Whirlwind sports

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Whirlwind sports

Post by redcrx »

I cleaned a small area on the north side of my house. Took out the grass, weeds, wild iris and put in some hostas. I was focusing on some sports of Whirlwind. I put in Whirling Dervish and Dust Devil. The leaves are very thick - Whirling Dervish feels like leather.
Whirling Dervish 2009
Whirling Dervish 2009
Whirling Dervish 2009
Whirling Dervish 2009
Whirling Dervish 2009
Whirling Dervish 2009
Dust Devil 2009
Dust Devil 2009
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
jgh

Re: Whirlwind sports

Post by jgh »

Hope you have better luck with them than I have, Ed. I've got those three along with a Streaked Whirlwind in a grouping. Whirlwind is easy and vigorous, but the others haven't been nearly as strong growers and their mom... and they don't have all the twistiness either... my patience for them is running thin...
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

That is the brightest white Whirling Dervish I've ever seen, so was probably in quite a bit of sunlight. In the shade mine have a yellowish turning cream margin. They hold up okay, but in a lot of sunlight or during dry spells the margins burn somewhat. I moved mine to the edge of the swamp here, and they look and grow a lot better because of the extra moisture.

Dust Devil on the other hand has been a terrific plant and a great grower for me. In fact, that's a leaf of Dust Devil in my signature at the bottom of my posts. It has been a longtime favorite of mine, getting a third ring of color between the margin and center in late summer.
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

I was cleaning up this spot today and remembered I put up a post when I was put it in. My deer fence now cuts through the space. It's on the right in this photo. These plants are exposed to the deer and got a little eaten this season.
North Garden - September 3, 2015
North Garden - September 3, 2015
Bottom left is Mr Blue with Niko just above and to the left of it. Whirligig is to the right of Niko. A Gold Standard is top/left with my Right Around Morning Sunrise to the right of GS. Next to the right along the top row is a small Janet and Victor is on the right end of the row. Janet is almost invisible in the photo but there is a small Whirligig in front of it.
Coming down the right edge below Victor is Dust Devil and Emerald Necklace in the bottom/right corner. To the left of EN is Brenda's Beauty and in the middle of the photo is Whirling Dervish. There is a tiny Eternal Flame just above and right of Whirling Dervish.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
New Topic Post Reply