Guardian Angel

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Guardian Angel

Post by Chris_W »

Here's one of my older Guardian Angel - sort of growing flat rather than mounding like Blue and Earth Angel tend to do, but it is still one of my favorites. You can see how it is turning more solid blue compared to the newer leaves, but I like the subtle variations in it.

Anyone else have pictures of this one to share?
guardianangel.jpg
Linda P

Re: Guardian Angel

Post by Linda P »

Nice one, Chris. I haven't taken any pics of mine this year. I had a little crown damage of some sort on my huge one last year, and cut off part of it. The remainder is still quite large, and there was enough good tissue left in the damaged part to start a couple of new plants. I'm glad I went and looked at it before I lost the whole plant!
This picture is from 07.
Linda P
Attachments
Guardian Angel unfurling May 20 07.JPG
Guardian Angel unfurling May 20 07.JPG (49.57 KiB) Viewed 1243 times
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl: Got one from Chris back in 2003 and was so scared to loose it I got one nore from Holland when it came to Europe the next year. When I was going to move my hostas for the new house, I split my extra one and gave it to friends.
When I came home from Cuba, someone have thougt they needed it more han I did ( that one and some others :evil: )..so now I do not have any at all..and the stock here aren't good, so I have to wait for a new beauty :(

Weird, I know they stood on the ground, close to the edge of the garden, but I have and have had for the first day a lot of stuff standing outside, just under a deck - even a rather valuable saw onf a well known brand :hmm:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Pia, are you saying that you were the victim of hosta robbery? That's horrible! I wish I could send you one of my new starts.
I just hate it when that happens!
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

:eek: I am so sorry to hear about that Pia. Wish I could just drop another in the mail for you. Too bad for that big pond - the Atlantic - separating us :(
mooie

Post by mooie »

Guardian Angel Is one of my tops faves, and when all the house work it done it will grace the area by the front door. It should mimic it's evironment from across the street but its been sitting barerooted against a maple tree since March and it's still looking terrific. Now I kinda hate to move it! :lol: it's amazing how these guys I've been storing underneath trees have held their own and have actually tried to start rooting themselves since I seem to be so slow! :D Tell the siders and the roofers that. :D It's a great plant and I just love it!

Teresa
~Imagine~
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Got mine this year from Chris and it is gorgeous! Can't wait to watch it grow once I get it in its permanent spot here in a few weeks...
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

I bought a Guardian Angel for the hosta garden at my church - I'm afraid that I don't have enough space for another that will get fairly large.

I took a look at it after services this morning and all of the new growth is coming up solid blue-green. Is this one that takes awhile to develop its colouring? Or is it probably sporting/reverting? No camera with me today, but I'll try to get a pic of it later this week.

Ann
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Hey_J

Post by Hey_J »

I looked through my Photobucket, and it seems that in May was the only time
I snapped one of my G.A.! Does it qualify for this thread?

All the leaves are much darker right now, but you can still tell there is some variegation
to them! I wish all my leaves looked like the one at *2:00* all season!! :)
Janice
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Beautiful plant Janice!

I agree with you, I also wish it kept the light centers all year long, and this is definitely a better plant in the north than it is in the hotter areas of the south. That's why Guardian Angel would never qualify as a Hosta of the Year - it just doesn't get as pretty in warmer regions as compared to the cooler spots.

Thanks for sharing :)

Chris
John

Post by John »

ViolaAnn, yours is just showing the greener summer coloring...wait until you see it in spring.
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Thanks, John. That's what I was hoping. It's got quite a lot of new growth, so otherwise appears to be doing well.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Phil_and_Gayle
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Phil_and_Gayle »

Our Guardian Angel also lays flat and it doesn't really show any seasonal color changes. It looks pretty much the same today as it did in May. We're close to Kansas City Missouri - about as close to the "middle" of the country as can be and it usually gets terribly hot and dry here in August. This year has been unseasonably mild which may account for it's unchanged appearance. Last year it didn't fare so well and got a little "ratty" by the end of August. I also notice that ours isn't nearly as dense as yours Chris. Is there a way to encourage a more leafy habit?
Attachments
Guardian Angel - May 2009
Guardian Angel - May 2009
Guardian Angel - August 2009
Guardian Angel - August 2009
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Phil and Gayle,

That is a great plant of Guardian Angel you have there! About getting a more full look from it, that will just take time, though yours is well on its way to getting there :)

Thanks for sharing,

Chris
New Topic Post Reply