Secret Trade Received!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Re: Secret Trade Received!

Post by caliloo »

So... I got my secret hosta swap package today from my real trader! :lol: :lol: :lol: I am still mortified that I thanked Steg for a swap box that his SO sent for a different trade, but I am trying hard to get over it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, thank you so much to Scott for sending Ice Age Trail! I was heartbroken last year when I lost mine and now I have a new one to nurture and do my best with.

Thanks so much!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I got my trade on Thursday but haven't taken the time to post about it until today.
The long triangular tube box was on my porch from Hostabuff, and it had inside 4 supernice hostas:
Lakeside Downsized - a small one which I love, don't remember seeing it before;
Lakeside Love affair- I have had my eye on this one!
Neptune - I really like this one, I did not realize it could get so big!
Dalton's Pick, a very sturdy looking bright yellow. I think I have heard the name but not seen it.
Great choices for me!
Thank you Robin, and thanks to Brian for running the trade!
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

I got home last night after a long day out of town and what was sitting by the door? A familiar looking triangle box. My secret trade. Yippee!! Mary/Pandora sent me really nice divisions of 3 hostas that I didn't have. Another yippee! I got August Moon, Sea Fire and Manhattan. I can't wait to see how they do in the garden!!
Thank you so much Mary. These secret trades are always so much fun. Thanks to Brian for setting it up.
Jo
The Garden is a Mirror of the Heart
Seedseller1

Post by Seedseller1 »

I haven't participated in this (or any other) secret trade in a couple of years, and I realize that it's not over or at least not everybody has reported in yet, but the generosity of some of the traders and the variety of plants sent astounds me. I felt as if I might have cheated my trader when I only sent 3 plants and some sent as many as 5 or 6, but also realized that the rules state "one named hosta". I don't believe I could have jammed one more in my box anyway :D :D . A thought that entered my mind (and I am guilty of this), did anybody check Hallsons list of plants offered to see if the plants they sent were available here? Yes, thanks go out to Brian (grdnnkd) for organizing this, but a special THANKS should go out to Chris and Brian/Hallsons for hosting an event that could possibly detract from their sales. Maybe that should be added to the criteria of the next secret swap? Anyway, I am so glad that I participated this year rather than watching from the sidelines and hope all the traders feels the same. I would have been happy to receive any of the trades reported in, nice job everybody!

Enough rambling,

Thanks Chris and Brian
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

Hosta12,
I am so glad you like them. It is lots of fun trying to find what you would think is the best fit for the other person's garden
and knowing that I was able to share something that I have nutured and cared for. It's like a little glimpse of me.

I went back and forth whether to include that broken piece, but it had good roots and I knew you were an experienced
gardener, so I decided to let you chose to plant it with the main part or have a separate plant that might need a little TLC.
scootersbear

Post by scootersbear »

glad you received it caliloo, I wanted to send you some of my hostas but hail did mine in so my only choice was to order it, but from what I read it was one that you really wanted. So I have to thank John the Diggindutchman for his help.
hostanquilts
USDA Zone: 5

Post by hostanquilts »

I originally posted in the Secret Trade Sign-up thread that I had received my package of hosta from Renaldo. I didn't see this thread until a day or 2 later & didn't bother reposting here, but I got a pm from grdnnkd today asking if I had received it, so thought I'd better post it here. I copied & pasted it here. Thanks again renaldo75 & grdnnkd for hosting this Secret Trade.

by hostanquilts » Jun 8th, '09, 16:09

I'm doing the Happy Hosta Dance today... Received 6, yes, 6 nice plants from renaldo75. He sent me 'Green Lama', 'Maraschino Cherry', 'Green With Envy', 'Striker', 'White Wall Tires', & Lakeside Spellbinder. He also sent a nice letter with information about each of them. They are soaking, getting rehydrated from their trip & I'll be potting them up later.
I went on a bus trip with the CIHS (Central Illinois Hosta Society) & we went to Klehm's & the Flower Factory... I spent way too much money, but got some neat hosta & then I was concerned that I might have gotten some that my secret sender might send me, but renaldo75 did good. He didn't send any I had & replace 2 that I had lost.
Whoopeee!!!
Thanks so much for the nice hosta renaldo75 & to grdnkd for hosting the Secret Trade.
Jan

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble
remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
John

Post by John »

Found a package waiting for me this afternoon--- what fun!

My secret trader was Ellen, "FreakyCola." She sent me four wonderful hostas, all new to my garden.

HOLLY'S DAZZLER--- nice dark green color, and beautiful piecrust edges, which I love;

AMERICAN SWEETHEART--- lots of white, on very substantial leaves;

JUNE FEVER--- an instant new favorite, a sport of JUNE, with pretty green-edged yellow leaves;

KIWI FULL MONTE--- intricately patterned leaves, a sport of STRIPTEASE, love it. Besides STRIPTEASE I also grow RISKY BUSINESS, so I sense the beginning of a theme bed...

THANK YOU, FreakyCola, for an excellent trade. I will have more fun tomorrow finding the perfect spot for each of these.
morgansrgr8

Post by morgansrgr8 »

I received my trade today. Just got home from camping and on my way back from doing barn chores the mail lady beeped her horn at me. AHHHH the awaited triangle box. I was grateful it came after we got back from camping. Wouldnt want them to cook in the sun.
My secret trader scrappinmusicmommy sent me 3 beautiful hosta and a pulmonaria that came from her grandmother. I am so sentimental that I have alot of plants given to me of some very old plants.
Along with the hosta they had their own name tags and a nice information sheet to help me place them in my garden.

