Recommendation for Large Variegated Hosta

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Recommendation for Large Variegated Hosta

Post by JaneG »

I need a recommendation for a VIGOROUS Large Variegated Hosta.

In looking at the pictures of everyones beautiful hosta plantings, I finally figured out what my new woodland hosta bed is lacking . . . those really eye-catching large variegated-leaf hostas that always draw your eye to them and stand out in the pictures.

For some reason, I have really nice large solid color hostas in many shades from deep shiny greens to blues, upright to mounding, and I love them all. (Seems I'm always drawn by variety in form, and don't think about color.) I have 2 huge Leading Lady, which are one of my favs, but the margin is narrow for the leaf size, and although maybe she's a leading lady, she isn't really a colorful show-off in the garden. Sagae is probably my showiest big one and he does great for me.

As far as nice variegated, I have a Lakeside Shoremaster which I received in the trade last year, which I expect to do well. I also have Jewel of the Nile and Dream Weaver, but I'm beginning to suspect that they are going to take their time getting well established.

So what is a vigorous growing, BIG, middle-variegated eye-catcher for me to put in my new woodland hosta bed? (Emphasis on Big and Vigorous)

Oh, I forgot, I do have Guacamole and Holy Mole, which are nice fast growers, they anchor one corner in the bed. I've had them so long they slipped my mind.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
loisf

Re: Recommendation for Large Variegated Hosta

Post by loisf »

Well, she isn't middle-variegated, but I don't think you can beat montana Aureomarginata for eye-catching appeal. The first time I saw a mature clump in someone's yard, I almost drove off the road. I stopped and asked the homeowner who hadn't a clue as to the cultivar name, but loved the plant and said people were always stopping and asking about it. My clump hasn't reached its full potential yet, but maybe the Hosta Library has a good photo.

sugar

Post by sugar »

For a center-variegated, the obvious choice would be a sieboldiana 'Elegans' sports. But I think 'Journey's End' is the largest centre variegated hosta available. An alternative (and a very spectacular one) would be 'Brother Stefan'

You could also pick out one of the extra-large edge variegated : Victory , Sum Of All or Lady Isobel Barnett to name a few.
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

I have heard that white elephant is a good grower for being a white centered hosta.
And I just got lime smoothie and journey's end too. Will see how they grow, hoping at least up to the hype.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I was thinking some of the same plants: montana aureomarginata and Silk Kimono until you mentioned middle variegated, then Journey's End came to mind. Corn Belt is getting big for me, but not sure how giant it will be.

My largest white centered plant is actually Night Before Christmas, and it is definitely vigorous.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

For a huge one Mount Tom
If a medium can do it Kiwi Full Mounthy

But if you have an area with solid colored ones why not find a beautiful solid colored like niagara Falls and plant it in a beautiful (blue) tall pot. It will be an eye catcher, but in a gentle way letting the eye look at all the spapes, edges and bumples on the other hostas.
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Abba Dabba Do always catches my eye, I really like mine and it stands out no matter what hosta is around it.

Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

Victory is the biggest variegated one I have. It is Elatior with a creamy white edge.
Last edited by DBoweMD on Jun 30, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wbara

Post by wbara »

key west , gets my vote
Joe

Post by Joe »

Victory has turned into a very impressive, very large and upright hosta for me. Took a little time to get going, though, but I have it less than optimum lighting conditions, so that hasn't helped.

Garden Party is nearby and equally impressive, just not quite as big. Also a little slow to get going.

Both of them I would definitely nominate for best in class.

Joe in CT
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by Marlys »

Jane G - Hosta 'Rascal' really lights up my garden & has grown into a huge upright / vase-shape specimen.
It really is my favorite :!:
Try it - you'll like it :beer:

Also - my other favorite is 'Northern Exposure' but it is not mediovariegated. And there is H 'Earth Angel' / H 'Guardian Angel' / 'Sagae' / 'Liberty' / 'Victory'.

A real huge beauty in the garden is H 'Leading Lady'. It really shines / gleams in the garden as does many of the Sum & Substance plants. A real show-stopper is H 'Regal Splendor'. Mine is huge and awesome but not mediovariegated.

And there is H 'Great Expectations' if you can get it to grow / survive / live :D

MM
jgh

Post by jgh »

Your criteria are
large
mediovariegated
vigorous

There are quite a number of hostas that will fill this niche. I'll mention a few of my favorites. No time to do photos right now, but these are all relatively common and oft-photographed...

