Tell or dont tell?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
wingnut

Tell or dont tell?

Post by wingnut »

I was just out looking at different nurseries yesterday here in Lapeer and noticed a Pauls Glory with tiny little freckles all over the leaves, I told my DH that I was going to say something but he reminded me of a time that I told another seller of virused hostas about the S&S possibly having a virus he was instantly miffed and told his workers that I was wrong and that there was nothing wrong with the hostas.

So I left this one alone.We then made a stop at a house improvement chain store and found the same thing in the same plant,,,this time I pointed it out to the sales clerk who thanked me and told that she would say something to her boss.

What would you do? I mean these hostas were bad!
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Tell or dont tell?

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

I'm guilty of often not saying anything. I've pointed it out to employees at the box stores, hardware stores, and even the local grocery store before, and I know it was simply met on deaf ears. I've written emails to complain about HVX to different companies and again, nothing came of it. Now I just tend to shake my head and walk away, so yes, I'm bad in that regard.

On the other hand, if it was a specialty nursery that was selling HVX infected plants I would try and take the time to talk to the owners. How seriously they took it would then allow me to judge my next response - be it calling the Michigan Department of Agriculture or telling everyone I know to avoid the place.

It is really frustrating to see it so much, and I know that if a nursery has it showing in one or two plants that it is probably through a lot more which just aren't showing it yet :(
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Last year I discovered very visible HVX in most of the 'Lady Guinevere' at the local Wal-Mart. I spoke to one of the assistant managers who was polite & listened to what I was saying & could see that the leaves looked different than the rest. And when I was done he told me they'd just gotten a clean bill of health from the state ag inspector the previous week. Those hostas had been there most of the spring so I kind of figured that the state inspector probly needed to be educated about HVX first if anything was going to ever get done about it. :???: So frustrating to be fighting a losing battle...
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

I don't ever say anything anymore either. I just don't buy from the infected store/nursery anymore. I told people before and they just stare at me like I'm explaining the scientific difference between genuine Oreos and the store brand cookies. They couldn't care less. If they sell them, they get their money and the plant is gone. Cha-ching for them.
Noreaster

Post by Noreaster »

I saw some bad looking cases at a local high end nursery here once and brought one up to the counter to show the manager...could have even been the owner, I don't know. She definitely was not an underling. She had a computer right there and googled HVX right on the spot and could see that their plants clearly had the textbook signs. She was sooooo thankful to me for telling her. Then I went back to the nursery later in the season to buy some daylilies and saw a whole new batch of infected looking hosta sitting there.
jody

Post by jody »

I don't say anything anymore either :oops:

Of all the places I've talked to someone about it there has only ever been one that was genuinely interested and thankful. It seems to fall on "deaf" ears most places. I suppose we should all start making the effort again even at the risk of it falling on deaf ears since there are the occasional places that really do care.
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Post by steg »

Noreaster wrote:I saw some bad looking cases at a local high end nursery here once and brought one up to the counter to show the manager...could have even been the owner, I don't know. She definitely was not an underling. She had a computer right there and googled HVX right on the spot and could see that their plants clearly had the textbook signs. She was sooooo thankful to me for telling her. Then I went back to the nursery later in the season to buy some daylilies and saw a whole new batch of infected looking hosta sitting there.
Wow.....that's ridiculous, but I've had the same thing happened to me last year. I don't go there anymore.
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
supercat
USDA Zone: 5

Post by supercat »

Steg - can you PM me which nursery so I can avoid it too?
Supercat
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

I mentioned that the whole batch of Gold Standard was infected at my local Canadian tire store last season. I know it was sent back to the supplier, but they just got another infected batch in. I've known the general manager of the store for quite awhile and I mentioned it to him later in the season, but I don't really know what action was taken the second time. This year, so far, they look clean. Doesn't mean they are, of course...
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

For those of you who have made even the slightest effort, I personally thank you. I couldn't tell an infected plant from an elephant, so any effort made toward healthy plants is a plus for me. Still, I completely understand when you choose to say nothing. Each of us can see from the experiences listed on this thread alone, that saying something only rarely does any good! So, why set yourself up for possible abuse? I have bought a couple of plants from other places, but not any more. From now on, all my hostas come from Hallson's!!!!
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

What about telling other gardeners? A couple of days ago I stopped at a house near my church which has the entire front lawn covered in hostas and lovely rock walkways between them. The owner was having a plant sale too. I was STUNNED to find out that he has no idea what kinds of hostas he has and further stunned when I saw one along his driveway just loaded with HVX. I DID tell him, but it was obvious he didn't care.

Ann
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
R. Rock
USDA Zone: 3-4

Post by R. Rock »

Ann,
I would creatively get a positive "test" result on your find. Inform a higher authority or write a letter to the editor of the local newspaper. Think of how many innocent people could/will be infected/affected. I have NO tolerance for denial or naysayers.
Be part of the solution
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

If I am sure I tell- every time.

Some do not listen, but for my own sake - I tell them :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply