Gypsy Rose variations

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Gypsy Rose variations

Post by redcrx »

Last year I bought two Gypsy Rose at a local grower and planted them next to each other. They looked the same. This year they came back with one of them looking a little different - the edge is a lot darker.
Attachments
Gypsy Rose 09
Gypsy Rose 09
Gypsy Rose 09 darker edge
Gypsy Rose 09 normal look
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
jgh

Re: Gypsy Rose variations

Post by jgh »

I've seen a lot of variability in Gypsy Rose... luckily both of yours look really good. I have one very happy, very healthy GR except it has almost no white stripes... most leaves don''t have any at all... kind of spoils the whole "strip" thing...

given the amount of color change in the whole Gold Standard family through the season, it will be interesting to see if the darker vs. lighter remains this dramatic all season...
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

One other point of variation - the darker one held on very late in the season. It was around for weeks after the other one gave up. It stayed until December when an ice storm took out everything.
Last edited by redcrx on Jan 19, 2011 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Ok, what's the difference between Gypsy Rose and Striptease? I just held my Striptease up to the screen and other than a slightly lighter center and more white on your Gypsy Rose, there is no difference that I can see.
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

OK, here goes my opinion. (Given this is a moving target.)

GR is smaller.
GR seems to have more yellow (almost orange) in the center.
GR might be more sun tolerant - I have seen ST go white in the center while I have a GR in an area that cooked a Gold Standard.
GR seems brighter, a cleaner look.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

My Striptease never poses well for photos - here's my best.
Attachments
Striptease and a little Naked Lady 09
Striptease and a little Naked Lady 09
jgh

Post by jgh »

I love all the Striptease family, and each one has its pluses.

Striptease - the original and a nostalgic favorite... exceptional grower, can make a huge mound (just like its mom, Gold Standard). It flaws, if you want to call them that, are that it colors up sort of slowly (just like its mom) leaving it with some sort of "muddy" coloring for a number of weeks. Also the green tends to be a kind of dusty green.

Kiwi Full Monty is distinctly bluer and holds that blue through an amazing amount of heat and sun. The white really looks cool against that blue.

Risky Business is often thought of as a Striptease sport - and overlooked when people discuss "best white-centered cultivars" - but that's what it is... a good green with a very distinct clear white center.

Gypsy Rose, as noted, stays smaller than the previous three. It colors up much earlier than Striptease in my garden, and the green is more distinct, none of the dusty grayish overlay found on Striptease. My biggest disappointment has been the scarcity of white in GR - so I was surprised to see the excellent markings in Ed's pictures. Both of my mature GR are in full midday sun and doing just fine there... but then again, so does KFM and Striptease...
sugar

Post by sugar »

jgh wrote:I love all the Striptease family, and each one has its pluses.

Striptease - the original and a nostalgic favorite... exceptional grower, can make a huge mound (just like its mom, Gold Standard). It flaws, if you want to call them that, are that it colors up sort of slowly (just like its mom) leaving it with some sort of "muddy" coloring for a number of weeks. Also the green tends to be a kind of dusty green.

Kiwi Full Monty is distinctly bluer and holds that blue through an amazing amount of heat and sun. The white really looks cool against that blue.

Risky Business is often thought of as a Striptease sport - and overlooked when people discuss "best white-centered cultivars" - but that's what it is... a good green with a very distinct clear white center.

Gypsy Rose, as noted, stays smaller than the previous three. It colors up much earlier than Striptease in my garden, and the green is more distinct, none of the dusty grayish overlay found on Striptease. My biggest disappointment has been the scarcity of white in GR - so I was surprised to see the excellent markings in Ed's pictures. Both of my mature GR are in full midday sun and doing just fine there... but then again, so does KFM and Striptease...
What I don't like about Gypsy Rose is that it doesn't seem to create a consistent poll. But even then, it stays a really nice plant. And you left out my favourite Striptease sport, 'Hanky Panky'. Give it the right spot in the garden (not too shady, not too sunny) and...
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

"Striptease - the original and a nostalgic favorite... exceptional grower, can make a huge mound (just like its mom, Gold Standard). It flaws, if you want to call them that, are that it colors up sort of slowly (just like its mom) leaving it with some sort of "muddy" coloring for a number of weeks. Also the green tends to be a kind of dusty green."

OK, I see what you mean. My Striptease has a smokey appearence and you are saying Gypsy Rose has a more clear green/white contrast. Thanks! :)
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I'll run updated pictures on this topic through the season.

As for the Hanky Panky subject I have a thread running already on the way that plant changes. It was my first ST sport and my addition.

As to Risky Business: I bought a couple small last season with a very thin white center. This year they are back with a huge white center. I'll find the photos to compare. But a real question about the white centered ST sports is - is there a difference between RB and Pole Cat or White Bikini or White LIne Fever? I know there are more but these I have actually seen and I don't see much difference - but they are young and small - and they do change all the time.
New Topic Post Reply