First suggestion would be Paradigm. My biggest one is approaching 5' in diameter and the variegation and corrugation make it a stand out. Vigorous and easy to grow, very tolerant of abuse. It colors up early, and colors up well even in the deepest shade. There's a reason it was picked hosta of the year. If I was going to only add one in the category you request, it would be Paradigm.

Second recommendation would be Paul's Glory or one of its tetraploid sports, St. Paul and Paradise Glory. My Paul's Glory, growing in tough conditions - hot and bright - is approaching 5' in diameter. It is common and inexpensive. My Paradise Glory is getting lots of attention now that it is established. These varieties don't come up brightly colored, but color up as the season progresses. My St. Paul is in deep shade and is slow getting it's full growth - but all indications are that it may be the same plant as Paradise Glory.

Another large one that is slow to color up is Guacamole... on the other hand, it gives you a different leaf shape (very rounded) and great fragrant white flowers.

Garden Party is truly magnificent - something I didn't really realize until it "leapt" this year. Very impressive.

How about On Stage? You've had several recommendations for its edge-variegated parent, Montana Aureomarginata... the two of them look good together...

In a medium-large that stays lower to the ground, the classic Gold Standard. It is common as dirt and we love it. Only thing to be careful of is the tendency for cheap plants from large-scale production to be carrying HVX. Get divisions from somebody whose had it, like we have, for twenty years growing without worry or attention.

And one more - a kind of oddball suggestion - War Paint. In early spring, this one will steal the show from all the other mediovariegated hostas. Some people give it a bad rap because it turns all green - but then again, the all green version is a dead ringer for its parent, Niagara Falls - which may be the finest large, green hosta, so it remains a great addition to the garden.

Saw some nice Journey's End on our trip... don't know how we missed having this one.
hostanquilts

Post by hostanquilts »

I have a Shade Fanfare that is getting pretty big too.
Jan

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble
remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Lots of good suggestions, Jane. One that hasn't been mentioned yet surprisingly is Old Glory. Fast grower, very showy, mediovariegated. Another in the edge variegated category that's impressing me this year is Atlantis which I believe is the tetraploid version of Abba Dabba Do. From what I'm seeing so far, it's a pretty fast grower for a tet.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by Marlys »

Oh, yes!!! I forgot: H 'Old Glory' is my favorite & a truly awesome specimen plant. Mine is large but not in the huge category but maybe very large but not nearly as large as 'Leading Lady' or 'Rascal' but a huge clump. That's clear as mud & totally depends on how you define each hosta category size by clump size or leaf size or what. :?:

Thanx! Reldon for the reminder of my favorite hosta. :lol:

MM
jgh

Post by jgh »

On the garden tours I kept finding myself taking pics of Old Glory... it is a very nice one. Mine has been slow, but I think it is a matter of location. I came home determined to move it - but I just looked and it seems pretty well settled, if somewhat dwarfed, in its heavy shade spot beneath a pear tree. I have it planted with its parent, Glory... G seems to be much taller... again, maybe it's the deep shade rather than the genes...
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I think it must be the location for your Old Glory & Glory, Jim. Old Glory was one of my fastest growers when I 1st got into hostas. Never noticed it much until its 3rd year when it really got my attention. Large, but not huge would be a good way of describing it for size. Glory has taken longer to get big & still isn't as large as Old Glory.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

I have an absolutely enormous Abba Dabba Doo that dwarfs everything else around it. I had no idea it would grow so large, but it did, and it's under a tree so it has to compete with tree roots too. I'll go out and take a pic tomorrow so you can see it -- I'll also measure it for you. It's edge instead of center variegated, but having said that, it complies with all your other criteria. It brings people to a dead stop in my front garden! Phyllis
jgh

Post by jgh »

Here's some Paradigm pics...

Paradigm and Gold Standard

Paradigm

and Darwin's Standard, which was registered as a sport from Gold Standard but Zilis notes that the plant we buy as Darwin's Standard doesn't appear to have anything in common with Gold Standard but does closely resemble Paradigm in growth and flowering

jgh

Post by jgh »

and since I mentioned Gold Standard and it's in the first pic with Paradigm, a closeup

New Topic Post Reply