Holly's Dazzler - A beautiful piecrusted hosta. I have a soft spot for them. The information sheet says they look like a glossy Ventricosa. You wouldnt believe how many clumps I have of those. A bonus is they are very fragrant purple flowers.

Grand Tiara - Showier and more substance than Golden Tiara. A very welcome addition.

Swoosh - A streaked breeder. WOOHOO Cant wait till it flowers. I used to have one but this baby is marked so way much better than the one I had.

I thank scrappinmusicmommy (Aundrea) for the wonderful trade.
And would like to thank grdnnkd for taking the time out of his day to organize this trade.
Linda
I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
BytheLake

Post by BytheLake »

Posting a big thank you to grdnkd for my hosta!

Grdnkd sent
Lakeside Zinger
Copa Cabana
Fried Bananas

Found the box at home after getting off work today so their arrival is perfect timing for my weekend and getting them planted in the garden. Grdnkd sent along an informative note with descriptions of these three and they sound wonderful.

Thanks again grdnkd (Brian) for the nice hostas and for all your time and energy spent organizing this exchange.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I'm glad you got your box alright, Janice. I hadn't thought to look on the original trade post to see if they'd been received so I was hoping the box wasn't sitting somewhere. I am glad I was able to find things from my garden that you didn't have. It wasn't easy. ;) I hope they do well for you!! :)
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Minnow
USDA Zone: 6
Location: Henderson County 35 19' 12.15" N 82 35' 40.40" W Elevation2143

Post by Minnow »

Mine came last Saturday! :roll: I will report back later this evening! :wink: I thanked my trader, but forgot to post here! :oops:
Elizabeth

No man needs a vacation as bad as the man who has just had one.
vawildflower

Post by vawildflower »

I want to thank my secret trader for a fabulous surprise today!!!!!!!!! She (NewB) went shopping at Hallsons and boy did I reap the benefits of her spree. Lakeside rhapsody, Lederhosen, Magic Fire, June fever, Allegan Emperor, and First frost all came to my house today and a big brown box and I couldnt have been more pleased. Thanks again for being so generous with the hosta. Those babies (the plants Chris sent are HUGE) will be well taken care of and hopefully one day I will be able to share with someone else! :D
"thanks NewB"
wild
hostasandpapillons

Post by hostasandpapillons »

I got a great surprise when I got home from work today also, from Cindy (VAWildflower??)
I got very nice divisions of Great Arrival, Maya Tritone, Hi Ho Silver and Potomac Pride. Not only that, there's a daylily Trixie Delight and a really nice pair of bright yellow gardening gloves (how did Cindy know I always misplace mine and need bright colors so I can spot them easier??) :lol:
I didn't have any of those hosta or the daylily, and had my eye on Maya Triton for a while, so this is great.
Thank you Cindy for some wonderful selections!!
Lori
aka hostasandpapillons
spencer1400

Post by spencer1400 »

I received my secret trade today from Steve and Deb Heiken (Whitewater176). I am now in paradise because they sent me Paradise of Fire, Paradise Sunset and Paradise Glory. How thoughtful of them to have a theme. They are all planted in my baby bed and will be carefully tended. Thanks so much!

Jane
spencer1400
vawildflower

Post by vawildflower »

Sorry Lori,

Yes, vawildflower is me ...I usually just sign "wild"...Glad you were happy with your plants and someday when they grow up you can send me a picture of just how big they get!

thanks
wild (cindy)
newB

Post by newB »

Wild (aka Cindy),

I am so glad that your package arrived! I had great fun shopping at Hallson, Chris was wonderful and patient as I spent forever looking and deciding what to send, of course it was not easy, you have quite a list! I am very fond of First Frost as well as the others. I also got an oppertunity to scope out some others I will be going back for as soon as I finish my move and get my babies settled. You know, I have to go back soon so I can recycle all the pots that I am using :D

I hope they all do very well for you and I look forward to seeing pictures of them in your gardens!

Mari
Who needs shoes when you can have another Hosta???
allhuskrred

Post by allhuskrred »

Happpy Hossta Dannce, I got my secret trade today and BOY!!! was I pleased , spencer1400

was real generous and sent 5 , yes 5 hosta and I don't have a single one. THANK ALOT , Jane

They look really healthy : My new additions are: LS April Snow, LS Lollipop, Pearl Lake,

Pauls Glory and Torchlight

Sorry but I got planting to do, Thank again , Jane

Allen
Margery

Post by Margery »

My turn! Allan, Allhuskred sent me 6 fabulous plants! They arrived last Thursday to my in-laws since I've been in California trucking. I used their address giving them instructions how to care for them. I just couldn't not be in the trade! I' m funally home and and tired but picking up my trade really put a smile on my face. Allan sent:
Golden Spider
Medusa
Little Ceasar
Emerald Necklace
Lakeside Zinger
All really nice sized divisions and each one beautiful! Sorry it took me so long to post Allan, I know you were concerned. Now i'm doing the hosta dance! MY MIL said she had afun time opening the box and seeing what was inside too!

Thank you Allan! And thanks to Brian for organizing this years trade and a big thanks to Chris & Brian for allowing us to have so much fun!
vawildflower

Post by vawildflower »

I second that motion. :beer: to Chris and Brian!!!!!!!!!! I have a wonderful time giving and receiving in this years spring trade. Sharing in the excitement, as theirs gifts came in, was so much fun. Like Christmas everyday. Also, I think it was great that everyone took the time to try to give plants that the other didnt have and that they were so generous with what they sent! Great selection of hosta as well!
thanks...
wild
New Topic Post Reply