Beautiful Hosta Bloom Cluster

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
GrannyNanny

Beautiful Hosta Bloom Cluster

Post by GrannyNanny »

Haven't posted pics on this forum for months -- maybe several years -- but I'm back at it again. This is one of three clusters of hosta blooms that appeared right down next to the foliage of H. Camelot this year. I suppose they were meant to be strung out along a tall petiole, but somehow they all just got clustered at the base. I don't remember if this plant ever did this before, so I'll have to watch out for its bloom habit next year. Meanwhile, they sure were gorgeous! Have a look....Phyllis
PS The clusters made tons of seeds, too! What a cute plant Camelot is -- rounded blue leaves, and very bushy.
Attachments
Web-Camelot-blossom-cluster.jpg
renaldo75

Re: Beautiful Hosta Bloom Cluster

Post by renaldo75 »

That is pretty amazing, Phyllis!! 8-) It almost looks like an agapanthus bloom.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Phyllis, I suspect this is a form of fasciation. Take a close look at the scape and see if there is evidence of longitudenal ridges perhaps, possibly with a twist, or a scape much thicker then what you'd expect it to be... I've certainly seen lots of unusual things in the way a number of my perennials have flowered this year, not just Hostas, but I've seen fasciation in Lilies and several samples of Sedum. In Hostas they covered the gamut from twisted scapes to flowers right at soil level to conjoined scapes, it's been a strange year for flowers for me.
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Gorgeous photo, Phyllis!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
audre
USDA Zone: 5

Post by audre »

wowow, those are awesome. i love the bunched effect with shorter scapes.

i bought a halcyon from a nursery this year just because it had one of those mutant flower stalks on it with a blob of flowers, much like yours. i am hoping it's not a one-time thing and next year we'll get the midget blooms again.
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Crazy fasciation. I posted a pic of a lily doing the same thing in the Lily forum ("Freak of nature").
New Topic Post Reply