plant from this year's crop, but the ones I had in the previous
planting I did in 2004 were all finished off when my cats dumped my tray of streakies on the
floor. Bad kitties!
Lena has the size and form of Lime Piecrust, which is to say it's really big. The color is most
noticeable early in the year, and then softens as the season goes on. I have it in a fair amount
of sun now, and it does fade a little earlier there than it did in more shade. It's been a slow
grower, as has Lime Piecrust, but they are both just magnificent in time, and worth waiting for.
Linda P
Attachments
P1010103.JPG Lena June 08.JPG
P1010103.JPG Lena June 08.JPG (35.26 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
P1010023.JPG Lena May 08.JPG
P1010023.JPG Lena May 08.JPG (36.9 KiB) Viewed 1891 times
Last edited by Linda P on Dec 14, 2008 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
eastwood2007

Re: Today's pic 12/13

Post by eastwood2007 »

Oh, how pretty!

I love those colors and the corrugation! I bought the hosta 'Made You Look" last year, and it has similar colors.

Thanks for sharing these....I'll certainly be looking forward to more! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Carol W
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Carol W »

Linda, I would add "Lena" to my yard! The color, leaf shape and size is very nice! Hopefully in the future "Lena" will be available.
Carol
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I'm pretty sure it will never be widely available. I need to divide the edged part from the streaky part this year. The thing is big enough now that I will have to get help digging it.
It grew so slowly, that I was just afraid to touch it for several years. DD has the only other plant of this, and hers is going to get moved next year. It's declining where it is. She has only 2 divisions, but hers is almost entirely the edged version. It still maintains some streaking here and there even after it settles out.
Linda P

My Hosta List
Buckeye

Post by Buckeye »

What a lovely plant Linda! I love the subtle variegation. My wife's name is Lena, so if you ever have any divisions available I would give/trade almost anything for one!

Fred
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Thanks, Fred. I really like the subtle variegation, too. I'll add you to the list. :D
I've got to get it out of the ground and sort out the streaky from the stable, and remove a few reversions to see where I stand with this one.
Linda P

My Hosta List
Willowy

Post by Willowy »

I really like the subtle variegation too! Some of my subtle favorites are hosta like Made You Look and Lakeside Symphony. Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.
a.k.a. hostabuff
My Hosta List & My Blog
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

Beautiful Linda!
Stephanie
New Topic Post Reply