Volunteers

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Linda P

Volunteers

Post by Linda P »

Here are pics of three vounteer hostas that I decided for one reason or other to save.
I have a few others as well, will try to get pics of them later.
Linda P
Attachments
This one is a very different shade of green, and is just this year cupping so you can see the white backs.  Possibly a Valentine Lace seedling.
This one is a very different shade of green, and is just this year cupping so you can see the white backs. Possibly a Valentine Lace seedling.
This one is probably a Frances Williams seedling, about 6 years old, just a huge mound of blue-gray.  At this point it's in quite a bit of sun and goes green later on, but it's still an impressive mound.   In this pic, it's still not all the way unfurled.  Gonna have to move Earth Angel this year or it will be eaten.  I've named this one Jabberwock.
This one is probably a Frances Williams seedling, about 6 years old, just a huge mound of blue-gray. At this point it's in quite a bit of sun and goes green later on, but it's still an impressive mound. In this pic, it's still not all the way unfurled. Gonna have to move Earth Angel this year or it will be eaten. I've named this one Jabberwock.
P1010095.JPGearth angel jabberwock may 09.JPG (53.4 KiB) Viewed 1421 times
Probably the bluest thing in my garden this week is this volunteer that came up between montana Aureomarginata and nigrescens.  I think it has a couple of years to go before it reaches full potential.
Probably the bluest thing in my garden this week is this volunteer that came up between montana Aureomarginata and nigrescens. I think it has a couple of years to go before it reaches full potential.
P1010114.JPG blue volunteer may 09.JPG (44.97 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
HostaDesigner

Re: Volunteers

Post by HostaDesigner »

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! :D
jgh

Post by jgh »

such fun! Why would one buy a big blue when they can grow their own Jabberwock?!

For years I didn't even know hostas seeded... I think I just weeded them in the spring and then the Preen kept them from germinating. Now I love collecting all of them I can and moving them to an area in my "back forty." the variety is amazing.

I've got four that I can't move - they came up in the narrow space between two RR ties I use as walkways in part of the garden - all four quite different and they demonstrate to visitors the incredible hardiness of the species...
R. Rock
USDA Zone: 3-4

Post by R. Rock »

Hello Linda,
Those are very nice and definately "Garden Worthy" :D
Please send me your rains. I have had only two rains this year. I have never experienced this. 1988 was bad, but I don't remember it.
Be part of the solution
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Those all sure look nice, Linda. Wish my volunteers were 1/2 as interesting.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Thanks for the nice comments! It's strange, when you find things like these, and some of the seedlings you baby along with high hopes of ending up with something wonderful just turn out to be duds. There's no rhyme or reason to it, but it sure is fun!
Linda P
Attachments
Here's one that came up last year.   I don't have a clue where it got this rufflled edge, or if it will stay.
Here's one that came up last year. I don't have a clue where it got this rufflled edge, or if it will stay.
P1010012.JPG ruffled green volunteer May 09.JPG (53.03 KiB) Viewed 1246 times

My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

OH MY!!! That's a LOT of ruffling for a 2nd year plant. WOW!!! :cool: 8-) :cool:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

So true how the ones you baby don't go anywhere and then you end up finding little natural weedlings that are so interesting!

A few of my weedlings are getting so large that I've been looking for tags to try and figure out what they are supposed to be, only to remember it was just a 4 or 5 year old volunteer that I let go :lol:
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I have one that I had been trying to identify for years, just called it Dad's green one.
It's like a smaller version of Elegans that is not blue, it's a matte finish green with some rugosity.
When my parents bought the house it was growing alongside the house next to the gravel driveway with nothing else, looking like an odd place to plant something. After a while I started to notice that it wasn''t the same as all the other green ones (Undulata Erromena)
So over the years we have divided it many times. After seeing so many common hostas and specialty hostas that don't look like it, I have concluded that it had to be a random hosta seed that got planted there, by a bird dropping perhaps.
That's part of what got me into this addiction, trying to identify what it was.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Chris_W wrote: A few of my weedlings are getting so large that I've been looking for tags to try and figure out what they are supposed to be, only to remember it was just a 4 or 5 year old volunteer that I let go :lol:
Chris, if I didn't make maps and note where the volunteers are, I'd be doing the same thing. I'd be right there with Dave, trying to find out the name of that big blue one, if I hadn't marked it down as a seedling. I've been thinking that I should put a red popsicle stick or something next to all the volunteers that I let grow. It just amazes me the kind of plants some of them turn out to be.
This one I call Jabberwock is such a monster, it seems I take another pic of it every time I'm in the garden.
Linda P
Attachments
P1010001.JPG Jabberwok in the rain May 26 09.JPG
P1010002.JPG Jabberwok leaves May 26 09.JPG
P1010002.JPG Jabberwok leaves May 26 09.JPG (52.33 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
I measured this big boy as best I could, and it's 68" across.  I didn't measure to see how tall it is, guess I'd better do that too.
I measured this big boy as best I could, and it's 68" across. I didn't measure to see how tall it is, guess I'd better do that too.
P1010056.JPG Jabberwock eating ruler May 31 09.JPG (52.55 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
Last edited by Linda P on Jun 02, 2009 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Hosta List
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Beautiful Babies! ANd I also agree - we nurture seedling and hover over hundreds of them trying to select the best, and sometimes the best pop up "in the wild"

Enjoy them all!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Here's one that I kept and moved out into a spot in one of the hosta beds a couple of years ago.
It arose between Blue Wedgwood (which you can definitely see in the leaf shape) and Fragrant Blue.
I'm not just sure where the grey color came from, but Azure Snow is right close by.
Whatever it is, I like it.
Linda P
Attachments
Please ignore the belly button lint.....
Please ignore the belly button lint.....
P1010042.JPG vol blwdgwd leaf a May 26 09.JPG
P1010042.JPG vol blwdgwd leaf a May 26 09.JPG (50.81 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
P1010043.JPG vol blwdgwd leaf B May 26 09.JPG
P1010043.JPG vol blwdgwd leaf B May 26 09.JPG (39.85 KiB) Viewed 1119 times

My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

WOW!! That's another nice one. How old is it?? I'd be thinking of doing something with that one. Very nice, Linda!! 8-)
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Reldon, I think it's about 6 years old...can't remember for sure on this one. I know it popped up during our family cancer episode, so I don't have a clear recollection of exactly when I first noticed it. I have it planted next to Silk Kimono, and I think maybe the grey on this one sort of enhances that velvet look of SK. :D
I think I need to watch it a little closer this year to see when it flowers, etc.
Linda P

My Hosta List
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Jabberwok? Where'd that come from? :lol:
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

It's in homage to my old high school English teacher, who made me memorize that old Lewis Carroll poem, and way too many years later, I can still remember most of it. It comes into my head out of nowhere, and then won't go away for days at a time. I decided I might just as well name a hosta after it, and the at least I'll have a reason to remember it, besides just general looniness.
I need to go back and correct the spelling! I dropped the "c" out of it!

http://www.jabberwocky.com/carroll/jabb ... wocky.html

Linda P

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply