Browning Leaves! EEEkk!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
audre
USDA Zone: 5

Browning Leaves! EEEkk!

Post by audre »

I am wondering if anyone knows what is going wrong with my baby?

This just started, maybe 4 days ago. I've got a few doing this in various parts of the yard...
audreKossaRegalHelp.jpg
Any ideas/suggestions most appreciated.

Thanks
audre
newtohosta-no more

Re: Browning Leaves! EEEkk!

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Stress.....lack of water....too much water.....or just getting ready to go down for it's long winter's nap? Take your pick. :lol:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Yup, I was thinking the same thing - could be any number of things. It just isn't that unusual for this time of year. Quite a few of mine are doing that now, and when I checked the soil it had been getting very dry. That sure isn't the case today! Wow, another day and a half of soaking (nearly flooding) rainfall. Now if it will dry out for a few days I'll be able to get back to planting...
scootersbear

Post by scootersbear »

FALL!!! sucks but were seeing trees starting to turn
loisf

Post by loisf »

Just fall, I think. Several of mine are doing the same thing. They did last year, too.
audre

Post by audre »

LOL ok everyone thanks for holding my hand.

I feel kinda stoopid overreacting but it seemed WAY early for leaves to be turning brown for winter!! :eek: My old guys are still all going strong so I was getting a bit nervous about all my new-this-year plants - especially after having gotten so irrationally attached to the darned things.

audre :o
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

audre.......I've noticed that some hostas start to go down much earlier than others, just as some appear earlier in the spring. Sometimes the time difference can be a month or more! It's always better to ask if you're worried about something, then to just worry about it. :lol:
BTW....love your avatar! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

audre wrote:LOL ok everyone thanks for holding my hand.

I feel kinda stoopid overreacting but it seemed WAY early for leaves to be turning brown for winter!! :eek: My old guys are still all going strong so I was getting a bit nervous about all my new-this-year plants - especially after having gotten so irrationally attached to the darned things.

audre :o
Another thing, Audre, if it was new this year, it may have been forced early in a greenhouse, causing it to go down early, too. Or, it may have been started in a different zone from you...
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
gamekeeper

Post by gamekeeper »

Our Hosta's are a mixed bag every year some start stressing way before others.We also have some browning and I have two that I split 10 days ago and they look like they never have been touched even the blooms look good,figure.
audre

Post by audre »

yah all those things to keep in mind! thanks everyone. i'm just shocked that it started happening to so many, all at once, like someone flipped a switch! i thought i'd done something really bad to piss off the hosta-spirits :o

a side note to look up -- i'm wondering if those that brown out early are related in their family trees -- will have to do some spot checks to see if there is anything in common with them in some way.

peace,
audre
audre

Post by audre »

Oh sorry... forgot to say thanks Joan, for the nice comment on my avatar. I love CG art and she is one of my favorite characters - created one night with too much time on my hands and way too much caffeine LOL.

Peace,
Audre
New Topic Post Reply